Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Did you notice the careful editing? Did you look up some of the experts? Did you read the comments by the YouTube channel creator?

It’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

4 Likes

Advocating for studies on prophylaxis, early treatment, measures to stop spread and vaccine is a wolf. Very mild wolf. Nothing offensive to me about this video.

1 Like

I just watched the video as well and noted an avoidance of acknowledgment that the vaccinated are less symptomatic, experience a lower rate of hospitalization and a 1:11 lower mortality rate. The panelists seemed intent on highlighting breakthrough cases as a way to “discredit”the efficacy of vaccines but not the lessened consequences of breakthrough then those who are unvaccinated.

I agree with a multi dimensional approach and don’t view vaccines as a panacea but it seems disingenuous to not acknowledge that the vaccine is saving lives.

Maybe I missed it but I didn’t hear much “let’s all get vaccinated and…”

7 Likes

Vaccination is a more convenient prophylaxis than taking some drug frequently as prophylaxis. People unwilling to vaccinate are unlikely to be willing to do that.

Early treatment is difficult to do because of COVID-19’s asymptomatic early stage and symptoms that can resemble common colds, flu, etc. that can prevent early recognition for early treatment. Rapid testing every day can find early infections, but how likely is it that vaccine refusers will do that (or be able to afford to do that)?

Measures to stop spread like social distancing, masks indoors, etc. are unlikely to be practiced by many of those who refuse vaccination.

5 Likes

I would argue it’s people with Covid that pose a threat to people around them not unvaccinated people. One could argue that if vaccinated people are possible carriers but more likely to be asymptomatic then they might be a higher risk to people around them than unvaccinated people who might be more likely to be symptomatic and wouldn’t go to the bar in the first place. I am vaccinated because I would prefer to lesson my chances of getting sick if I am exposed to Covid. I also encourage those I know to get vaccinated but an infected person is who you need to be concerned about. Not an unvaccinated one.

5 Likes

I would agree with the premise but not the conclusion.

Breakthrough cases are statistically far less frequent then infection among the unvaccinated so I would respectfully disagree.

“ * A new study found people who were not vaccinated were five times as likely to get COVID-19 compared to people who were fully vaccinated.

It is amazing how different things are depending on where you live. I have yet to be asked for my vaccine card for any reason living in the Southeast, while friends in other areas of the country seem to use their vaccine cards whenever they go out. It is pretty easy to be reluctant with little to no societal consequences in my “neck of the woods”.

I have not been asked for the vaccine card for entering businesses, and do not carry the actual card around. This is in an area with high COVID-19 concern, high vaccination rate, indoor mask rules, and some people still wearing masks in outdoor uncrowded places (walk in the park type of activities).

I’m going to an in person presentation about my health insurance plan for 2022. To get in…everyone needs to show their vaccine cards proof of vaccination. This presentation can be seen virtually as well…so it’s not like you can’t get the info. But the town in which this is happening is requiring proof of vaccination (not negative test, not proof you had Covid). Vaccine proof only. Masks will be required for the 45 minute presentation.

And the event organizers are assigning seats in a large auditorium with empty seats between groups.

1 Like

I agree. The video was posted here in support of people being vaccine reluctant and is being held up elsewhere as somehow making vaccine efforts misguided. Everybody wants better early treatment Nobody thinks vaccines are the end all be all. The fact that doctors believe we need better early treatment options (should) in no way undermine vaccine efforts.

3 Likes

The only place I’ve been asked to show a vax card was in SF on our trip there. One of my sons and his wife went to Puerto Rico in August and had to show theirs everywhere to eat inside - or even shop inside.

Regardless, if it’s the law that one needs a vax card (or an individual business owner’s decision), checking for one is no more difficult than checking age for alcohol purchase (which is what I said in my first post about it that I’ve seen often).

No one has the right to eat inside a restaurant or go to an indoor event if there are specific rules.

1 Like

if you show a recent negative PCR test result, aren’t you granted entrance like those who are vaccinated (bar, restaurant, etc)?

The problem is that several of the panelists are known “experts” to the anti-vaxx crowd and are in fact anti-vaccine. At least one has been reported to the state board in an attempt to have their medical license revoked for the spread of misinformation.

6 Likes

i am attending trade shows again (from small to large ones). Except for the one in FL that was in Aug the rest are requiring VAX cards. They are also requiring masks except when eating drinking, but honestly the last one most people at some point pulled theirs down, took off here and there, etc during the 12 hour day. If everyone is vaccinated , yes you can still catch it, but I hope we are moving towards mask optional .

I honestly don’t know. I have yet to be asked for proof of vaccination. Negative tests can be iffy too. I went on a trip with some HS friends of few weeks ago. We stayed in a cabin. All of us had been vaccinated. One of my friends started feeling like he had a cold the week before the trip and went and got both the instant test and the regular Covid test which wouldn’t be available until after he returned from our trip. He also went to the doctor. The instant test was negative. The doctor told him a cold virus was going around and his symptoms were similar but he shouldn’t be contagious when the trip came around. When we returned I received a text that his regular Covid test had come back positive. He called the doctor who told him that he likely had asymptomatic Covid and what he experienced was a cold. Neither of the other two of us experienced any symptoms but I’m quite sure it didn’t guarantee that we never got Covid. Who knows.

1 Like

That, too. It’s straight up propaganda and more mis- and false-information.

3 Likes

Definitely an argument for getting vaccinated.

1 Like

Basically equivalent to saying that “vaccines effectiveness is 80%”, which is not all that new news (although the vaccine effectiveness percentages vary somewhat from one study to another).

1 Like

Re: In n Out, I love their product and am sympathetic to their position, but the language they used in their official statement was highly inflammatory, political, and inappropriate.

From Washington Post article (emphasis mine):

“We refuse to become the vaccination police for any government,” Arnie Wensinger, the company’s chief legal and business officer, said in a statement shared with The Washington Post. “It is unreasonable, invasive, and unsafe to force our restaurant Associates to segregate Customers into those who may be served and those who may not, whether based on the documentation they carry, or any other reason.” …

Also, the appropriate way for a company, particularly a large (albeit private) company like In n Out, to respond to a law it disagrees with is to comply with the law, while challenging it in court and/or making their case in the court of public opinion. Willful disobedience is not a good corporate look in my opinion.

From the Post: "San Francisco health officials have had to remind employees at the In-N-Out location to check vaccine cards multiple times since late September, a San Francisco Department of Public Health spokesperson said in a statement to The Post.

Despite the warnings, employees did not comply, forcing the city’s Health Department to shut down the restaurant on Oct. 14 — the only time the agency has ordered a closure for a vaccine-card violation, the Health Department spokesperson wrote."

I’m really disappointed in In n Out and am rethinking my patronage of their business.

5 Likes

Why didn’t they just limit their business to drive thru and carry out if they were unwilling to check for vaccine cards? I don’t live in a state that requires them for dining, but even after some local restaurants reopened to dine-in service here, there were some national chains like Chick Fil A who were still only allowing drive thru and curbside pickup. I assumed it was because they wanted to protect their staff. If In and Out was unwilling to enforce the mandate then why didn’t they just revert to drive thru/carry out only?

I didn’t even like In and Out the few times I’ve been there so it wouldn’t be a burden for me not to eat there (we don’t even have them here but we have family in CA so have been to In and Out while visiting).

3 Likes