Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

This one

But doesn’t that cover intentional (rather than unintentional but possibly negligent) spreading of a virus?

If you add mask on the infected and symptomatic teacher some, but not all of the time, I guess so.

I stand corrected. You’re right that people can be criminally charged for coughing or spitting on someone whether or not they have Covid. And you could be sued civilly too. Whether the suit would be successful is fact dependent.

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/personal-injury/can-i-get-sued-for-infecting-someone-with-coronavirus.html

I think in this case it opens the door to litigation. The teacher came to school intentionally knowing that they were sick, then acted recklessly by taking off the mask. I’m sure there’s a lawyer somewhere that would take this case if someone wanted to pursue. Then it opens the floodgates.

1 Like

I guess it was only a matter of time, though it says he died of Covid, not specifically because he took Ivermectin. Another story to see if any of his followers change their tune or not. At 57 he wasn’t that old IMO:

The CDC page says that the teacher (at least initially) attributed the symptoms to allergies. Also, the spreading could have occurred (and probably did) in class before symptoms started, based on typical COVID-19 high contagiousness for 2-4 days before symptoms start. Note that this presymptomatic spread is what makes it difficult to control spreading.

Taking off the mask in the indoor class may be more problematic, but even full masking in a 5 to 6 hour school day indoors may not stop the spread (if masks are about 2/3 effective outbound and 1/3 effective inbound, then they would reduce spread by 7/9, which would make a 5 to 6 hour school day with full masks equivalent to about 66 to 80 minutes with no masks – still a rather long indoor exposure in terms of getting COVID-19 from someone contagious with it).

Sad. He probably delayed going to the hospital until it was too late as well.

It still boggles my mind that seemingly intelligent people willingly trust their lives to a “secret cure” livestock med that they probably have no idea what’s in it or how it works rather than trusting their lives to multitudes of doctors and hundreds of millions of safely vaxed people with data to prove it.

I don’t get it. If it were in a fiction movie or book most would believe it’s not realistic.

16 Likes

It tells you how gullible one becomes once brainwashed.

4 Likes

Yes, we are having a huge crush of covid cases because some areas of our state have only 30% vaccinated! They are the areas that are slamming the hospitals. It is very, very bad.

My relative had to operate on a covid patient. He was given a space suit type outfit, complete with a fan that provided cooling while he was wearing the outfit. The hospital was chock full of covid patients on vents. :frowning:

Airlines actively discourage this type of studies. One of the few I’m aware of is the study of a flight to New Zealand on Air New Zealand. A few dozens of passengers were found to be infected on that flight.

Fortunately (or unfortunately), you don’t even need this type of studies to draw a conclusion. Hawaii didn’t have many cases until it opened up for travel. Now, it has over a thousand new cases every day. Where do you think the virus came from? New Zealand had zero case for months until a traveler from Sydney brought the virus to Wellington just recently (New Zealand, unlike the US, actually traced the spread of the virus). The whole country is now in lockdown in an attempt to contain the spread of the virus.

3 Likes

My husband’s company tried something new at their sites with low vaccine numbers. They brought in MDs to lead a town hall about Covid. They’ve seen a huge uptick in staff getting vaccinated.

Another site has a staffer’s 30 year old wife die of Covid and that made an impact as well.

They are planning to have MDs go talk to all the plants in areas with low vaccine rates. :crossed_fingers:

14 Likes

Mayo Clinic’s grand rounds
Contains lots of scientific data that answers many questions on this thread. The lecture is 30 minutes, the rest is Q and A. The Continuing COVID-19 Pandemic: Current Issues and Glimpse Into the Future - YouTube

1 Like

I am sometimes reminded of the anabaptists and flagellants during medieval plague epidemics. Who cares what works (and avoiding crowds was very early known to work), let’s just come up with some completely ludicrous idea and people will go nuts.

That’s not exactly an evidence-based line of reasoning. Especially since . . .

From people who were fully vaccinated before they got on the plane. So how’s that vaccination mandate for air travel going to work, again?

1 Like

I love statements like “My spouse feels pretty protected
”. What does that mean? The virus doesn’t say, “Oh, gee, you eat well and feel safe, so I won’t attack you!! It’s your lucky day!” A lot of my Facebook friends really seem to think that’s the case, though.

4 Likes

I’m guessing this statement is aimed at me since I’m the one who said my spouse feels pretty protected. Well, he had Covid and one dose of Pfizer. According to the most recent study , natural immunity provides 13 times more protection than two doses of Pfizer and one dose with natural immunity is even better. I have two doses of Pfizer. And based on what’s happening around us our vaccines aren’t doing such a great job. So yes, the virus can effect either one of us.
However, my spouse does in fact feel extremely protected. I too feel protected but I believe he is more protected than I am.
So your statement of oh gee I eat well so the virus won’t attack me, it’s my lucky day comparison works just the same for those with natural immunity as well as those vaccinated.

1 Like

Being fully vaccinated doesn’t mean they don’t carry the virus. It reduces the chance of them carrying the virus, and if they do carry the virus, they may carry lower amount of the virus.

2 Likes

That’s the thing that is hard for me to figure out.

There’s one study that says the best immunity is Covid + one shot of vaccine.

Then I read that the best immunity is 2 shots of the Covid vaccine.

2 shots of JNJ 6 months apart is better than 2 shots of Moderna.

It’s all so hard to draw conclusions from a bunch of studies that say different things. It just makes my head spin.

Some people say get a antibody test to see how your immunity is staying. Some people say that isn’t very accurate.

I think we have to figure out what works best for us. But to me, what is the best, is kinda a crapshoot. Because tomorrow may find yet another finding.

But it’s ok, because I feel that I do need to have faith in that we are protected by being vaccinated. But it’s also why I feel skeptical that everyday (apparently) I see another study as to which combination is the “best”.

4 Likes