Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Wow.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/nba-legend-john-stockton-makes-bizarre-claim-that-more-than-100-pro-athletes-have-died-from-the-covid-vaccine/ar-AAT3IQI

According to the CDC there were 5 cases of polio, 154 cases of mumps and 1,300 cases of measles in the US during their most recent reporting year.

I still like my odds and think most employers would be best served to avoid a “comprehensive vax policy” such as you suggest. Recruiting and maintaining employees is challenging enough without creating bureaucratic obstacles and encroaching on peoples privacy. Particularly a bad idea when doing so does not offer any meaningful benefit.

I of course see Covid as an entirely different situation and support mandates and corporate governance. I however think overstepping will undermine confidence, transparency and efficacy.

2 Likes

In the DC area, in my non-healthcare industry, it looks like nearly all of the job postings say the covid vax is required.

6 Likes

Nope, the Supreme Court would have no problem with an employer requiring vaccinations.

And yes, I will keep boosting. It’s easier than getting the oil in my car changed!

10 Likes

Speaking of ‘gone silent,’ I was sad to read that rock legend Meatloaf has passed. He was vocally anti-vax and mask mandate. While a cause of death has not yet been reported he was severely ill with Covid.

(ETA didn’t mean this as a response to @88jm19, but I guess this isn’t entirely unrelated to his post, as both deal with vocal celebrities and covid.)

2 Likes

Technically, any distinction is discrimination, but only some forms of discrimination are illegal discrimination in the US (some states may have additional categories of illegal discrimination).

1 Like

Perhaps because some older vaccines (e.g. against measles, polio, etc.) are so effective that they prevent any illness, mild or otherwise, people tend to have such expectations for vaccines (and many do not bother to get flu vaccines due to their relatively low effectiveness, even though they do have some effectiveness). Indeed, COVID-19 vaccines were probably that effective against the ancestral virus that they were targeted against, but less protective against mild illness with newer variants.

Hmmm. Perhaps that’s why I said maybe he can do a telehealth visit with a doctor he knows.

2 Likes

I agree, no one is an expert. Even the experts :slight_smile:

Whole family got vaxxed as soon as possible. All are boosted. I was (and still am) hesitant with the boosters. No intention of getting a 4th (especially with the data from Israel).

I spoke with my 27 year old son about MY view of him getting boosted - I didn’t think it was at all necessary. He went ahead with his plan.

I have 17 month old and 2 week grand daughters. Not sure what the parents will do. Dad works in a governmental agency with a ‘dark ops’ side. Gets info on a bunch of stuff us regular folks do not have access too. He gets to read some stuff we won’t see for a while. I will completely trust his judgement.

In my neck of the woods -words uttering concerns about boosters, or concerns about additional (or first doses) among the very young or those under 30 -are considered fighting words!

There is such an air of superiority among the tribe. A FB page titled ‘this town covid preparedness’ has banned people for even questioning the need for boosters!

So, yes. Many voices have gone silent. It seems to depend on the prevailing tribe’s mantra - as to which side gets to speak.

10 Likes

A doctor who he knows who will tell him why a booster is safer than getting covid. Hmmmmm

predetermined outcome of discussion.

6 Likes

Which would be far better than having no vaxxes and being in the ICU for me.

5 Likes

Just like my son saw and he was looking in a few different areas, all in the eastern half of the US. Each job he was looking at had multiple other applicants too, so apparently not many feel the need to opt out - at least - not at his level of job searching. (Making a decent salary with terrific benefits and using his degree from college. If one is content with Starbucks, apparently they don’t care.)

Yes, it’s not rocket science.

3 Likes

Unvaxxed are not a protected class.

8 Likes

Hmmmm
ironic
perhaps there is a correlation between the boosters and the asymptomatic?

I’ve had probably 20 flu ‘boosters’ over the years. Its quite possible (likely even?) that if I’d been testing 2x a week during flu season with a test as sensitive as our current covid tests, I would have tested positive for flu during some of those years. I’ll never know since the antibodies from the flu vaccine had a very good chance of keeping my viral load low enough that my infection was asymptomatic.

10 Likes

Impressive how you’ve twisted a suggestion to seek medical advice into a clandestine plot to mislead.

5 Likes

In this scenario, you are asymptomatic thanks to the boosters. Without them, you may be dead.
So you are in effect making the case for boosters.

8 Likes

I just typed the same thing!

2 Likes

Or they caught COVID while in the hospital for another reason, - as the numbers go out 14 days.