Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

That’s so great. I wish my vaccine reluctant son and his pregnant wife would take the vaccine. We’re barely speaking. What changed their minds?

My 97 yo mother lives in a senior living facility in Memphis that is connected to a assisted living facility and a nursing home. In their weekly newsletter today, the director said that he was requiring all employees to be vaccinated. They had lost a few employees and he expected that he would lose a few more, but that their mission of protecting their residents came first. I sent him a grateful email thanking him for making that choice.

I wonder if some of the reluctant will get vaccinated rather than look for a new job.

12 Likes

It finally became more of a pain to not be vaccinated. Masks at work, having to test before entering venues, excluded from more and more places.

The big one was they have a trip to Hawaii planned for the end of Sept. Not sure if they are still going, but probably.

They travel a lot (to Florida) and it was ridiculous that they weren’t vaccinated. They’ve been 4 times so far this year, and still have a two week trip planned for Thanksgiving (including a sports event and a wedding).

Yours is a gracious, kind, and correct response. Mine might have been, “What the H took you so long?”

6 Likes

A couple of interesting articles:

I wonder what these statistics would be if more people had been vaccinated earlier. One caveat is that testing was pretty poor for atleast a third of 2020 so that might skew the numbers. Still a sad report for the country. 650,000 have died.

And more masking, social distancing, caution back then. Once the CDC said no masks, which was too early and out of nowhere IMO, and right before delta hit, well, then it’s hard to go back once you’ve opened things up. And then we have a variant that is much more highly transmissible this year.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting the very interesting article on America having to decide how much Covid-19 risk it will tolerate. I am using it for a discussion on how much risk school boards are willing to take to keep students in k-12 face to face.

2 Likes

Another way hospital services may be impacted.

Honestly? I’d rather go somewhere else than have my babies exposed by nurses or other workers who refuse to be vaccinated.

18 Likes

Me too. But if you don’t have that option I feel badly for those moms to be who will be impacted.

4 Likes

Perhaps they should move the vaccine-refusing health care workers to the COVID-19 ward to free up vaccinated health care workers for other parts of the hospital. After all, the vaccine-refusing health care workers evidently do not believe that COVID-19 is a serious-enough threat to them, so they have no reason to object working in the COVID-19 ward. Unlike most patients, the patients in the COVID-19 ward do not have any reason to worry about unvaccinated health care workers giving them COVID-19, because they already have COVID-19.

24 Likes

Fortunately it’s a smaller hospital and doesn’t deliver a lot of babies, unlike city hospitals. (Lowville is quite near where I grew up.) Watertown has a (larger) hospital roughly half an hour away, so can hopefully take on the extra for the two weeks they’re suspending deliveries. They may know they aren’t expecting many during those two weeks, but at least they’re giving women and doctors a heads up.

ETA: Just googled the population of Lewis County (where Lowville is). The population of the whole county is just 26,572 according to Google - hence - not many babies being delivered there, plus any high risk probably had to go elsewhere regardless.

3 Likes

Sort of another way, I guess. But it still comes down to other people suffering because some people refuse to get vaccinated.

1 Like

That’s brilliant. I like the way you think. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wonder if the women giving birth will still have L&D covered as in-network if they have to go to a different hospital, or will they be paying the economic price for those healthcare workers who refuse to vax?

As a registered nurse, this just makes me SICK. I’ll leave it at that so as not to be banned from CC.

15 Likes

Why hasn’t anyone thought of that? Seriously, it is what all hospitals should do!

3 Likes

Because you have to have special training to work on those floors. For physicians, critical care, nursing ICU, respiratory therapists. There are many other people who work in hospitals that would not be qualified: medical technicians, radiology technicians, housekeeping, pharmacists, physical therapists, etc

4 Likes

Deleted…I apologize for not vetting that source more thoroughly!