Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Were they trying to justify not being covid vaccinated?

It sure seemed that way based upon the political talk I don’t want to add on here due to CC’s policies.

My guess is that this hair dye thing is the latest misunderstanding/misinformation in the endless game of social media “telephone,” where as stories get passed on they get slightly altered, usually in the direction of the predisposition of the person spreading the story.

Back in Sept. there was a BBC story (Covid-19: New allergic reactions to hair dye reported), based on anecdotes, that people who previously had Covid (not the vaccine) subsequently developed an allergy or sensitivity to hair dye. I’m not aware if there is any scientific evidence that this is actually the case. Regardless, it is easy to imagine that the anecdotes could easily have been shifted to the vaccine rather than the disease.

i just am unsure about what to do with my parents (80). It took lots of pressure for them to get the vax after my dad had covid; and thought he was immune. But, they both did it. Now, for a booster, it’s going to take a lot of pressure again. My dad thought he already had a booster (his second shot in may); and said probably not when i offered to make an appointment for him for the real booster. This is when I wished my siblings lived in town with us. Anyone else seeing reluctant parents for the booster?

Speaking of weird reactions to the vaccine. I bet a good portion of the folks who noticed something off only noticed it because they were paying close attention to their bodies after getting the shot. A sniffle? Must be the vaccine. A rash? Must be the vaccine. Yeast infection? Must be the vaccine. And so on.

9 Likes

I was at a gathering over thanksgiving weekend. 8 people, my husband and I were the only ones with a booster. 2 physicians, a dentist and a school principal, none have boosters.

So I think boosters are going to be a hard sell. My husband and I decided to get our boosters after my mil and brother in law, both fully vaccinated, both got Covid. My bil’s was bad enough that he got monoclonal antibodies.

FIL has decided not to get the booster. His reasons are word for word the same as what BIL (an anti-vaxxer) has said to us before and are all based upon misinformation (we don’t know what’s in it, they were made using fetal tissue, etc).

We had hoped when his favorite news station had two different doctors on it telling people older than 65 they should get the booster that he would change his mind, but nope.

It makes us shake our heads that people who “don’t know what’s in the vaxxes” will often willingly take various other meds (prescription and otherwise) without knowing what’s in them. FIL takes many meds for his heart and other health issues. I doubt he knows what’s in any of them.

Around us whether one gets the vaxxes or boosters seems to depend upon their source of news (not necessarily media - can be family or friends).

I’m glad we got to FIL first with the vaxxes. He at least had those. And for a time he was surprised that BIL wasn’t vaccinated - even seemed a bit angry about it. Then I guess he asked BIL why and got swayed.

1 Like

Some purported effects of vaccines may be coincidences. For example, toddlers getting vaccinated for MMR and getting autism diagnoses around the same time.

1 Like

I so agree. That’s why I will be avoiding most of my relatives when I’m in Austin in a few weeks. I can’t put on a fake happy face around unwise people (I was going to use a different term but restrained myself).

4 Likes

My mom, 86, lined right up for a booster in August, when they were just recommended for those in higher age groups and/or with underlying conditions. She has cancer.

Why? They were still giving out $100 gift cards at that time! She loves a deal.

7 Likes

Based on the numbers at the bottom of CDC COVID Data Tracker , it looks like about 19.7% of people who got one of the three vaccines in the US have gotten boosted (19.3% of those who first got Pfizer, 22.0% of those who first got Moderna, and 12.2% of those who first got J&J / Janssen).

It is possible to start diagnosing ASM at the age of 18 months, which is around when the last childhood vaccines are given. So, in very many cases, autism is diagnosed soon after the kid receives their set of vaccines.

Parents who believe that their kid “got autism” because of vaccines have a lot more going on than the tendency to equate correlation and causation. To begin with, they have the toxic belief that their kid is “broken”. The fact that many are are saying that they would rather expose their kid to deadly diseases rather than that the kid be on the spectrum says a lot about the sort of people they are, and what their love looks like.

Therefore somebody must be responsible. Things don’t break without outside influence.

Some are wracked with guilt because they believe that they are to blame, and blaming the vaccines provides relief from that guilt. In other cases, there are people who never accept responsibility for anything, so they skip the guilt, and go straight to to finding somebody to blame.

They also are scientifically illiterate, or worse, have knowledge without understanding. So vaccines are a mystery, and therefore scary.

This is one of the ways that people who are not raging narcissists end up antivaxx. They do not believe that vaccines work, so they believe that not vaccinating their kids will not cause their kids harm. These parents do not see it as a choice between autism and smallpox, like the NPD parents do, these parents see it as a choice between no danger and potential autism.

So these parents are already set up to believe that vaccines caused their kid to be ASM. Most parents do not have that set of characteristics, so if their kids is diagnosed as being ASM after they finished the 0-18 month vaccine schedule, they do not make that connection.

1 Like

That’s an interesting page. I see how few people mixed-and-matched for the booster, especially for the ones who got an mRNA for their primary series. I did it deliberately.

But only 12.2% of J&J recipients got a booster!

1 Like

I think you’ll see those numbers go up substantially here soon. It wasn’t until recently that they were available for most age groups. Ohio just recently authorized boosters for all age groups regardless of health situation. My booster is scheduled for Friday. My wife was able to get her booster a month ago because she had the J%J.

When my husband and I got our boosters, we got what they had that day. There was no choice, we got what the pharmacy had in stock on the day we went.

Our first doses were Pfizer, husband got another Pfizer and I got Moderna.

I guess we could have called around but we decided to get what was available

2 Likes

I wonder how many of the mix-and-matchers did so because they got what was available? When I tried, only 1 of the 3 drugstore chains would schedule me for a different vax from my primary dose (and this was after mix-and-match was approved by FDA and CDC). The 1 chain that did offer mix-and-match appointments didn’t have the vax I wanted at a convenient time close to me. So I ended up checking out a nearby state vax site, and there were plenty of appts. available. I know someone last week tried to do the mix-and-match, and all pharmacy chains still weren’t allowing mix-and-match online scheduling. So I’m wondering if THAT is affecting how many people are doing mix-and-matching, too?

I went for my booster at the county site and wasn’t given an option to change.

I think so. When I checked, Walgreens wouldn’t let me mix but CVS did, so I went to CVS. But if CVS hadn’t had any appointments and Walgreens had, I would have gone there and not mixed.

Interesting. I had J&J originally (at CVS), and had zero problem scheduling for a Moderna booster online at CVS. This was about 4 weeks ago. When there, someone in line asked about mixing and matching, and the response was that it was no problem at all.

Don’t know why this would be a regional thing.

Our local hometown pharmacy (mom and pop) has all three vaxxes and let us choose which one we wanted. H and I purposely switched from Pfizer to Moderna and they didn’t blink an eye.