Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I agree! I hope she gets a lawyer who costs $500/hour and she wastes a lot of money. :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

my S21 received the JnJ in August before school started because we have a family history of heart issues. Its the booster requirement that the colleges are doing that is causing us anxiety. They expect my S, who is 14 hours away from home and doctors he knows. to get a booster before 6 months is up on his main shot because he got the JnJ. He was exposed twice over break and never caught Covid. He graduates in May , and we are trying to get a ME for the booster. My S, would not know what to do if he ended up with myocarditis. (he is ASD and his EF skills are not all there and knows no doctors where he is at school). My H and I are vaccinated and boosted, yet got mild covid a few weeks. We understand for ourselves the risks and it made sense. For S21 not so much. We Pushed him to get the JnJ (he initially did not want to get vaccinated at all) and now he is being pushed to take a booster less than 6 months later.

Why not have him do a telehealth visit with a doctor he knows, who can explain why he is safer getting a booster than risking Covid? Is he aware that he has a much greater risk of adverse health effects from getting Covid?

Can’t he get a JJ booster?

Is it possible that YOUR anxiety over this and likely failure to get an ME will cause him a lot of stress and anxiety?

There are pros and cons to everything. The science indicates that your fears are not born out by facts. I think it would be far better for your son to speak to a medical doctor who can explain the medical pros and cons to him.

What does your S’s doctor say? A JNJ booster is recommended 2 months after initial one dose vaccination (started out at the 6 month mark).

The myocarditis has been an issue (rare) with the 2 mRNA products, not JNJ. JNJ has had clotting issues (thrombosis with thrombocytopenia aka TTS), but very rare, and primarily in relatively young women.

I actually know someone who died of TB. They found out he had it when he started a new job that required a test. There are drug resistant versions that are quite a problem.

As an aside, your son should understand that there is a campus health clinic which will refer him to a doctor or hospital should he need it. If he was that concerned, I’m guessing he wouldn’t have gone to college 14 hours away.

1 Like

Yes, it’s relatively rare, but I’m always surprised at how many people think it’s a thing of the past completely. A TB case is extremely complicated to treat (multiple drugs for six to twelve months w/ extensive case management and that assumes it’s not resistant to any of the front-line drugs). Most cases are spread from other people, not milk these days. The other advantage to TB testing is if you have a latent infection you can be prophylactically treated and therefore it won’t become active as you get older. Now, it’s true, if you were born in this country and not immunocompromised your chances of having TB are vanishingly small. But with a relatively inexpensive & easy test I can see why they think it makes sense to test everyone just to be sure.

3 Likes

He is the one driving this, not I in terms of worrying about the booster. He also had strange side affects from the JnJ that also worried him and has a referral to an endocrinologist. We dont know if the vaccine caused his tremors or not.
I know i am in wrong place here, but honestly I am having trouble with booster requirements for young people, and agree with the WHO. Boosters every 6 months is getting crazy. My friends 12 yo cant go to camp this summer unless she gets boosted.

8 Likes

CDC is not recommending boosters every six months. It very well could be the camp’s insurer that is requiring the booster (making sure that CDC recommendations are followed).

2 Likes

Supreme Court might feel differently. Keep boosting though :joy:

I am curious what your basis for this is? Vaccination status is not one of the EEOC protected classes(i.e. there are all kinds of things it is legal to discriminate against) and businesses have been able to require vaccines as a condition of employment for eons. Do you think the courts are going to have a covid vaccine specific exception?

8 Likes

Like you, I’m curious too. Many jobs require vaccinations and no one to my knowledge has ever won a discrimination suit against them. Why would Covid be any different?

3 Likes

One of my sons tested positive for Latent TB, first on the skin test, then via blood. The best guess is he got it on one of his overseas trips in his youth and has had it ever since. He’s getting treated for it now - for free - since the gov’t considers it highly important even though he has no symptoms. It could become active someday. The only way they knew he had it was due to a required test for employment.

To me, it definitely makes sense to test people for it. It’s out there in the world and can do a bit of damage if one gets an active case.

7 Likes

In its recent decision regarding the vaccine mandates, the Court did not say that employers can’t impose such mandates. You can read the SCOTUS decision, freely available online.

Also, see the law professors discussing the decision:

“It’s important to note that the Court’s opinion doesn’t say employees can’t be required to take the vaccine. It just says OSHA can’t require it under this particular statute. Congress can require it, or states can require it for worksites within their borders. In many states, cities and counties could as well. And in most states, employers can choose it require it on their own. I would expect some of these actors will step in to fill the vacuum left by the Court’s decision.”

8 Likes

Doesn’t discrimination have to be based upon something people can’t change - like skin color, gender, or something more ingrained like religion?

A private business can require uniforms if they want and someone who didn’t want to wear one can’t claim discrimination, right?

Then too, can’t private places actually discriminate more if they want to - like requiring only men or only women work there? I thought it was gov’ts that were more restricted.

I may not be up on the latest info, so feel free to update me if my thoughts are incorrect.

I know places around me require flu vaccinations - my son worked at one pre-Covid - so I definitely can’t see where requiring a Covid vax for employment is discrimination, at least not in PA.

2 Likes

From all I know, Paul Offit is very well respected. If you’re interested in a longer take by him, he was interviewed on this podcast recently. I think one of his take home questions is this: we have never asked any previous vaccine to prevent “mild” illness, so why are we asking that of this one, especially now that we are far better prepared with treatment?
ETA: I want to be very clear that he is referring to boosters with that question. He is very pro-vaccination for the initial doses!

2 Likes

Not necessarily. It can be set by a statute; in some places, one can’t be discriminated against based on their political ideology or marital status.

3 Likes

Not in the wrong place. I think some have just gone silent.

4 Likes

Not silent. Speaking for myself only (and as someone who has received Pfizer x 3 and Moderna x 1), no one here is an expert, we treat people with civility, and recognize the importance of respecting others who may have different views. I don’t have the “correct” answer and will be silent if someone else is struggling on this issue, as it should be their decision. The important thing, and Dr. Offit agrees, is that everyone is vaccinated. Not only in the US but around the world. Many people think everyone should be boosted as well. Others think boosters, especially ones that haven’t been updated to cover the latest strains, aren’t necessary in otherwise healthy people. We just don’t have the data to say one theory is right and one is wrong on the necessity of boosters in healthy teenage boys right now. I personally find it refreshing to see the people on this thread being silent on this issue and not forcing one belief over another.

ETA: I can say what I have done and give my reasons why, which I did above. Someone else may do something different, and that is not wrong, either.

6 Likes

I’m curious! Do you know this boy? Do you know the family? The above quote should have maybe said “ maybe he can do a telehealth visit with a dr. Who knows him and his health history. Someone who can evaluate his individual needs and risks”
Not all Drs agree with you. Every person should have the right to make this decision with their Dr. And not feel that the discussion already has a predetermined decision.

6 Likes