Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Yep - that is why a vax requirement for getting on to an airplane will be far more helpful than a vax requirement for getting onto a local train and bus.

Airplane travel do not spread the virus by sick passengers infecting other passengers as much as it spreads the virus by transporting the vectors. A sick person getting on to an airplane is bringing the virus to a new location. Even if they do not spread it to a single person on the airplane, they could potentially spread it far wider than a sick person taking a bus to work.

Disease does not spread much on the airplanes, but spread at the airport is a different issue altogether.

1 Like

Exactly my point. Based on studies posed on cc, more lower income folks are unvaccinated, so if you want to encourage them to vax-up

fwiw: was in NYC 2x last month. Unlike airplanes, which don’t fly without their air circulation going, the HVAC on subway cars does fail and they continue to remain in service.

Data source, please? (Yes, I get the logic of your statement, but if we vaccinated 90% of the current unvaccinated, transportation of vectors for other regions would not be so much of a problem, correct?)

Do you have a cite for that, too?

3 Likes

MERV 7 is poor filtration, assuming that the filters are even replaced regularly.

deleted for privacy reasons

4 Likes

I’m going to repeat Blue’s question: where’s the science showing this is the case? Or how about just providing the data?

Sorry about your husband’s issues. I would also suggest talking to your/his physician as they would know you best. Having his IgG Spike Protein antibody levels checked is a possibility, but it isn’t recommended by the CDC because there could be interpretive problems. For instance, one patient had high levels, thought they were good and became lost to follow up. Well antibody levels wane over time, we don’t know how quickly, and he later returned to the ED with COVID and had to be admitted. Also, there’s a patient with the highest antibody titer we do (1:1350) who is sick and admitted. Why? Well, we don’t know the viral load they were exposed to and we don’t know if they have cellular immunity problems. But if someone is immunocompromised like your husband then I would want them checked. If high, it provides some level of comfort. If low, get a booster. FDA allows it now for this very reason.

2 Likes

Look internationally, since we don’t keep much data (at least since the pandemic began) in the US, unfortunately. The virus moved from country to country, and continent to continent, highly correlated with the frequency of flights. The latest wave in SE Asia, for example, came from the Indian Subcontinent. Viruses don’t travel. People do.

1 Like

I was about to say that.
The virus originated in China and it didn’t swim across the Pacific. Where I live, once the initial case popped up in the community, and the second and the third, etc, will initially there was the tracing to figure out how it got here and efforts to try to contain it. At that time, it was determined that someone brought it from China and a large group brought it from a cruise in Egypt, all returned via airplane and spread locally.

1 Like

The virus doesn’t care what the mode of transportation is/was. When it was first a “thing” back in 2020 PA’s hotspots correlated well to our major travel routes. I 81, I 95, Rt 15, Rt 30, etc, and then the specific hot spots were usually right where people like to stop on those routes - even if they were in more rural areas.

To use a fun film title, it traveled (still does), by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

2 Likes

That doesn’t mean that people spread the virus on an international flight. You would need data showing that an outbreak occurred on a flight.

I think your issue is with travel, not with airplanes. If people come across our borders with Covid - via boat, bus, plane, walking or driving - they will spread it once they get here, including newer and more lethal variants that originated abroad. Currently those coming in from outside the US must test negative 72 hours prior to arrival; haven’t seen data on how effectively that prevents spread. Practically all from other countries don’t even have access to the effective vaccines that we have - JHU, for instance, is now requiring all international students to re-vax with an FDA-approved vaccine. So proof of vaccination for an international traveler simply won’t work. You either need to provide mandatory quarantine until they test negative here, or close all borders completely.

4 Likes

And of course, we now know that even those fully vaccinated with Pfizer & Moderna (the highest efficacy) can be reinfected and carriers of Delta even when asymptomatic. So, even if an international (or domestic) traveller was vaccinated with either of these two and had proof positive of the vaccination, doesn’t mean she is still not a Delta vector.

3 Likes

But note that your example is civil liability, not criminal prosecution (and crimes relating to hitting someone with a car negligently but not intentionally are something other than assault).

This might be the wrong place, but i would love info if people have it: - about the delta variant - if you are vaccinated, had a delta breakthrough , can you catch delta again? Or are you sort of double immune? i’m not seeing much about this; just curious.

Masks on the students, and mask on the teacher some, but not all, of the time, along with the open windows, open door, and air filter, were insufficient to prevent spread. Happy now with this statement?

Wow - Just noticed from one of the other Covid threads that the state of HI is getting slammed with Covid. I thought they had very strict measures in place, including requiring visitors to be vaxed or test negative. Current average infection rate is at 52 cases/100,000 compared to 58/100,000 in TX. And they are out of ICU beds at the state’s largest hospital. Covid admits have increased six-fold since July. The governor has asked visitors to stay away. The state is 73% of 12+ vaccinated.

1 Like

No I mean civil cases. If a child from that classroom, for example, gets seriously ill, or a parent, and they have lost wages, medical bills, pain and suffering, whatever. Civil case, against the teacher, against the school district, wherever the money is. And if someone dies, we’ll then it’s up to the DA.

Seems very unlikely. It would open the door to lawsuits for any type of illness, such as the flu, which results in medical expenses, lost wages or death.

True, it would be hard to prove, but there isn’t the tracing for the flu like there is with this. But like I said, I googled something like COVID lawsuit ot something and there very first item was a Texas attorney