Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I worked in public education. Immunizations were required.

1 Like

Earlier, in a statement to MPs in the House of Commons, the prime minister said:

• Mandatory Covid passports for entering nightclubs and large events would end, though organisations could choose to use the NHS Covid pass if they wished

• People would no longer be advised to work from home and should discuss their return to offices with employers

• Face masks will no longer be mandated, though people are still advised to wear coverings in enclosed or crowded spaces and when meeting strangers

• From Thursday, secondary school pupils will no longer have to wear face masks in classrooms and government guidance on their use in communal areas would be removed “shortly”

Further announcements on the easing of travel rules and restrictions on care home visits in England are expected in the coming days, Boris Johnson added.

In the military vaccines were given as part of enlistment. Afterwards I’ve worked in the private sector in industry and never been asked about any vaccination. I understand there would be medical related jobs where before covid this might have been a requirement. My my question was, in the case above, were vaccinations a requirement before covid.

Yes
in some states, teachers have to have the same immunizations to be employed.

But the physical happens after you are offered a job. You don’t have to prove immunization prior. Is that what you mean?

ETA
one of my kids did some work in a school. He had to provide his Immunization record to the school district or he would not have been able to work there.

2 Likes

No, it was a specific job interview that was commented on above. It doesn’t matter as that person doesn’t have to answer a question, I was just curious if THAT particular job would have required a vaccination of any sort in the past.

Both of my kids had to have a physical before their first jobs after college. I remember needing to find their immunization records. It seemed like it was part of the questionnaire before the physical. This was before the pandemic.

My daughter changed jobs recently. She had to pass a physical. She works for a very large corporation. I know that there were some invasive questions because she commented on them. I’m not sure about having a covid vaccine. She switched when vaccines weren’t widely available.

Neither work in healthcare.

1 Like

I had to prove that I had rubella when I entered college in 1976. My mother never took to the doctor for it as I was the third kid at home (early 1960’s) to get it.

In MA a strange requirement to get a teaching license is a TB test. Seems like an anachronism that nobody bothered to update—how much TB is around Massachusetts?

So I am not only vaccinated, but tested for a now very rare disease as a condition of employment.

You’d be surprised how much TB is around. According to the CDC there were more than 7,000 active cases reported in the US in 2020, which was a decline from previous years, and they estimate more than 13 million people are living with latent TB. In MA there were 142 cases in 2020, a decrease of 20% over the previous year when there were 178 (presumably the pandemic is keeping some from being diagnosed).

4 Likes

There is more research available on this than most. Look it up.

I’m pretty sure it’s still a requirement in my state. I had to do it to be a substitute teacher. And there are other states that I saw, after a brief Google search.

I was surprised that the CDC no longer recommends annual TB testing, though. They put out new guidance in March 2021. New CDC Guidelines Recommend Against Annual Tuberculosis Testing

So 142 cases in a state that is in excess of 4 million people. I double down on my contention that TB is a rate disease, yet everyone who wants to teach must be tested for it. Unless I develop an affinity for unpasteurized milk, I would be more likely to pass COVID or flu to a student.

Now before someone tells me all the ways TB can be passed on, thank you, but I can read WebMD/wikipedia just as you can.

2 Likes

The man is well-respected and has a point. A lot of people agree with him and he may very well be right.
Many people have given boosters to their sons, including me. To me, the risk of myocarditis from Covid, diabetes, long Covid, loss of face to face learning and living with an immunocompromised parent (boostered people may shed less virus and be infectious for less time) were reasons enough for me.

5 Likes

This didn’t really take off till the 2000s. Till then, it was a pretty safe assumption to make. You might get dinged on health insurance for shingles coverage, but until very recently, the odds that your 30-year-old employee was going to come in and start spreading measles or mumps or polio around were extremely low.

Going forward? If I were a private business hiring for in-person work I’d have a comprehensive vax policy in place.

4 Likes

I agree. I will say I’m glad that S21 received JNJ last spring (was the quickest way to becoming fully vaccinated so didn’t have to quarantine if exposed at school/baseball last spring)
so we didn’t have to make the mRNA booster calculus. It does seem odd that Atlantic article doesn’t even address the JNJ option for 18+ young men.

It’s unfortunate that Moderna and JNJ vaccine development has not moved as quickly as Pfizer in the under 18 age group, and I’m not sure the only Moderna specific delay in 12-17s is the myocarditis piece. Any insights on Moderna or JNJ status in under 18s @texastiger2?

You totally would be more likely to pass on Covid, but when active it’s reasonably contagious, there’s no cure (the mechanism of its antibiotic resistance was discovered only fairly recently), it kills (iirc) around a million people a year, and there are some coughs you don’t forget. It’s also possible to have it without being aware you’ve got it, which is a thing you’d want to know. I think testing’s a reasonable public health measure, and it seems to me a no-brainer on university campuses where travel’s expected.

1 Like

Here too. And it’s required by lots of colleges and also lots of camps.

1 Like

No, sorry. I haven’t heard anything. Not in the press, not in chat rooms.

I see some parents who have their kids in the Moderna trials are just now getting the boosters (in early January), so it may just be Moderna not acting as quickly as Pfizer.

1 Like