Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

My vaccine hesitant friend (who had Covid and it was like the Flu) made a comment that only cases she hears about in her circles are her vaccinated friends getting covid, and not her unvaxxed. yes the odds are the majority of her friends are vaccinated, but for someone on the fence hearing about breakthrough cases , after having Covid makes her hesitant. She will likely get vaccinated as she will be over 6 months since invention, and she wants to travel, but she has been fence riding.
If the purpose of the vaccines is to prevent serious illness and everyone who wants a vaccine can get one, and soon that will include 5-11 year olds, can we get away from having to Isolate if nonsympomatic. That is when i will think that the tide is turning. Protecting those (not under 12) that dont want to be protected is getting old

1 Like

Deleted

Here’s a fun story - Florida’s new surgeon general refusing to wear a mask when requested. Then claims he’s the reasonable one and the senator with breast cancer is being unreasonable. I believe he’s also anti-vax and pro-nut (supports ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine, etc).

As he finally agreed to exit her office, Polsky said Ladapo turned to her and said: “Sometimes I try to reason with unreasonable people for fun.”

People like this will go down in history, but probably not the way anyone would want to.

Even without Covid, if someone with a serious medical condition wanted me to do (or not do) something while in their presence, I would. It’s called being considerate. When one doesn’t it’s called being an a__.

10 Likes

This is the current state of Florida politics, a Surgeon General who won’t lift a finger (or mask) to protect a medically vulnerable person.

5 Likes

And we all know it’s purely politics. Had this happened in the Pre-Covid days I imagine he wouldn’t have thought twice about doing what she asked.

You not only question how scientists and statisticians keep track of information regarding breakthrough cases, you claim the number of breakthrough cases is much higher than what they have reported; stating unequivocally, “the reality is very different.” Yet you uncritically present as “factual” a single anecdote; a third hand account of a party attended by your brother-in-law’s family (but not your brother in law). You insist that everyone there was vaccinated, but how would you know that? And even if they were how does your single anecdote override the determination of statisticians and scientists based on the study of millions of cases? Why no second guessing of your “data collection” by anecdote?

So, I think it reasonable to conclude you are elevating your single, third-hand anecdote above the scientific consensus, and we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

4 Likes

There is no reliable data because the CDC intentionally chose not to collect it and focus on only those breakthru cases requiring hospitalization. Of course there are thousands of cases not getting to that level.

3 Likes

A KFF study did not rely on CDC information but instead relied on data from those states which had regularly reported breakthrough cases. The study determined:

While information on breakthrough events is still limited and incomplete, this analysis of available state-level data indicates that COVID-19 breakthrough cases, and especially hospitalizations and deaths, among those who are fully vaccinated are rare occurrences in the United States. Moreover, this data indicate the vast majority of reported COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in U.S. are among those who are unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated. These findings echo the abundance of data demonstrating the effectiveness of currently authorized COVID-19 vaccines.

1 Like

It is not surprising that infections (breakthrough or otherwise) occur in clusters, commonly associated with indoor events which may be crowded or where participants are exposing each other for a considerable time.

2 Likes

In one family might be important too, esp if they’re genetically related. Even if not though, if they spread the virus among each other giving each of them a high enough load, that could tip the scale.

The only breakthrough cases that I know of personally involve a family that lives together in the same household. Apparently, one got it from somewhere and then spread it to the rest
 not that surprising if family members spend a lot of time indoors with each other in the same residence, where a presymptomatic spreader can fill a room with virus over hours that the others are also there.

I know more people with breakthrough cases than I do who got Covid pre vaccine. Only two were hospitalized though, which is great. In my area they account for 30% of all cases, including those that are hospitalized. Not sure if that’s considered rare. We are highly vaxxed here so that may be why.

5 Likes

can you offer any support for your assertion that, in your area, 30% of those hospitalized are breakthrough cases?

added: Here is a NYT analysts that suggests that this is not the case.

I chatted with my nurse neighbor earlier today and asked him about our local hospital. Very full, over full with people on ER beds instead of comfortable beds and more. ER nurses are very burned out with many questioning why they stay in ER instead of going to easier options. New hires are getting sign on bonuses - annoying those who have been there and haven’t gotten much. He teaches a nursing class now and all of his students have sign on bonuses from various places and this is even before they’ve graduated and completed some required things.

I probably missed some things. We chatted for a bit, mostly him answering my question. His biggest worry is that soon many of those burned out nurses will actually leave for greener pastures.

He also said that Jan/Feb are usually their busiest months, but this has been worse than that and it’s been this way for a few months now.

It wasn’t an encouraging chat to me. Sadly, if there are true emergencies around, folks involved won’t be getting ideal care.

The NYT says many places are seeing decreases in numbers. We’re flat. Hopefully things improve soon. In the meantime, we shall try to avoid health issues of any sort.

H and I are going to call about booster shots tomorrow.

I think “breakthrough cases” is a strange term. If we get an MMR vaccine and end up getting a light case of measles we don’t call that a breakthrough case. Vaccines don’t prevent 100% of cases. They just keep us from getting such a severe case that it kills us. The numbers I’m interested in are the hospitalizations. How old are the people who are being admitted? How sick are they? Are they vaccinated? Do case that are so mild they can be mistaken for the common cold carry much of a viral load?

6 Likes

Ergh. We don’t know, can’t know what the actual vaxed-positive rate is. First because some who catch it will be asymptomatic; second because many who are symptomatic won’t test; third because many who test and come up positive won’t report; fourth because our data tracking’s a shambles, partly intentionally.

I don’t know that that part matters. At this point it seems to me that the important questions are:

1. what’s in the pipeline for defense against likely evolutions that defeat the current vaccines;
  2. for how long does the virus bubble away inside you marauding, and what controls that;
  3. what are the post-acute damage patterns and how do we address those;
  4. who’s winding up in the hospital despite vax;
  5. what connection exists between mild covid and long covid;
  6. until covid’s eradicated or somehow neutered, how are we going to build this into medical, governmental, social infrastructures so that we do figure out how to minimize risk reasonably, make accommodation for the vulnerable, and take care of people who wind up seriously and/or long-term ill.

2-5 strike me as all being part of the same question. It’s also worth noting that there’ll probably be many more vaccinations and therapies, so I don’t know that it’s worth perseverating on breakthrough rates on three early vaccines, especially when data collection’s poor.

3 Likes

Sure. Here’s the link to CT’s covid info: https://data.ct.gov/stories/s/q5as-kyim
This past week only 24% of vaxxed were hospitalized, but you can look back on previous weeks - it’s been pretty consistently closer to 30%. You can also go back and look at # of cases.

1 Like

30% of hospitalizations out of the 70% of the population that is vaccinated in Connecticut suggests an 82% vaccine effectiveness against needing hospitalization.

4 Likes

Interesting that the Times excluded CT. Also, that article is from early August.