Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Regarding the small risks of myocarditis in younger men who get mRNA vaccines and blood clots in young women who get adenovirus vector vaccines, perhaps avoiding those small risks can be done by younger men choosing the J&J vaccine and younger women choosing the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine.

3 Likes

Currently, under 18 can only get Phizer so no choice.

1 Like

The word “public” in “public health” is as important as the word “health”. Individual exceptions for actual dangers – and keep in mind that these are some exceptionally safe vaccines – don’t figure into the overall picture. Religious convictions
well, in a society, when your beliefs affect others and not just your own private life, you’re likely to see some of that shaved, too. There’s nothing novel in that: you can have a look at the long history of regulating ceremonies involving animals and bodily fluids, also regulations involving intermarriage, marital age, marital rape, various patriarchal privileges, and bigamy.

If you want to go without medical care for yourself because of your religious convictions, that’s your business, until it becomes someone else’s business because you’re spreading a demonstrably dangerous pathogen. If you’re offering to self-isolate throughout a pandemic rather than take medical care, then I’d say fine, but I’d also make the rules for that pretty strong – no breaking quarantine because you feel you’ve earned a break, etc.

2 Likes

I agree. I’ll also point out that they have the information. Nobody’s keeping it from them. On the contrary, people are going to great lengths and expense to make sure it’s publicly available online. If they have phones, they can get there. Nobody can make them read it and take it seriously, though – and nobody can make them sit down and take the time to learn enough background science to slot it into some view of how bodies and pathogens work. That part’s up to them. There are legions of people ready to help them with all of that if they give the signal that they’re receptive.

2 Likes

:raising_hand_woman: I want to be on the research team! I’m not convinced the south pacific islands are there - you know, Fiji, French Polynesia, Samoa - even New Zealand. I think people should fund a trip for me to go there and do research to see if they truly exist as [obviously doctored] pictures make it appear. Along the way I’ll see if there are guards at the ends of the earth so I don’t fall off.

8 Likes

I’m surprised that none of those who caught it have given it to older relatives and friends who haven’t had it so lucky with Covid. Our church routinely has been sending out prayer requests even mentioning that they believe some parents/grandparents caught it from their kids. While most recover, it’s not always good endings. Some have really bad cases and some of those die.

Our school used to send out reports, but quit this year. They never did follow up on parents/grandparents, etc. There have been a fair number of vectors out there. But you’re right. It tends not to be the kids who have it badly, though there are others like my 20 something long hauler son who caught it in 2020 (prior to vaccines).

And again, lots of schools have creative reporting. My H has had to cover for several teachers out with covid. And the official dashboard says there has only been one staff case all year. Uh huh. Sure. I also know several parents whose covid positive kids never showed on the dashboard as well.

Well I can tell you the school my son goes to is definitely not into suppressing data.
It is no wonder why our society is so distrustful of any information that goes against the narrative we happen to espouse.

I wonder what guilt kids will grow up with if they know they gave a bad or deadly case of Covid to a parent or grandparent.

2 Likes

It may not be a matter of “suppressing” data. Different schools have different testing protocols, thus different data. Some test everyone regularly, some do not.

Unless the parent or grandparent was a hermit, exposure could come from anywhere.

5 Likes

Perhaps, but I assume when the prayer request mentions where they think they got it from they have a good idea (contact tracing or otherwise).

It is not a matter of testing, but it is about sick kids and staff. None of my kids friends missed school because of illness. And in a school that large, with an infectious virus, more people should have been covid positive.

Religious convictions do not affect a person’s Covid risk one iota. It doesn’t make them less likely to become ill, less likely to die, less likely to spread it to other vulnerable people. Someone’s “deeply held beliefs” does not make them less of a public health menace.

7 Likes

If the school is not testing, then there is no way to know if its covid reports are accurate or not

Eyeballing how many of your kid’s friends got sick may not be statistically valid methodology.

9 Likes

Adding to your comment
 Even one school is just an anecdote rather than data. If the virus isn’t around, no one is going to get sick. It’s too small and it’s not purple showing itself easily. It’s luck of the draw from our perspective.

Even among my own district when they were telling us numbers, not all schools or grades or classrooms were equal in numbers.

@bluedog23, I genuinely don’t get what you’re trying to do in this thread. I’m seeing this, over and over:

You: I don’t know about this covid/vax-related thing, doesn’t seem right, not me saying it, but lots of people are, after all, (piece of unexamined misinformation or opinion that ignores major pandemic facts).

Seventeen other well-educated people, some in science: (Debunking of misinformation and demonstration of how what you’ve said is either untrue or unlikely, irritation from people who’re grieving family/friends lost to covid or know people dealing with its longterm effects and have no patience left for those who don’t want to know what “communicable” means.)

You: Well, I don’t know, it doesn’t seem right, not me saying it, but

etc.

Genuine question: what are you looking for when you’re posting these things? You say you’re vaxed yourself, and you must have the pattern down now
there are endless swamps of misinformation and thoughts that don’t hang together, so there’s not much point in going through all of it piece by piece.

Are you wanting people to just be okay with vax-refusers doing their vax-refusing thing, because they’re your friends? Because if that’s what you’re looking for, I don’t see how you’re going to find that among people who’re keenly aware of how this disease spreads and do pay attention to the science as it comes through.

Or is it something else?

10 Likes

Are those my quotes?
Asking for a friend

I can add a perspective. I have approved many more religious exemptions than I expected. The only legal standard is they must be sincerely held and religious/ spiritually based. Well, a lot of people have them. The reasons don’t have to be rational, just sincere. Some refuse any vaccines as adults, trusting God to protect them. Some believe in faith healing. Some said God told them not to vaccinate. Some are truly troubled by the fetal cell issue, and now refrain from similar products. Personally, I would rather we as a country did not offer religious exemptions, but given that we do, there are a lot of people with sincere religious objections.

1 Like

Approximations. The gist, as they come across to me.

eta: Sorry! I always forget what brackets do to a post here. Fixed now.