Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Someone who wants to live and will follow medical advice to have the best chance to do so.

If my organs get donated (I’m an organ donor), I want them to go to someone who will give them the best chance possible. I don’t care which political party or religion they belong to, just that they do the best they can to give their loved ones as much time with them as possible. Making a “statement” about my organs is not on my wish list.

7 Likes

Leaders participating in group think because the leader trait benefits the whole and the follower prioritizes individual thinking. Definitely an interesting take.

Yes but in the case of these two men, who are rejecting a life-saving transplant because of the vaccine, they are in effect choosing suicide. Their individual thinking is saying it is ok to shoot yourself in the head. To rational people, that doesn’t make sense. Why would someone want to kill themselves?
Also, we can’t say for certain but I bet these men wouldn’t have any problem taking the flu vaccine even though they’ve had the flu in the past. So what’s the difference?
And very importantly, part of the reason anti-vaxxers don’t want the vaccine is because they don’t want to put something “foreign” in their bodies. Well, somebody else’s organ is “foreign” too. It’s not ok to put 2 milliliters of vaccine in your body but it is ok to put 3 pounds of someone else.

11 Likes

My brain just can’t wrap itself around the idea that someone would choose death over taking a vaccine. It literally makes my head hurt.

13 Likes

Never mind the flu vaccine, they are okay with transplanting the organ of another into their bodies, and all the dangerous drugs and invasive procedures that go with it. Yet they refuse a vaccine that has been given safely to billions? It’s obviously not about thinking for themselves, it is about choosing not to think at all.

12 Likes

More about the Spotify situation. I read it through my Apple news feed and it was not behind a paywall

2 Likes

Opened just fine for me. Thanks!

Here is a CNN link:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/30/business/spotify-rules-joe-rogan-reliable-sources/index.html

2 Likes

And in that vein, better late than never….

5 Likes

I’m sure there are some out there who have really bad reactions to vaccines, but my son, working in a hospital with Covid patients for some time now - several patients on any given day - has yet to see anyone hospitalized for a side effect. He’s seen plenty die who didn’t get vaccinated and a couple of those were in his 20 something age range. The numbers go up as age goes up.

Choose your odds.

18 Likes

@hardy8635 I’m really curious. Why the rolling eyes to my post? I’ve relayed my son’s experience. He doesn’t work for the CDC or any politician/political party (nor do I). He’s at a fairly large research hospital. Do you think he’s lying to us about his first hand experiences or that I shouldn’t mention them on here - keep them secret or something?

Everyone on this planet is in a Covid experiment. Everyone reading on CC has to choose which group we want to be in. Our choices are unvaxxed, vaxxed (options for which one), and vaxxed + boosted (again, various options).

All I ended with is “choose your odds,” because that’s what we’re doing.

Which part of whatever I wrote has you rolling your eyes? It’s all just facts put on this thread.

15 Likes

My DC had a bad reaction to the 2nd dose of one vaccine and then a different booster - she ended up in the ER (difficulty breathing, chest pain).

So they are 0 for 2. But we figure it is still better than covid. I am actually concerned that their body may react the same way or worse to the actual covid infection!

4 Likes

deleted for privacy reasons

3 Likes

Well, of course, I was hospitalized for a side effect so there’s at least one out there. Actually make that two because the person up a couple floors from me was hospitalized for the same reaction.

Quick update: so far my platelets are back to a more normal count w/o additional therapies other than what I had received in the hospital over three weeks ago. That sort of “bounce-back” seems pretty typical with immune thrombocytopenia triggered by something like a vaccine, at least according to the literature I’ve read. However, I’m continuing to be followed by a hematologist with weekly CBC’s because we simply don’t know how my platelets will behave in the future. It’ll take several more weeks at minimum until they can be considered “stable.”

Learned a few interesting tidbits: 1) While yes, the Covid vaccine does trigger severe ITP, the incidence so far does not appear to be more frequent than what happens with other vaccines. Vaccines in general are known to do this, although the incidence is rare. 2) As to prospective future Covid vaccines for me, that’s really another TBD. Unlike the hematologist at the hospital, this current one didn’t rule them out although he hoped, of course, that it wouldn’t be necessary. I got the sense that it may come down to my own choice and what I felt was best for my overall health. ITP is very treatable, I’ll have had an excellent history of a (hopefullly) stable platelet count well beforehand, I can have blood draws weekly following any further booster, and if the count gets under 30k or so we can always apply therapies immediately. I also know what to look for this time! 3) I read a very interesting article on, I believe, WebMD or similar site, and I’ll link if I find it again. A hematologist wanted to know what the impact of the Covid vaccine was on those already being seen for ITP (for adults it can be a chronic or recurring condition). His goal was to have more information in order to advise his patients better, as many had been asking whether they should get the vaccine. He was able to gather a couple hundred patient volunteers with stable counts who had blood draws following the mRNA vax. He found that about 10% experienced significant decreases in their platelet count! His advice was that people with ITP should make sure they are closely monitored afterwards so that they can get treatment right away. As I am in this category now, having been diagnosed with ITP and with no assurance that it was a one-off, I am further encouraged to know that any additional booster isn’t necessarily ruled out for me and that my plan from #2 just to closely monitor is backed up by some research.

8 Likes

Well. My brother was hospitalized after his initial vaccines and my mother had a stroke after her booster so there’s two more.

Many of the potentially dangerous rare unwanted effects of vaccines also occur in greater frequency from the actual virus. For example:

Myocarditis: Association Between COVID-19 and Myocarditis Using Hospital-Based Administrative Data — United States, March 2020–January 2021 | MMWR
Blood clots: https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1005
Long term effects: Reduced Incidence of Long-COVID Symptoms Related to Administration of COVID-19 Vaccines Both Before COVID-19 Diagnosis and Up to 12 Weeks After

5 Likes

That first article measures the relative risk of myocarditis following Covid vs. not having Covid (ETA all data was from prior to the vaccine). Are there actually updated numbers showing incidence rate (per 100k, let’s say) for teen and young adult males experiencing Covid vs. getting that 2nd shot of the mRNA vax? Or, alternatively, showing the relative risk of getting myocarditis from that second shot of the vaccine compared to getting Covid? That would better support that, at least for that age and gender group, completing the vaccine series is less risky than not when it comes to experiencing heart inflammation. Want to say that earlier studies from several months ago suggested that getting Covid still presented a higher risk of myocarditis but they should have a lot more data now.