Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Capture

6 Likes

According to NYT, Montana, Texas, and Utah bans may no longer apply

At least three states that banned vaccine requirements by law or executive order — Montana, Texas and Utah — did so specifically because the three vaccines in use in the United States were being administered under emergency-use authorizations, not full approval.

Now one of the vaccines has that approval, undercutting that justification and potentially setting the stage for more of the kind of legal battles that have erupted around the country over the bans, often pitting cities, counties or school districts that want stricter vaccine requirements against governors who say they want to protect individual freedom.

It is the same ship. One of the vaccinated who tested positive died a week after the Forbes article was written.

1 Like

When I posted the news about FDA approval on my Facebook page, this was one of the replies I got: “Why can’t people let thing be. So sad like if we were so concerned about death issues we would share Christ more instead of this. Sad state in our nation.” Good grief. That’s what we’re up against. This is an older woman who attended the church I used to go to. I’m glad I don’t have any direct contact with her anymore.

3 Likes

Vastly more will die of covid who are unvaccinated. One doesn’t trump many.

Did anyone see Jordan Klepper at the recent antivax rally in NYC? It’s hilarious. I love that all he does is ask people questions about what they just said, or simply reiterate their words.

7 Likes

There’re risks in everything. Every year thousands of people, young and old, die of choking in the US alone. But no one stops eating. The benefit, and indeed the necessity, of eating far outweighs the risk of choking. As of now, vaccination is the only viable path to stop the spread of the virus and return to a more normal life for everyone.

7 Likes

Thanks for posting that. My kids (and us parents) enjoy watching Jordan Klepper and I hadn’t seen that one before. I just sent it to them.

It’s really funny until one realizes it’s how people actually think. Then it’s sad.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s definitely true.

We always watch his pieces, he is great, but always floored by the comments.

1 Like

I am beyond furious that our local federal agency, Johnson Space Center, is just using an honor system for employees and contractors to comply with vax or testing requirements. If asked, employees just need to claim they tested negative at home recently. Utterly useless.

1 Like

When smart, educated people believe that they’ll be forced at gun point to get vaccinated due to some massive conspiracy and in the meantime will lose the ability to work, bank, shop, etc., and that the vaccine will be deadly for them, I don’t know how to respond. Asking questions is seen as attacking and results in hysterics. So much is political, in their minds, and no one is trustworthy.

1 Like

They have trustworthy people in their minds. It could be the grocery store clerk or someone on FB or pretty much anywhere else. They just have to be saying what they want to hear and they’re telling the truth.

It’s all those with mainstream data, fact checkers, or similar who can’t be trusted. They’re all in cahoots with each other to do, well, something evil.

It’s the same at my parent’s IL community. Each time I visit, I sign in and attest that I haven’t had symptoms recently, or knowingly been exposed to anyone w/ covid, and that I am vaxed or tested negative recently. I don’t have to show a vax card or test result. Thing is, I’m now in their system, they have my health and contact information as well as signature. They are quite easily able to contact-trace and catch me in a lie. Perhaps I’m not cooperative with that process, but there would be consequences nonetheless: no more visits, perhaps my parents being kicked out, and the unlikely but positive possibility of a criminal referral. Most families who visit their folks actually would care about all of that, which is precisely why they can run a system of attestation rather than making people show their vax card or test result.

Perhaps it’s the same at the Johnson Space Center? Wouldn’t someone caught in a lie be subject to immediate termination or a cancelled vendor contract at minimum?

nope, the government HR says first time is a warning, and consequences go up thereafter. How would one even establish noncompliance if one can just say a home test was negative?

People worry that vaccines are untested and dangerous, but they will ingest livestock medication.

Not in all cases of course, but there’s so much cognitive dissonance associated with vaccine reluctance it’s hard to imagine how to change those people’s minds.

8 Likes

One gets the distinct impression that advances in medicine have made people relatively complacent and resistant to public health measures.

The Bible has several references to masks, social distancing, etc. like Leviticus 13:45-46 and Numbers 5:2. Much of this had to do with ritual purity and fear of pollution or contagion, of course, but there were health benefits as well.

2 Likes

Yes I’m seeing that distrust. I keep posting that I have faith in the 96% of doctors polled who said they’re vaccinated. That’s pretty overwhelming support. Not all those people can be in on a conspiracy!

2 Likes

I’m beginning to wonder about that poll, whether it was representative or whether doctors were telling the truth. This is a polarized issue, and there might be “shy opponents” to vaccination who are lying about it due to worries about their future employment or promotion. I keep going back to Nate Silver and the correlated errors in the 2016 presidential election. Every doc I’ve spoken to in my community is strongly for the vaccine, but this is a state where 2/3’rds of the 16+ group is fully vaxed, and I live in the metro which has even higher vax rates than that. There is strong community “pressure” (for lack of a better word) to talk up the vaccine. Not representative of a good amount of the country, in other words.

Interestingly, I scheduled a yearly “womens’ health” preventative screening appointment the other day and was assured by the scheduler that I did NOT have to disclose my vax status; they treat everyone the same and ask that everyone wear a mask. I doubt they’d ever refuse to see anyone due to lack of vax; they’d be excluding many marginalized women if they did that. Can’t even imagine the uncomplimentary optics and news coverage, and I suspect they’d be tossed under the bus by a few national advocacy groups and medical associations.

1 Like

my son who got the JnJ 2 1/2 weeks ago is complaining that since he got the vaccine he has had regular heartburn ; this morning he texted me from school that he had joint pain. He was so anti-vax but had to get it, and I think some of this could be “self prophecy” but in some ways I am concerned. I told him to go to the student health center to start. I did point out that if he had these affects, imagine getting Covid , and was told that it was different, he is 20 years old, blah blah blah. He is out to prove that getting the vaccine was bad for him, yet I sit here feeling happy that he got it. The only thing is if what if he was that one in a thousand/million which a real problem.