Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

yeah, but they put others at risk as soon as they leave the game…

6 Likes

I understand everyone has stated their opinions, but I haven’t been able to find a response to the quoted question.

@CUandUCmom @O2BonCC

The actual California mask rules are given at https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/guidance-for-face-coverings.aspx .

The Super Bowl would fall under the latter category of masks being required for unvaccinated people, but not for vaccinated people. It appears that the NFL rule of mask required for everyone is stricter, but was not really obeyed or enforced that well.

Doesn’t LA County have a mask requirement that ends tomorrow (Wed)? SoFi Stadium game fans might not be adhering to the mask mandate but it was definitely in place for the Superbowl.

We were blessed with a second grandchild - 5 weeks ago. The first one is 18 months old.

DD informed us yesterday that when one child has a pediatric appointment, the parent may not bring the other child along with them! The second child is considered a ‘guest’ and under COVID protocols, ‘guests’ are not allowed at office visits.

Now, DD has a support system…Omi and Opa will step in when needed. She works from home and hubby is able to do the same. But WTH does a normal working parent do? How many pediatric visits are being postponed (and how many vaccinations are not being received) because taking a kid to the doctor now involves schedule and most likely paying for a sitter

This is another area 'COVID" related harm is happening.

4 Likes

Now can we move on?

2 Likes

Wow, that’s tough. You’d think they’d make an exception if a parent had no other choice. My adult son’s doctor said I can come in with him for his next appointment since he gets stressed out very easily. She said if the front desk gives us any trouble just to tell them the doctor approved my presence. Maybe your daughter could talk directly to the pediatrician if she ever has bring another little one?

1 Like

She hasn’t forced the issue because it’s not been a show stopper for her. Most of these rules are clinic by clinic, practice by practice and even Dr. by Dr. dependent.

DH had a kidney infection during the height of COVID. The urgent care wouldn’t let me come in with him. He was running a fever and there were clear cognitive issues. The doc gave him a long list of verbal instructions…which were then never relayed to me … because H was in pain and a bit out of it. Next day H gets a call…which I take…and I get a stern talking to because we didn’t follow instructions. Yikes. I’m hoping these types of things come to light and are also put into some magical database. Since there will be a ‘next time’…if we don’t learn then we will repeat.

Read an article recently which in summary said…we were way to slow to respond to the arrival of COVID and made things worse by delaying measures. Now, quite possible, we are repeating the process in reverse. To slow to remove restrictions. Both have equal outcomes…and they are not good.

4 Likes

Wow, that’s scary!

I agree with that article. We just watched a movie called “Together,” in which a British couple and their young son are stuck at home during the UK lockdown. The film starts out very funny, and then turns serious when the woman’s mother dies alone from COVID. The woman then does a LONG monologue about COVID and how she believes her mother was killed by the government because it reacted to the epidemic too slowly. It was quite something.

On my community Facebook page, some people still seem paralyzed and afraid to do anything. One man, who has always delved into research and statistics, tells these folks they shouldn’t be so scared and things are getting back to normal. He feels pretty vehemently about that.

This is scary. That should have never happened, and that doc is just waiting for a lawsuit to happen. The clinics here give a detailed printout of all post-visit instructions.

2 Likes

I hate it when doctors expect me to remember oral instructions. That’s just not the way I operate. Even more irritating is doctors who give oral instructions that don’t line up with the written ones they hand out. I think wound care, how to prep for your colonoscopy, how to take your medications (if it’s not going to be on the bottle) should all be on a piece of paper.

6 Likes

This seems to have less to do with COVID-19 than failure to give written instructions that matched the verbal instructions. Even if a patient is allowed to bring someone else, that is not assurance (from the physician’s point of view) that verbal instructions will be remembered correctly later.

1 Like

H did get a printout of instructions. BUT, it failed to detail some critical parts of the verbal instructions.

Additionally, because something seemed off to me, I tried to connect with the clinic/provider several times throughout the day but a reply was long in coming.

Don’t want to beat this drum any longer. My point is simply…many people are getting dropped by the system. While understandable during the beginning and height of the epidemic, it’s less understandable now.

I’ve recently had some issues in what I KNOW is the gyno area. The receptionist at the Gyno office was grilling me to the point of insult. She was trying to determine if I needed a visit with their provider of if I need to go to my PCP. For the Love. Of. Sanity…I OWN the parts, I know where the parts reside and I know who I need to see. The only way past the gate keeper was to finally greatly exaggerate what I was experiencing. Then, I got an appointment.

Unfortunately we are not back to where things were pre-pandemic and we may never get back there.

Hopefully we will be able to get better information as we adjust to the new normal.

I have prescribed ivermectin(oral) for almost 2 decades for scabies and head lice. It is also very effective as an anti-inflammatory medicine for things such as severe itching when no underlying cause can be found. This is off-label, but off-label is very common and has been acceptable practice in medicine for decades. It is much too expensive for companies to go through the process of getting FDA approval for every indication for which a medication can work. Especially with older medications that are now generic, there is no financial benefit to do so - so it doesn’t happen. Many, many medications that are used in humans are also used in animals, including those in the food supply. Let’s just get over the “horse de-wormer” bit in this discussion please.

16 Likes

The part that is horse-dewormer is in there because people are literally using horse-dewormer, often from feed stores. I seriously doubt you’ve ever prescribed that.

7 Likes

I am more optimistic of what will happen next. Some have been living a pre-pandemic lifestyle for quite a while now (no masks, no mandates that directly affect them, etc.) and it will eventually come down to an individual’s risk tolerance what normal will be. Once young children are eligible and have time to get vaccinated, I don’t see wearing a mask again unless it is required (I haven’t been to any place with that requirement in the last year besides my local schools), or if I know I will be around someone with a compromised immune system. Things could always change, but the numbers for those like my immediate family who are fully vaccinated and boosted are so good, that I am willing to take that small risk (currently 1/10000 for death and ~3/100 for Long Covid symptoms after 12 weeks in recent research) to live life to the fullest.

5 Likes

Fully vaccinated and boosted in PA - done wearing a mask. Never see signs anymore requiring it.
Many schools have made masking optional- I’m hoping our district does the same soon.

1 Like

Two days ago I got an email invitation to a 91 year old birthday party. It just gave the restaurant name, time and what kind of food/drinks will be served. I later found out it will be indoor for a large group of people. I really didn’t know how to respond at first, but ended up saying that I will be stopping by (wearing a mask) and not have food or drinks. The host asked me why I wouldn’t be eating and drinking with them. I have to say I was shocked they would host an indoor birthday party for a 91 year old person. I guess I am just not ready yet.

2 Likes

How wonderful that a 91 year old is able to get out of the house and celebrate the event with many friends and family. I hope it brings him much joy. I think he understands and accepts the risks.

13 Likes