Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I hope they get massive jail time and fines, not to mention her being able to file a civil suit for medical/mental issues from it.

11 Likes

Same. A segment of the population is against it for their own reasons, usually because they’ve been duped, but it’s not the majority even in the area I live in. Most I talk with have been vaccinated and are quite willing to get boosters if they’re available.

As for us Creeklanders, we’re watching the data from Israel. It might be sad that I trust them and their data more than anything here in the US, but there you go.

1 Like

That is not what I am saying, nor am I skeptical of the vaccine. I took the absolute first opportunity available to me to get vaccinated, encouraged successfully my family to get vaxed and implemented an education and incentive plan as an employer that resulted in a 90% participation rate for a mid sized company.

I am however skeptical of politicians (of both parties) and I think the American people share my skepticism for the politicization of health emergencies. I am skeptical of an administration that says follow the science and get a booster months in advance of their own health experts having enough data to confirm the health benefit.

The mixed messaging and front running of local scientific authorities and experts makes it harder for people like me who are trying to persuade and convince those who are vaccine resistant to do what science has shown is in both their individual and society’s best interest.

I was just as critical of the prior administrations handling and think that a consistent expectation of our leaders should be applied.

Why not blame the politicians who gave the doubters, skeptics and lunatic fringe the booster issue to rally around? They should follow their rallying cry and allow science to lead.

5 Likes

How a hospital handles requests for religious exemptions based on the fetal cell line issue:

11 Likes

The case (and the science) for vaccination is clear. However, the case (and the science) for a booster isn’t so clear. The new infections and the breakthrough cases are mostly among the young and the active, who are either unvaccinated or not taking sufficient precaution to avoid infections. There aren’t a lot of infections among those who are being careful at places like nursing homes (even though they were among the earliest to be vaccinated). So what would the boosters accomplish? Is it that we can remain active without taking other precautions?

2 Likes

Thanks for the link to that article. I sent it on to my lads who debate online in case they want to use it.

From the article:

The form includes a list of 30 commonly used medicines that “fall into the same category as the COVID-19 vaccine in their use of fetal cell lines,” Conway Regional said.

The list includes Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, aspirin, Tums, Lipitor, Senokot, Motrin, ibuprofen, Maalox, Ex-Lax, Benadryl, Sudafed, albuterol, Preparation H, MMR vaccine, Claritin, Zoloft, Prilosec OTC, and azithromycin.

3 Likes

I just watched the video - it was three women who assaulted the hostess.

2 Likes

Question about the monoclonal antibodies. Who pays for the treatment? Is it free through the fed gov’t covid response, or does it get billed through your insurance? Would the ER visit at least be billed through the insurance? We just found out that friends of ours who moved far away all have it. I’m pretty sure they are anti vaccine. One of them went to the ER and got the antibodies. I was wondering if they would at least have to $$$ for it.

On the bright side, H was venting to a co-worker who admitted they were not vaccinated yet, so I helped them figure out which places had which vaccines and I think they are going today.

1 Like

An unvaccinated couple in their 70s here in Maine just passed away from COVID, not long after their 48th wedding anniversary. Their son said that a medical professional advised them to not get vaccinated. It seems fishy to me that both of them were in the very small group of people who should get that advice.

My uncle, 78, will still not get vaccinated after my aunt has been to the ER twice in the past week. I hope they’re not a repeat of this story. :cry:

Police said three women from Texas — a 49-year-old, 44-year-old and her 21-year-old daughter — were taken into custody, given desk appearance tickets and released.

I’d like to see them hauled off to spend a night or two in jail.

5 Likes

Federal government pays. Also pays for the vaccine. The latter is over $1,000 cheaper. Hummm. It seems there are a number of people choosing the MAb over the vaccine. Should be a way to pass the cost on to them. Hopefully the government can figure out a way.

9 Likes

me too, but simple assault is not much of an offense in NYC (or other big cities) anymore.

Such things are generally governed by state law. In New York (state):

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/120.00

Well, the Israelis had a massive drop in hospitalizations after booster shots and have given about 3 million of them now.

1 Like

yes, and no. If the local (city) prosecutor declines to prosecute and/or covid conditions in the local jails are such that early release is common place…

1 Like

Exactly. That sounds like quite (NOT) a deterrent. If they never set foot in NY state again, would they pretty much get off scot-free?

The rise in breakthrough cases in Israel was primarily due to the vaccinated who didn’t take other precautions. There’s no doubt that a booster would have increased immunity for some of these people, but that doesn’t mean a booster is necessary or without side effect for everyone. There usually are negative consequences for too much of a good thing. For example, we don’t take more antibiotics than necessary to cure a bacteria infection.

1 Like

Might be a trade-off NY is willing to make.

1 Like

I don’t actually think it will matter much anymore. Delta is beginning to wane and likely will have burned out by the time the US government gets around to doing anything. While boosters will now help at the individual level, it is likely too late to make an actual public health difference in the US at this point. That would have required a rapid decision and implementation, as in Israel and parts of Europe.

4 Likes

It would be great if the vaccine weren’t political, but that ship left the dock long ago. Furthermore, as it appears that the administration made a political rather than public health calculation in declaring open access to boosters beginning Sept 20, there’s more than one side responsible for the politicizing.

In answer to your excellent points, there currently is no booster schedule. There may be one soon for Pfizer (as soon as today!) but it may well be prioritized for 65+, which makes sense from a public health standpoint. Moderna and J&J have yet to submit the appropriate data for their booster approval, so anyone who got those series will potentially need to wait even longer. What all this means for students and most employees is that there will be no booster mandate for awhile, but given that the original promise was for 8+ months after full vaccination anyway, there may well be little change from a practical standpoint. For instance, even if I felt desperate for a booster right now because my fear of Delta was driving my thoughts and preferences - I would need to wait till after the first of the year to be eligible for one.

Here is something that I found to be quite helpful in terms of understanding all that’s happening around the decision for boosters. Dr. Stephen Weber is the Chief Medical Officer for UChicago Health Systems and, along with Dr. Emily Landon, is advising the University of Chicago on Covid policies and practices for the upcoming academic year. The full FAQ interview is also included, and you can find his take on the boosters beginning around 9:13 or so on the video. Recorded about a week ago:

Interviewer: Dr Weber, can you talk about the latest CDC guidance, or the guidance from other experts, on the need for booster shots for Covid 19?

Dr. Stephen Weber: This is very much an emerging area and probably after a couple of viewings of a message like this, we may need to update it again. Folks have seen that there are already recommendations out for people with really significant problems with their immune system, maybe as a result of an organ transplantation, or different medications that they’re taking that reduce the effectiveness of their immune system, and we’re already seeing those folks getting vaccinated not just at our medical center, but across the city and, really, all over the country. What’s out there right now and anticipated sometime between today’s date and September 20th is more information and guidance for the rest of the population. We hear and understand that there’s going to be recommendations coming from the Food and Drug Administration and the CDC to really give clarity about how we’ll prioritize other individuals in terms of booster or third doses of vaccine for those who received the mRNA vaccines, the Moderna and Pfizer. So there is going to be a lot more information coming out about that, but I think it’s worth noting that for many people, maybe even for most people, this doesn’t need to feel like a crisis or a race. We know, and the other experts identified, those individuals at highest risk - some that I mentioned already. For the rest of us, whether healthcare workers who might have been vaccinated nine or 10 months ago, or for older Americans and older people who understand they might be at some higher risk, there’ll be some orderly progress in going through that list. But recognize that even where we see there’s going to be an advantage at some point for boosters, folks aren’t going to need to feel that there’s a race to get to the nearest Walgreens or into their doctors on that day to get boosted.