Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Personally, I’m ok with this while Covid is still coming off a peak. I doubt these places plan to keep the rules for eternity. People’s lives are simply more important than freedom.

Groceries or restaurant food can be delivered or picked up outside. Many churches have put their services online or radio. No one has the “right” to eat indoors or attend other events and no one will die because they aren’t allowed to. People are dying from Covid.

4 Likes

A lot of them will just find another excuse.

5 Likes

Curious to hear which states those are?

6 Likes

The US, like other societies ancient and modern, has long had rules against imposing negative external effects on others. I.e. personal responsibility includes avoiding imposing harms on others who do not agree to accept those harms.

7 Likes

More unnecessary deaths in my news feed today:

“Twenty-year-old Tyler Gilreath, a sophomore at UNC Wilmington, died of COVID-19 related issues. He told his mother, Tamra Demello, he didn’t need a vaccine because he was young and healthy.”

"A Virginia dad who “treasured” his children was hospitalized the same day his wife died of COVID-19. Two weeks later, 48-year-old Kevin Mitchem was also gone, leaving behind the couple’s five beloved kids, including their four children and one from a previous relationship, his family said.

Kevin had a lingering cough before he was diagnosed with the coronavirus. He had been an active, healthy person but was wary about getting a COVID-19 vaccine, according to his brother.

Around the same time that Kevin got sick, his wife reportedly went to a hospital near the couple’s home in Stafford. Misty Mitchem, who was in her 40s and had diabetes, died on Sept. 23, according to her obituary. Mike Mitchem said she also hadn’t gotten a coronavirus vaccine,"

And another linked in the story:

“12-year-old orphaned when mom dies weeks after dad’s COVID death, Georgia schools say”

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article254997962.html

It was one thing to die prior to vaccine availability. Now it’s bewildering why so many are choosing to take their chances when there’s no way ahead of time to know who will draw the short straw. Why play that game if you don’t have to?

5 Likes

What states?

What counties?

2 Likes
1 Like

From what I’ve seen about the city ordinance in Los Angeles, grocery stores and pharmacies are not included in the indoor establishments requiring proof of vaccination.

1 Like

That is Los Angeles city, not a county or state.

3 Likes

I live in a county in which you have to show your proof of vaccine to sit inside at restaurants.

What that means is you get to sit outside on the patio if you don’t have it with you or don’t have one.

No biggie. I sit out there anyway, and I am vaxed. They have heaters now the weather is turning.

You can also take food to go. No one is starving.

No one has to show their medical history for a drink or a steak in public. It just isn’t a big deal unless you make it one. Which according to our favorite waitress at our favorite watering hole, people do daily, despite the sign out front telling people not to take the county ordinance out on the wait staff. I think for some the objections are performative.

11 Likes

The article about the city of Los Angeles is not for all indoor facilities which is what you claimed. It also says that unvaccinated people are allowed to come inside use public bathrooms and to do pick up orders. And everyone is still allowed to eat outside.

This is far from a restrictive can’t go indoors anywhere mandate. And it’s certainly not countywide or state wide which is what your initial response implied

2 Likes

Being that eating indoors unmasked and unvaccinated has been shown to be a very risky behavior, it seems prudent that many facilities are taking precautions. It’s already hard enough for restaurants to find staff.

8 Likes

LA county as well. I have a kid living there.

I am not sure how the rules apply to grocery shopping. I saw the comment above about proof being required for that. I am lazy and get groceries delivered. But that’s me pre-pandemic, too. I realize that won’t work for many people.

But the times recently I have had to go to a pharmacy etc no one required proof of vax. I had to show it to get my flu shot, though.

The rules are confusing. I have all but given up trying to follow the changes. I just wear my mask everywhere and have my vax card, and I don’t have to remember anything. Problem solved. Seems like what other people do too around here. Life feels mostly normal. Rates are pretty good.

The good news is I heard the indoor mask mandate is lifting soon for vaccinated people in offices. I will probably still wear masks anyway, since vaccinated folks still can spread the virus. No biggie.

Look I am not going to debate covid mandates/rules/restrictions. Things will play out, and hopefully resolve in a good way.
I appreciate that most on this board, including myself, are fortunate to have options. Many do not and I think the question of vaccination is not necessarily absolute. I also think it is a good thing to consider other points of view and appreciate that bu and large people are making decisions using their best information. No one is out to be a super-spreader.

Los Angeles county has a more limited vaccination requirement for indoor bars and such, not “any indoor facility” as you claimed.

1 Like

By next month Los Angeles will require residents and visitors to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine in order to eat, drink, or shop in indoor establishments across the city.
From the NPR article.

Which indoor places are excluded?
Further on in the article is a more detailed list.

1 Like

That is Los Angeles city, not Los Angeles county.

Not practically. Again, I have a kid living there.

Businesses may be making their own requirements. But that is different from claiming that the entire county or state has such a requirement.

6 Likes