Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

It’s worth noting that when In n Out opened up their new places here in Colorado last December, they almost immediately had Covid outbreaks where more than 145 employees ultimately tested positive. I don’t know if they’ve had similar outbreaks in other places, but it didn’t give a lot of confidence in their Covid protocols in general or the steps their policies to protect their employees.

1 Like

Treatment is great. Yes, let’s stop people getting sick in the first place. And no, it wasn’t lost on me that they were all sitting very close to each other.

Many (all?) of the doctors and scientists in this video appear in searches about antivax issues. Users can flag the video on youtube in the hopes it will be removed. For that matter, feel free to flag the post above. Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion - #5479 by woarble

I will paraphrase why I find this video offensive and hope it’s taken down.

Dr. Ryan Cole: “We have doctors saying there are no deaths due to vaccine…” Uh, really? Here is an interesting article about this doctor.

And here is again in the video, LYING: “the vaccine has done more damage than any other product we have allowed to stay on the market.” Okee dokee.

Here’s an article about Pierre Kory, who advocates for Ivermectin and other drugs to be used against Covid. Nothing to see here, right? Fringe Doctors' Groups Promote Ivermectin for COVID despite a Lack of Evidence | Scientific American

I see someone already put the link to the Atlantic article about Robert Malone. Robert Malone: Vaccine Scientist, Vaccine Skeptic - The Atlantic

Dr. Brian Tyson and Dr. Richard Urso (both in the video. Urso is an eye doctor, but ok…) appear in this article, where you can also read about other doctors who are part of the Antivax group, America’s Frontline Doctors. But that is another kettle of (crazy) fish. https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/90536

So those are just a few of the reasons I find that video completely objectionable. I can find more if you like. Coupled with the fact that I don’t believe it says anywhere in the video “hey, get vaccinated too, and oh yeah, wear a mask,” the person who produced that video is 100% pushing an anti-vax agenda. We should all push back against misinformation when we see it.

14 Likes

I found myself glad we didn’t eat there in Aug when we were at SF. We walked in, tempted due to reputation, but then saw it was “just” burgers, etc, and we were in SF. Who wants burgers there when there’s so much else to be tried in SF if you’re visiting for a few days? We opted to eat at seafood and Thai places instead - and a meal in Chinatown that was terrific. We can get burgers anywhere.

But now I’ve scratched them off my list of places I want to try even on another trip west TBH. I’d choose them over somewhere we could eat here because we always do that on trips, but there’s likely somewhere else not available here that’s more appealing in the area. And yes, it’s 100% due to their corporate statement because an individual restaurant otherwise wouldn’t have even caught my eye.

2 Likes

Thanks for the articles. I think it is important to also look at funding sources. News has become very polarized, and quite honestly biased.
As an example, Factcheck.org is funded by Facebook and Google so not necessarily neutral when it come to information.
Our Funding - FactCheck.org

1 Like

Excellent. What about Scientific American and Medpage Today? What about Health Feedback? No scientific evidence for claim by pathologist Ryan Cole that COVID-19 vaccines weaken the immune system - Health Feedback

5 Likes

News has always been biased back to the beginning of time.

It’s important to consider more than one source. It’s also important to realize when the source isn’t typically credible based upon facts. Alternative facts are not facts.

Neutral isn’t always possible when the facts actually skew one direction.

But different sources are still good because of what they choose to cover. eg BBC covers far more of the world than the US knows exists when it comes to news.

4 Likes

Not really. Vaccine effectiveness involves not only minimizing the risk infection but also minimizing the risk of serious infection.

1 Like

How about “vaccine effectiveness is 80% against getting COVID-19” as the equivalent statement of “people who were not vaccinated were five times as likely to get COVID-19 compared to people who were fully vaccinated”? Note that neither statement comments about the severity of COVID-19.

Totally agree that “news” is biased. That is why many who are vaccine hesitant have questions/concerns about the validity of some of the information.
For instance, the warning posted by CVS pharmacies about the possibility of heart issues in young men taking Mrna vaccines to me is validated information. That is also why having a choice and not a mandate is important.
Each person’s personal medical situation is different and to demonize a certain part of the population because they need more information in my opinion is wrong.

5 Likes

I do not know if this has been linked yet, but here is a list of the “Disinformation Dozen”. These are the 12 people who are responsible for the majority of disinformation on Social Media.

f4d9b9_16ccca9c25a04445a69dcd0298fd530d.pdf (usrfiles.com)

2 Likes

What they need to do is have two columns. One can be the risk with the vaccine. The other can be the risk with Covid. That would be unbiased info giving people the most information instead of being biased and just giving people the risk with the vaccine.

They could probably even add a third column with the risk from an unknown source (not Covid and not the vaccine) because that happens too.

Here’s a CDC article comparing the risk with Covid and without. Someone else will need to post the risk from the vaccine because I need to be getting off the computer.

4 Likes

I personally believe the world is flat. And it’s not just me, there’s research to prove it (University of Malta). And other experts agree. Draymond Green, Sammy Watkins and Tila off the top of my head. We can think on our own and do our own research. We won’t let the media bias us.

8 Likes

Lol

Yep, I agree. There should be statistics on (fill in age group) risk of dying, adverse events with vaccine, and adverse events getting covid. The last study I saw … under-18 years olds… the risk of an adverse event getting covid is still extremely rare.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01897-w

I will say my son’s high school has been in-person at his 1500+ high school for the past year. The school routinely sends out notices of covid positive individuals. However, there have been less than 50 people/instances of covid positive notifications. This leads me to believe that school age kids (under 18) are still less likely to get covid than other age groups.

1 Like

Lol. Given the internet and all of the information out there I am sure there are many articles on Google to support that view.

1 Like

I’d be far more likely to go to a restaurant that required vax proof of everyone in there, including staff. Not interested in a side of covid. But then I haven’t gone to restaurants much in years anyway. Couldn’t afford it as a single mom long ago, and in recent years find that there isn’t much point: I’m usually the better cook, my cellar is better, to get near what I can do costs a mint that I don’t find justifiable for food, and I’m too old and lack the metabolism for the kind of cookery restaurants do anyway. Better just to have friends over. I’m more inclined if it’s a cuisine I don’t know, but again it’s usually better just to go to someone’s house unless it’s street/cheap food, in which case again that’s a day’s calories. But none of it’s going to be great if I’m looking around wondering who’s breathing out what and thinking, “this feels stupid, this meal is definitely not worth brain damage.”

Which I think is about to become a louder sub-conversation, even against booster/reluctance convo. Spate of recent large studies show that for a very large proportion of people who get covid, covid means long covid. And by “long” we still don’t know what we mean, since we’re not quite two years in, but from here, in plant terms, it looks to me like a form of blight. If you’re touched lightly with it, you’ll struggle a while and then make some sort of recovery; if not, you’ll struggle along and it won’t be surprising if you die, either of the internal damage or the damage plus some other thing you’d have survived before.

As far as reluctance goes, though, we’re talking about a population that’s already largely accustomed to blight. They’re not in good health. They don’t expect long lives. There’s already a high rate of disability, addiction, severe mental illness…it’s not unusual anymore to see middle-aged people missing teeth. So I really don’t think they’ll see much new threat in the rates of long covid. You have to have an expectation of doing something you want to do with your life, all the way into old age, for that to look alarming.

How about the reality that vaccination is by far the fastest, least expensive, most effective way of stopping pandemics in their tracks. Also the reality that we have it on hand already. And the reality that vaccination reduces the severity of the illness markedly if you do get it, meaning your risks of long-term incapacity and death from complications of are much lower.

There are zero legitimate public-health reasons for deciding to put vax to the side and trying to use other things as our main covid defense. It’s like deciding that even though you’ve been offered a free house for your family, you’re going to try working out how to camp under a bridge all winter instead. And that’s just from the perspective of blind self-interest, let alone social responsibilities.

4 Likes

There are.

2 Likes

Evander Kane of the San Jose Sharks has been suspended for 21 games for violating covid protocols–he’s said to have submitted a fake covid vax certificate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/10/18/evander-kane-suspended-vaccine/

NHL reports there are only 4 unvaxed players. Though there is not a vaccine mandate for players, Canada’s current quarantine requirement effectively bars unvaxed players from the US from games.

2 Likes

This comment is over-simplification. Everyone does not have the same medical history… not to mention religious convictions concerning medical care.

It is not a matter of demonization, but rather a question of who bears the risks associated with their indecision. Vaccine requirements begin to shift that risk to the indecisive and away from those who are being endangered by their indecisiveness.

3 Likes