Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Thanks for sharing

I’m glad to see vax numbers going up due to mandates for jobs. It also got me wondering where those giving up their jobs are going to find new ones. Do they plan to move to non-vax states?

2 Likes

She misheard what was being said on the news. 1/500 people across the US have died of Covid - not the vaccines. It doesn’t matter if they had Covid or not. The number is just Covid deaths/US population.

In my county we’re 1/523 last I looked with just 1/9 having tested positive for Covid. 8/9 either haven’t had it or didn’t test positive for it (asymptomatic or didn’t test). That 1/9 are responsible for all of the deaths.

Absolutely none have died from the vaccine. I live in a Deep Red area. It’d have made the local news if anyone had died from the vaccine.

2 Likes

The doctors and hospitals weren’t getting the money directly, but federal dollars were being directed to areas of high covid cases and deaths in 2020. We had a coroner who marked a death as non-covid but the guy did test positive for covid. He also had a blood alcohol above .400 (maybe .500) and a lot of underlying conditions and it wasn’t covid that killed him. A state official ordered him to call it a covid death. There were 4 or 5 others like this from that county too.

A small number, but in the beginning a lot of deaths were hastened by covid but those people would have died in the coming months anyway. My friend’s FIL was put in a nursing home in Jan 2020 and no one expected him to last more than a month or two. He did in March and tested positive for covid, but no covid systems. Still a covid death.

1 Like

The new vax rules for federal employees and federal contractors will help, but the impending OSHA rule for large private employers will really make a difference, in every state.

I know in our state Covid deaths are only listed that way if Covid was considered responsible for their death. It came up early in the pandemic when a teenager died in a car crash and later tested positive for Covid. All of those helping at the crash had to isolate, both EMS and bystanders. The question arose asking if that would be a Covid death and was emphatically answered no with the reasoning behind it. Rumor had spread that it would be. It was just a rumor.

2 Likes

This may be the payment question:

Jensen said, “Hospital administrators might well want to see COVID-19 attached to a discharge summary or a death certificate. Why? Because if it’s a straightforward, garden-variety pneumonia that a person is admitted to the hospital for – if they’re Medicare – typically, the diagnosis-related group lump sum payment would be $5,000. But if it’s COVID-19 pneumonia, then it’s $13,000, and if that COVID-19 pneumonia patient ends up on a ventilator, it goes up to $39,000.”

Jensen clarified in the video that he doesn’t think physicians are “gaming the system” so much as other “players,” such as hospital administrators, who he said may pressure physicians to cite all diagnoses, including “probable” COVID-19, on discharge papers or death certificates to get the higher Medicare allocation allowed under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act. Past practice, Jensen said, did not include probabilities.

Ask FactCheck’s conclusion: “Recent legislation pays hospitals higher Medicare rates for COVID-19 patients and treatment, but there is no evidence of fraudulent reporting.”

I’m sorry to hear that’s being done, maybe it’s a state/political issue. Where I am, that would never be happen. It’s unethical.

It was all over the papers so the state health department didn’t think it was unethical. The ‘rule’ was anyone who had covid who died was to be considered a covid death. They didn’t want local coroners making the call ‘was the death from kidney failure or covid?’ It was covid if there was any test for covid, even without other symptoms. The state health dept wanted that called a covid death. It was sort of insane if someone in a car accident was deemed a covid death (would they actually test for covid?) but that was the rule.

You’d think they would have backed down and said “Okay, BAC of .5%? That’s not a covid death” but the state doubled down and said yes it.

Which state?

I’m not questioning what you’re saying, I am just confused a little. So these deaths were not in a hospital. In the hospital, the patients have the diagnosis of COVID, sometimes for months. Paperwork is not fudged in order to get more money, there’s a long trail of paperwork before death. What’s the incentive to over report COVID deaths in the cases you’re talking about? Or do the state officials not give any reason?

I found a Feb '21 AAMC article about it. Seems it was stated that way by Dr. Birx and followed by some states, but has since been changed to reflect reality. At this point, deaths were/are probably undercounted, not overcounted.

"Early in the pandemic, some of the answers provided by public officials — who were scrambling to track the disease as it overwhelmed health systems — fed skepticism. Last April, Deborah Birx, MD, coordinator of the White House Coronavirus Task Force, said this when asked about people who have COVID-19 but die from preexisting conditions: “If someone dies with COVID-19, we are counting that as a COVID-19 death.”

That statement, combined with some state health officials saying they follow the same policy, sparked charges that the COVID-19 totals were inflated by deaths from other diseases and even auto accidents if the victims happened to have COVID-19. Federal and state governments gradually altered such policies over the spring and summer to say that in order for a death to be counted as a COVID-19 death, the disease had to have played a role."

3 Likes

I asked her if she meant 1 in 500 died of Covid, because that number sounded about right, but she said no, of the vaccine.

I also knew there had been situations of deaths being recorded as COVID when that wasn’t even an indirect cause- more in 2020 than this year. But her implication was that hospitals were routinely doctoring (:wink:) their records for financial gain. Because her son said so.

Sounds like you’re not going to be able to reason with this one. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Anyone can anecdotally tell a story about a death of someone with Covid not actually the cause. The fact is that the US death rate has run far higher than normal since spring 2020. Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

6 Likes

The largest increases in vaccine uptake between July and September were among Hispanic adults and those ages 18-29, and similar shares of adults now report being vaccinated across racial and ethnic groups (71% of White adults, 70% of Black adults, and 73% of Hispanic adults).

4 Likes

I’m hearing all kinds of nonsense about the CARES act money. Doctors putting covid as cause of death on young people in car accidents. Doctors declaring any and all patients dead of covid with no positive test, etc. in order to “get the money.”

First of all, the CARES act applies to Medicare patients, not young people dead in car accidents.

Second, doctors don’t get some kind of bonus every time they attribute a death to Covid. The hospital is given extra money to care for Covid Medicare patients because the hospitalizations last longer on average and cost much more money to care for. There is no widespread fraud going on where a patient not admitted with Covid is suddenly declared dead of Covid when they were never treated as such beforehand. The doctors declaring death aren’t running around being given big checks as incentive to commit massive fraud.

This is just more anti-doctor and anti-nurse rhetoric, which given what these HCW have been going through to care for their patients during this pandemic, is disgusting.

15 Likes

For sure. She “heard” and believes what she wants to believe. She quite possibly even heard it literally - from someone else down the line who changed the news either intentionally or due to wanting it to say what they believe.

A closed mind isn’t open to seeing the data to readjust their beliefs. That’s common where I live.

2 Likes

The “1 out of 500 Americans died of COVID” sounds sensationalistic, but do the math:

330,000,000 population / 650,000 COVID deaths = ~500

We thought it was off as well, until I did division.

I never said it was off. I know it’s true. What’s off is the friend saying 1/500 died from the vaccines.

8 Likes