Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

But the accommodations they offer must not impose an undue burden or more than minimal cost to the employer

I don’t think that’s true
for example, there are many private colleges that are not allowing religious exemptions for covid vaccines. I imagine they have legal staff approval for that policy.

3 Likes

Seems you’re working hard to find straws to grasp to me.

If someone refuses a vaccine claiming their decision is due to fetal testing at the level it happened, they should also refuse these other meds - plain and simple. If it’s a true religious belief, they don’t get to pick and choose because they think the fetal line doesn’t matter for a headache, but it does when public health is at stake.

12 Likes

Don’t want to debate this point because it’s a matter of theology, doctrine and apologetics, with different denominations having potentially different viewpoints on some of the fine lines. This is precisely why employers probably shouldn’t be delving into those religious debates and judgements but rather simply ask for a public statement from those who represent that employees’s faith tradition. After all, this is a “religious exemption” we are talking about here, and “religion” is recognized as an organized practice (even if a small congregation). Of course, the employer’s representatives may wish to grant a “religious” exemption based on their own particular understanding of “religion” - they should make that clear, especially if they are asking employees to sign away their right to baby aspirin or albuterol (two medicines which can be life-saving in the moment with no clear substitutions; unlike the vaccine which is a substitute for things like social distancing, frequent testing and mask-wearing).

Obviously they aren’t asking anyone to sign away their “right” to baby aspirin. They are trying to separate sincere and consistent religious beliefs from the convenient “beliefs” of people looking to use religion as a work around to avoid the vaccination.

12 Likes

Employees are treated differently from students. Although employers have an obligation under title 7 to offer accommodations in limited circumstances, it may be possible that some employers have determined that no reasonable accommodation is possible for that type of job-for example, United Airlines decision to place any religious objector on indefinite leave without pay.

3 Likes

There are 500+ colleges/unis that have mandated vaccines per the Chron of Higher Ed. Can you provide a few examples of private ones that do not allow a request for religious exemption, or an accomodation?

And note, colleges wear multiple hats that fall under different rules. Colleges are major employers; colleges are also a type of business in that they are a provider of services to customers, i.e., students; colleges are also research places and have to follow federal discrimination rules if they accept federal money.

I believe roycroftmom answered the question above, noting the difference between staff (must allow for, but penalty can be harsh as in being placed on mandatory leave without pay) and students (don’t have to offer a religious exemption, one example is Bowdoin).

1 Like

Santa Clara University
Trinity College
Bowdoin

Many others listed here . . .

1 Like

I know more than a handful of vaccine reluctant folks who have suddenly found religion. Or at least that is what they are trying to tell their employers to get an exemption from the shot.

For me
that is an issue!

11 Likes

They may change their faith when the accommodation offered is not to their liking. Our exempt employees will need to provide to us their own negative test weekly if not vaxxed. That is costly and time-consuming

3 Likes

Page describing what various religions say about vaccination:

2 Likes

Just to be clear
the unvaccinated employees have to test weekly
at their own expense?

I definitely support that and agree that will be a pain, plus expensive. Do home based tests worked (observed by a third party) or do they have to test at a healthcare setting?

This is happening around here. Employers are not paying for these tests.

5 Likes

Any FDA approved test bearing date and time stamp works for us

My mom has a group of friends from her HS days - keep in touch through texting etc - all were anti vax - all just got vaccinated this past week - just like that 
she never thought they would! so it’s possible.

10 Likes

We just today lost a neighbor. Member of the local “No Covax” mega church. 63. Healthy. Spent 4 weeks on a vent and two on continuous dialysis.
I’m so sad for my friend her husband and so angry for the people who are making this a thing.
Just get the shot.

6 Likes

What seems to be lost in this overall conversation is the fact that people should never be able to use “religion” as a work around - not for this vaccine or any other. Religion isn’t the same thing as personal conscience. It is an organized expression of personal conscience or spirituality (ETA typically as a set of specified beliefs). Therefore, it usually comes with verifiable evidence: membership, attestations, statements on specific matters of faith and morals, and so forth. By third parties who are usually authorities on the subject.

The health system in the article may have confused “religion” and “personal conscience” in the past regarding its flu vaccine requirement. That’s evidence enough that it perhaps shouldn’t be practicing catechetics on the fly. Now, they have painted the “fetal cell line” issue (as the CEO calls it) with a rather broad brush. The medications listed, their connection with (or degree of removal from) fetal cells in testing or development, and their specific uses (emergency, occasional, etc) - are probably as numerous and varied as the employees’ religious denominations and faith traditions. There is also the issue of compelling an employee, under threat of termination, to choose between their sincerely-held religious beliefs and their own physician’s advice (as some medicines might have been prescribed).

By all means an employer can use the opportunity to educate the employees on the pervasiveness of fetal cells in the development and testing of medicines. They can require that employees read that list and attest their understanding that the Covid vaccine isn’t alone in relying on fetal cell lines. Those seem like appropriate practices for a health system (which surely grapples daily with ethical matters) and so would be in this employer’s wheelhouse. Requiring that one’s employees have the facts seems quite reasonable. Requiring that one’s employees provide third party evidence of their sincerely-held belief also seems quite reasonable. This employer is doing something different, which is to require employees to meet the employer’s own version of what constitutes a “sincerely-held belief.” It’s a substitution of the employer’s beliefs for the individual’s. Not sure that’s an appropriate threshold for granting a “religious exemption” since at its core it’s not really respecting religion (or religious differences, for that matter). That’s my take, at any rate.

1 Like

We’ll just have to agree to disagree.

1 Like

I agree!