Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

We have 2 CVS stores, one at the east end and one at the west end. CVS east has Moderna and CVS west has Pfizer. Don’t know who has J&J.

This is very anecdotal but of the few people that I personally know that got JnJ, the reason was that they wanted to be one and done.

I wouldn’t call these people anti vaxx. But more antipathy vaxx. Yea, ok I’ll get the vaccine. I’m not that convinced that I need it and if I do have to get it, I want one shot and done.

So it might be that people that picked Johnson and Johnson might be less worried(?) about the pandemic than others.

4 Likes

My son and his wife got J&J because that’s all the Navy was offering. They got boosted with Moderna, and I suspect that again they had no choice.

Following Austria, Germany imposes nationwide lockdown for the unvaccinated:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/europe/germany-lockdown-covid-restrictions-intl/index.html

4 Likes

Headlines around here are talking about how PA’s numbers are continuing to rise, hospitalizations too (causing problems for hospitals), and almost all among the unvaccinated.

I wonder how long it will take for the unvaccinated to take their turns with the Covid lottery. (sigh)

My dad (>80) had covid ~1 year ago (pre-vaccine). He was very ill. He got vaccinated, but really struggled after both shots (fell multiple times, hard to rouse, etc). My mom, a retired RN/FNP, actually thought he was going to die at home after the second shot. An aside, but my friend said, “Your mom has a high bar for calling 911.” Mom’s response: “What were they going to do?” Anyhow, my dad has not gotten a booster. Honestly, I wonder if he falls into the “too frail” category at this point, given his concerning responses after his vaccinations. I’ve encouraged him to speak to his MD about the booster to weigh the pros and cons given his age/health, but am not sure that has happened.

1 Like

Some Costcos have JNJ, that’s where my son was boosted last week. His initial shot was at a local Walmart, but it doesn’t seem any of our Walmarts have JNJ now.

He’s probably ok. Covid + 2 shots is like being boosted already.

3 Likes

Yes. I am curious as to why you would even push a booster when he has already had Covid plus two shots and suffered such a horrible reaction.

something I’ve heard “one infection= one injection” (getting covid once is the same as getting a vaccine once, so you only need 1 dose and 1 booster)

Seems like various studies suggest that for COVID-19 immune response:

I+V+V ≈ I+V > V+V
I+V+V > I

(I = infection, V = one dose of a two dose vaccine)

The few studies that exist about reinfection suggest that infection alone is somewhat similar in protection against future infection as vaccination (80-93%, although one study in Denmark found only about 50% protection age 65+).

All of the above suggest that it may be reasonable policy to accept verified prior infection (e.g. medical record, positive COVID-19 test during infection, or positive anti-nucleocapsid antibody test result) as immunity equivalent to vaccination but those have had prior infection could still benefit from enhanced immunity against future infection with a dose of vaccine.

Well, I got the prayer request updates in this morning. This first one is the one who needed a “true miracle:”

J died Wednesday evening; please continue to pray for her family as they grieve her loss. She was married, with 2 children in their late teens/early twenties.

And this was the guy in his 50s (sounds like the other lady was close in age to that too, but I didn’t know her personally):

he had a good night last night his oxygen they were able to reduce to 90 and his sats were holding. He is still very critical and septic now.

It came with a new one for today - a family and grandmother all at their homes managing their Covid and hoping it turns into nothing.

Why anyone is still anti-vax, esp if they are older than 20 or so, boggles my mind. Two shots and a far, far greater peace of mind due to the odds that go with each group.

It’s the lottery they choose to take part in I guess.

(I don’t plan to update this daily)

6 Likes

They had a true miracle, vaccines. They ignored the miracle. Sad.

15 Likes

Our doctor friend had to intubate an otherwise healthy 32 year old with Covid who was not vaccinated this week. Our friend said it does not look good for this guy.

I wasn’t intending to “push” a booster on my dad. He was wondering if he should get it or not. I suggested he talk to his doctor about the pros and cons given his own situation.

4 Likes

Talking with medical boy a little bit ago. He told me of a 28 year old on a ventilator he’s been caring for (Covid). My guy is 27. They could have been peers at school had they grown up in the same area. I wonder what the other “kid’s” parents are thinking.

The preliminary information suggests that prior Covid infection did not protect against Omicron..

If vaccines provide some protection against Omicron (WHO: Existing vaccines will likely protect against Omicron), I wonder if that will shift a few folks from the “I don’t need a vaccine because I have already had Covid” camp.

1 Like

Family of four in Salem, MA all got COVID. Mother and older daughter fully vaccinated had mild cases. Mother is pregnant. Father and younger daughter unvaccinated and in hospital on ventilators. All four have an underlying health condition. Father was afraid of the vaccine side effects.
Massachusetts family of four sick with coronavirus, two in ICU (wcvb.com)

Interesting thing: the combo on my campus of pretending that covid doesn’t exist and the spectacular job market has finally woken HR to the fact that we’re hemorrhaging employees who don’t want to set foot on campus, also that it’s really hard to recruit well-educated adults to come work in a covid vat for laughable money. So they’ve done an about-face on the “no exceptions unless you fight us, come back at least part-time, get back in the classroom” thing and are handing out approvals for remote and flexible work with more alacrity than they hand out masks to students. I’ve now got leave to work remotely and entirely flexibly through next summer; I’m teaching remotely/asynchronously next semester. Had they not, I’d still be okay, thanks to jobs #2 and #3, but…okay, I’ll basically live finals week for the next year and a half, come out with a paid-off house.

They’re also finally asking people to report, voluntarily, whether they’ve been vaccinated or not, and I’m just like – stop playing games, make it mandatory like you should and can, and I’ll upload my card.

Nearly a thousand students and employees have voluntarily reported testing positive this semester; more children every day in the hospital. Vax rate’s inched up slooooowly.

Depending on what omicron turns out to be, I really wonder what next semester’s going to look like. If it’s bad, I can see us trying to keep up the charade of “all is well” until they’re forced to admit that people just aren’t showing up for work and/or simply abandoning classes. D’s already had that happen this semester, guy just announced that they weren’t having any more class meetings, he’ll be sending them work to do. To which I say: good for him, she knows how to read.

Meanwhile, D’s dad and his wife have apparently declined to get the booster, and her stepsister’s a hot mess. Two words: ankle bracelet. Her aunt’s entire family just had covid. So I’ve bought her winter housing at the dorm, she’ll stay there for a few days after finals, come back here for a week, then probably either go visit friends who’re all vaxxed up or go back to the dorm, since she can’t come and go from here when we live in “covid’s a hoax” land with no freaking rules.

I’m thinking NYPost’s not a great source for covid info: this article doesn’t actually say much of anything. WHO’s saying nothing firm, appears to be trying to get people to stop panicking while scientists work out whether there’s anything to panic about. My guess is the ERs will tell us before they can.

My nephew in Central Pennsylvania sent me this graphic from Facebook. WellSpan Health is a hospital system there. There were several comments demanding to know why they are not publishing the number of COVID patients who have been vaccinated. Are they trying to hide that information? It appears that simple arithmetic is beyond them. Our school systems have failed.

7 Likes