Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

The vast majority of vaccinated people don’t have swollen lymph nodes – Moderna reported 16% after the 2nd shot. It’s not a reason to avoid the vaccine in any case – it is just a consideration in the timing of the mammogram. I just received my #2 Moderna and had very little reaction – if it’s any consolation. I get that you had a history of unpleasant reactions – which I don’t have – but I did have much stronger reaction this year to a pneumonia shot and flu shot.

Keep in mind that the choice isn’t vaccine vs. no-vaccine. The choice is vaccine vs. potential unprotected exposure to Covid. My daughter caught Covid two weeks ago - she thought she was being as careful as possible, and yet somehow or other she was exposed. Fortunately, she had only a very mildly symptomatic case – but the point is that no matter how careful any one of is, there is always the potential of exposure – and with more and more people being vaccinated, you can probably expect to see a loosening of restrictions (more people out & about, less care or concern about masks). Those of us who have been vaccinated can feel relatively safe, but it just creates a greater potential overall for exposure to the unvaccinated as life starts to shift toward “normal”.

And if your concern is because of your tendency toward autoimmune issues – that just makes the potential for harm from an actual covid infection that much worse.

That being said, as long as demand exceeds supply, there really is no particular reason for anyone who is reticent to push their way to the front of the line. Maybe you would do better with the 1-dose J&J vaccine – at least that’s only one shot to worry about in terms of reaction.

3 Likes

I hadn’t thought of the issue of the next mammogram being diagnostic and out-of-pocket!

Thank you for sharing addt’l thoughts. Too many spinning plates in the timing. It’s tax season and I can’t afford one hour of feeling ill, my son is getting married mid-April, (big wedding, would like shot before),and based on mammo history, I don’t want extra and ultimately non-necessary testing/lymph node issues. Been there, done that…multiple times.

This morning I scheduled a J & J shot next weekend. Have no client appts on the weekend, will be fully vaccinated before the wedding, and time for potential lymph issues to calm down before a May mammo. Glad to be done thinking about it. Thanks again for helpful comments.

7 Likes

Just want to comment that there is a distinction between “reactions” and “side effects.” And a third category would be autoimmune responses.

I am not concerned about side effects. I am concerned about immediate or short term reactions (severe allergy, inflammation, anaphylaxis). I am concerned about my overreactive immune system. And I am concerned that, as always, stoking my immune system with a vaccine will also stoke an autoimmune attack in my body.

Side effects from the vaccine, however, severe- including swollen lymph nodes- don’t concern me. I am very willing to suffer for several days in order to see my kids and mother and not live in fear of COVID.

Yet, I think I am about to cancel my third vaccine appointment. My body just hasn’t settled down from its exposure to polyethylene glycol (PEG)and my reactivity is up. Oh and by the way, the polysorbate 80 in the J and J is related to polyethylene gycol and they are cross-reactive.

2 Likes

I definitely understand your decision to put it off. You have some uncommon health issues to consider. You are approaching it in a smart manner IMO and I hope you are able to have it soon

2 Likes

Thank you for adding the distinction. Definitely understand you waiting a bit longer. Hoping the issues from the PEG clear up and you can get the vaccine soon.

Thank you! I am going to consult an immunologist I have seen in the past, and maybe also pursue skin allergy tests for PEG. Sometimes anxiety is reasonable and provides guidance!

I anticipate vaccines opening up to more and more people and maybe having a lot of trouble finding a slot, but I really do have to slow this down.

Wanted to take care of my mother again and see my daughter after a year and a half. I also have to find an apartment in a month and was going to feel safer doing that.

Thanks for “listening.”

4 Likes

Just for others to know: the polysorbate 80 in the J and J vaccine is indeed closely related to the polyethylene glycol (PEG) in the other two vaccines. Reading CDC info and info by an MGH immunologist, sensitive folks need to consider this and understand that precautions are needed with J and J if you are sensitive to PEG. At this point, I want to have a vaccine -any vaccine- close to medical care!

1 Like

That’s great! Congrats to your son – and you definitely want to be vaccinated well ahead of a big wedding!

That depends on your insurance. I had diagnostic mammograms every six months for two years and only paid my $10 copay. So…check your plan.

My S has huge vaccine reluctance due to prior vaccine allergies. He will be unhappily getting his first of two Covid vaccines on Friday, at work. I imagine he could get out of it if he pushed back, but I am secretly relieved that he will be getting it. He said that he feels like he is jumping the line ahead of people who need it more than he does, but he is at a lab so falls under the healthcare group.

3 Likes

Yes, I don’t expect that to be the case for my insurance, so it was meant to be a general comment.

I watched a straightforward (for a lay-person) video produced by the JAMA network about the MRNA vaccines.

I though it could be very helpful to someone who was reluctant - it covers safety, efficacy, etc.

Coronavirus mRNA Vaccine Safety and Efficacy - YouTube

In it, one expert quotes who he considers the father of the modern vaccines - I never breath a sigh of relief until the first 3 million doses are out there.

The expert then says we are well past 3 million doses.

3 Likes

i am curious as to what others’ work places are talking about or doing with bringing people back to the office. We are seeing two fractions emerging as talks are starting about bringing back workers — Those who can not get a vaccine - and those who chose not to get one and at the same time do not want to go back to the office but should be there. ??? would love to hear any thoughts on how others are working with vaccine reluctance and the work place.

We are a smaller department with bigger reach but health care and 100% of our staff has been vaccinated. We have been back to work at least part time in our office setting since July and would probably be back full time now but our last HR agreement went through May 2021 so we are allowed to continue part time office and part time WFH. At this time June 1 we will be in the office full time.

I know this is not typical. While our environment was NOT the best place to be initially during COVID, I sort of feel like now it’s a really safe place to be.

2 Likes

My volunteer “job” has requested vaccine proof if someone wants to work side by side with someone else who also has to show proof of vaccine. Without that, you are not able to do the “jobs” that have two folks at the same time.

2 Likes

The coworker that sits at the most 5 feet from me, finally decided she would get the vaccine! I do not know what changed her mind, nor do I care, but excited to hear she will receive it. That said, it hasn’t happened yet, so will wait for the happy dance!

14 Likes

The CCRC where my mom will return to (we took her out during covid) has 98% of its residents and most of its staff fully vaccinated. Anyone one nor fully vaccinated needs to be tested before entering every time @$30. They also require wearing surgical (not cloth) masks on premises—no exceptions.

6 Likes

@HimOM I wish all facilities had this policy!

They have not had any infections in independent living at all. In assisted living, only 3 residents were infected and all recovered. They were infected by staff that work at multiple facilities.

They are being very careful and it’s keeping everyone safe.

2 Likes