Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

These are the decisions we are starting to have to make

But please, let’s blame immigration and their vaccination status. Because that must be it

4 Likes

It all contributes. Anyone who is unvaccinated can end up taking an ICU bed…none of those people should get a pass (excluding the usual exemptions). Inconsistency of policy messaging and application isn’t helpful.

1 Like

Except that the messaging regarding immigrants is misleading, at best. 30% of those who are being held at the border had refused to be vaccinated, but these people aren’t being allowed into the country. Those entering legally must be vaccinated.

4 Likes

are you sure?

The 30% number refers to those being held in detention centers. This deflection has been covered earlier in the thread and the articles are somewhere above.

1 Like

Nope legal immigrants haven’t been required to be vaccinated. Starting October 1 they will.

Illegal immigrants….nope.

1 Like

It certainly is a public health problem. However, a segment of the population think it’s political. Others took advantage of that and the result is that many people have died needlessly.

I am 100% certain that in a few years, when these current times are behind us, it will be crystal clear who made this whole situation so much worse than it needed to be.

10 Likes

Who will the passage of time reveal in crystal clear terms to have been responsible for making the situation so much worse than it needs to be? Please don’t be vague, say it if you believe it.

“Who can refer to many people.”

Indeed so please fill in the blank.

1 Like

No.

1 Like

Legal immigrants are required to have certain vaccinations (MMR, Dtap, Hep A &B). Covid is being added to that list.

Of course illegal entrants aren’t required to have vaccines because how can you put requirements on something that is illegal?

1 Like

That’s what I wrote. Legal immigrants have been coming into the US without COVID vaccines. I didn’t say they weren’t required to have any vaccines. They’ll need to have a COVID vaccine too starting Oct 1. My response was to a comment further upthread that said legal immigrants were required to have the COVID vaccine.

Illegal immigrants don’t follow the immigration laws. But they’re also not required to get a vaccine once they arrive in the US.

I stand corrected per @Lindagaf prior post in time it will become crystal clear who was responsible for making the global pandemic far worse then it needed to be.

I can’t be specific but it will either be Trump, Bidden, Fauci, China, DeSantis, Cuomo, CDC, WHO, FDA, VP Harris or the conspiracy theorists. It certainly isn’t all of them but thankfully time will reveal the true culprit.

If only life was so simple.

Nothing in Terms of Services states that s user is required to answer every question posed to them. It does say that this is not s debate society. Specifically,

“College Confidential forums exist to discuss college admission and other topics of interest. It is not a place for contentious debate. If you find yourself repeating talking points, it might be time to step away and do something else… If a thread starts to get heated, it might be closed or heavily moderated.”

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/guidelines

Additionally, there is a difference between stating a politician’s stated policies vs a user stating their opinions on such poilicies. The former is allowed while the latter is not. Move the conversation forward please.

4 Likes

Well, my 8 year old granddaughter tested positive for Covid yesterday. Her mom has absolutely no idea as to where she got it. Tomorrow was to be her older brother’s Confirmation. Of course, that is off of the table. This is why people should get the vaccine. She feels fine as of now, but I know that things can take a turn for the worse.

A young woman from the dental practice that I go to is in the hospital, on a ventilator, and sinking slowly. She is married with a young son. I can’t even imagine what the hospital bill will be even with insurance.

A few thoughts:

1. Employer isn’t imposing Tylenol or Pepto-Bismol on the employees.
  2. Albuterol is a life-saving inhaler so any sort of forced “attestation” that the employee will no longer use their inhaler seems unethical, especially coming from a hospital CEO.
  3. The question of personal exemption for “moral” reasons is usually not cut-and-dry. The Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith document linked earlier made this clear by explaining that there are degrees of separation from the wrongful act that resulted in the life-saving drug. Each of these medicines listed for the “attestation” that employees would have to sign might have a distinct degree of separation - some might be significantly farther than the Covid vaccine, for instance.
  4. Some with religious exemptions are simply following their church’s guidelines and can point to public statements. What if their church hasn’t condemned the use of aspirin or Tums? Reading between the lines, I’m wondering whether that hospital CEO is confusing “religious” exemption for one of “conscious” (ie their church has NOT spoken out against the vaccine but the employee won’t take it as a matter of personal conscience). The employer might want to consult with attorneys who understand this distinction. Far less problematic to refuse a religious exemption, say, to a Catholic (the Catholic Church has opined that the vaccines are morally permissible) than to make them swear off their inhaler for fear of losing their job!

Religious accommodation is only offered for sincere religious beliefs, not objections based on political or social grounds. One factor in ascertaining sincerity is the employee’s consistency in applying his objection to all aspects of his life, including other vaccines, and yes, that could include other medicines as well. If his actual practice often deviates from his supposedly sincere religious objections, that may be considered.

4 Likes

Agree. The challenge is being able to make a competent moral judgement on the issue, which is essentially what the employer is attempting to do by listing these other medicines and placing them in the same category as the vaccine for being equally morally objectionable. That judgement is most likely not in the employer’s wheelhouse. They would need to rely on religious experts and of course opinions might be all over the map depending on the denomination. The employer should stick to that which can be verified: statements on the vaccine from the employee’s religious leaders, a letter from a pastor affirming the employee’s participation and membership in good standing, etc. Sincerely-held religious beliefs are actually distinct from sincerely-held personal beliefs, although oftentimes there will be overlap. One shouldn’t be granted the license to invent their own personal “religion” on the spot, nor is that religious protection the same thing as a free-for-all w/r/t personal beliefs.

1 Like

Private institutions/companies don’t have to offer religious exemptions, do they?

2 Likes

Some updates. H’s coworker I helped locate a certain shot? She took a coworker and both got their first shots yesterday afternoon. H checked on her this morning. Just a sore arm but nothing major. Her getting it was a big deal in her circle. She told her neighbor that she did something he wouldn’t be happy about, but she was tired of seeing all of her friends and loved ones getting so sick/hospitalized.

The friend who got the antibodies? I wonder if they got them too late because they were hospitalized yesterday. They should feel grateful they are there at all as their area is one that ist beginning to ration care. And they were not vaccinated.

My Moderna coworker who said he had just a headache and congestion told someone else he lost his sense of smell for a few days. I didn’t like hearing that.

Another one of H’s coworker’s stepmom has been on a vent for 10 days. They are trying to get her off today. And my co-worker’s neighbor has been going to ER several times over the last few weeks with covid but keeps getting sent home. Not enough room. His wife is up there on a vent. It seems it’s everywhere.

1 Like

yes, private companies/employers/colleges absolutely have to offer religious exemptions (and for those with disabilities).