Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Google found this preprint:

And yes, as I wrote, Iā€™m sure there are some who have really bad reactions to the vaccines because some will have really bad reactions to any vaccine out there. Thatā€™s how human bodies with all of our variations work. But if we compare numbers of those with really bad reactions to those who merely had sore arms or maybe felt out of it for a day or two, the numbers wouldnā€™t be even close to equal.

Same goes for those who donā€™t make it.

So, as I said, choose your odds.

3 Likes

And definitely still wishing you all the best as you try to figure out what your specific odds are.

Same to everyone who had an ER causing reaction TBH. Itā€™s frustrating that vaccines arenā€™t 100% safe, even if they are totally safe for more people than Covid, itself, is.

1 Like

From Association Between COVID-19 and Myocarditis Using Hospital-Based Administrative Data ā€” United States, March 2020ā€“January 2021 | MMWR and Myocarditis Cases Reported After mRNA-Based COVID-19 Vaccination in the US From December 2020 to August 2021

Event Age Gender Myocarditis rate
COVID-19 (no vaccine) <16 all 1 in 754
COVID-19 (no vaccine) 16-24 all 1 in 1,023
COVID-19 (no vaccine) 25-39 all 1 in 1,291
Pfizer vaccine 2nd dose 12-15 male 1 in 14,138
Pfizer vaccine 2nd dose 16-17 male 1 in 9,446
Pfizer vaccine 2nd dose 18-24 male 1 in 19,073
Pfizer vaccine 2nd dose 25-29 male 1 in 57,870
Pfizer vaccine 2nd dose 30-39 male 1 in 140,845
Moderna vaccine 2nd dose 18-24 male 1 in 17,759
Moderna vaccine 2nd dose 25-29 male 1 in 41,356
Moderna vaccine 2nd dose 30-39 male 1 in 126,103

Note that myocarditis was also reported after first vaccine doses, but at much lower rates. For females, rates after vaccine doses were much lower (the highest was 1 in 91,074 for age 16-17 after the Pfizer vaccine 2nd dose).

7 Likes

Conclusions: Myocarditis (or pericarditis or myopericarditis) from primary COVID19 infection occurred at a rate as high as 450 per million in young males. Young males infected with the virus are up 6 times more likely to develop myocarditis as those who have received the vaccine.

Thanks! This is the sort of easy-to-understand conclusion I was looking for. Sure, itā€™s a preprint but itā€™s still useful (hopefully will be peer-reviewed at some point).

4 Likes

Oh good - yes I noticed that JAMA article as well. Thanks for taking the time to compile the data and post!

I am replying to myself here :laughing: but wanted to say my DC was fine! All test came back normal and no long term issues.

We went with the numbers - the chance of a serious reaction or long term effect from the vaccine was much, much, much lower than a serious reaction or long term effect from COVID!

10 Likes
2 Likes
6 Likes

Not really surprising considering how many people didnā€™t follow them. Same for masks.

All is takes is a couple of Covidiots to spread it around. There have been plenty.

By Covidiot Iā€™m referring to those who actually know or strongly feel they are positive, but they go out shopping or vacationing anyway - not those who unwittingly spread it. The latter add to it all too, albeit, not intentionally. No country can really shut down if their people need to eat and still have other health issues going on.

What has slowed Covid deaths are the vaccines. Iā€™m glad they were able to get those as quickly as they did.

2 Likes

Yes, the vaccines have done a great job of reducing the overall severity of the virus.

Just interesting how little effect the lockdowns actually had. Iā€™m glad many places are now taking a different approach.

5 Likes

So sad to think how many, particularly children, suffered unnecessarily from the closings.

10 Likes

I think itā€™s because in a free society we have no way of enforcing a true lockdown. The closest we had to a real lockdown was at the beginning of the pandemic. It was unsustainable due to human nature, our reticence to being controlled, and pure economics. The very fact that this is a thread is testament to this and overall this group is a pretty homogenous group ideologically. The same to a lesser degree can be said for vaccine and mask mandates. For them to really work there has to be an authority that can use force to enforce it. That will not happen here or in any free society.

2 Likes

Or a general consensus to greatly self restrict for enough to stamp out the virus to gain freedom from the virus afterwards (e.g. New Zealand).

But that never happened in the US, where ā€œlockdownsā€ were only enough to fight the virus to a tie, and then people gave up when the game went to overtime. The virus did not give up in overtime.

6 Likes

NZ just postponed arrival of the virus. When the country opens back up, omicron or whatever variant then in force will sweep through. The vaccine then utilized may or may not be effective against that variant.

The study seems consistent with the results I have observed. Schools were open all the time here; they werenā€™t elsewhere, nevertheless we all seemed to experience the delta and omicron surges.

3 Likes

Postponing the virus until after vaccination reduces the number of infections, hospitalizations, and deaths compared to letting the virus run through the population before vaccines were available.

16 Likes

That can work in a small island with more sheep than people. I donā€™t think it is particularly helpful for a larger country.

2 Likes

Before vaccines were available, did you variolate yourself with the virus to get it over with, or did you try to postpone your exposure to the virus until after vaccination?

1 Like

Localized lockdown didnā€™t work unless people were restricted from entering and leaving the area. Otherwise, viruses would just move to another area and spread there, and move back to the area once the lockdown was lifted. Itā€™s much easier to restrict the movement of people in island nations.

1 Like

Like everywhere, we were told to avoid exposure in order to ā€œflatten the curveā€ and ease burdens on then overwhelmed hospitals. Was that not the guidance you were given? I never expected to avoid covid altogether, just time it right for the healthworkersā€™ workload.

3 Likes