Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Will the Omicron variant be the one common by the time this vaccine comes out?

1 Like

I guess itā€™s an educated guess.

Since no one can guess what any new variant will be like, itā€™s the only option, unfortunately.

Or perhaps betting on that if some new variant comes, having multiple variants for the vaccines increases the chance that the new variant is closer to one of the vaccine variants than it would be if only the ancestral virus were used for vaccines.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure thatā€™s what many labs are looking at, but the complication will almost certainly delay their launch.

My MD husband came down with Covid after attending a college class reunion weekend in June. He started taking Paxlovid on Day 2 of his symptoms. He improved on Day 3 and on Day 4 he stopped Paxlovid as he was feeling much better and he was worried about the rebound syndrome. This was before Fauci announced he had Covid and subsequently the rebound. All in all he felt run down for only one day. I didnā€™t attend his reunion and luckily I have avoided getting Covid so far.

We are going to Montreal to attend a wedding in 2 days and I would feel extremely fortunate if I came home unscathed. There will be 3 indoor receptions. I also delayed having my second booster until 2 weeks ago in preparation for this trip.

1 Like

This happens every year with the formulation of the flu shotā€”predictions are made regarding which flu strains will be prevalent. Some years they nail it, other years they donā€™t get it right.

As of now, the best guess is that omicron will be prevalent, I assume.

Moderna is working on two bivalent strains for fall approval: ā€œmRNA-1273.222 contains the BA.4/5 Omicron strain and is being developed in accordance with recent FDA recommendations, while mRNA-1273.214 contains the BA.1 Omicron strainā€¦ā€

https://investors.modernatx.com/news/news-details/2022/Moderna-Announces-New-Supply-Contract-With-The-U.S.-Government-For-An-Initial-66-Million-Doses-Of-A-Moderna-Bivalent-Covid-19-Booster-Vaccine-With-Options-For-U.S.-Government-To-Purchase-Up-To-An-Additional-234-Million-Doses/default.aspx

1 Like

Flu is seasonal and doesnā€™t spread as fast so we can use data from the other hemisphere to make some reasonable prediction. COVID isnā€™t seasonal, at least any more, and BA.5 spreads so fast that it peaks nearly simultaneously everywhere.

However, for COVID-19 vaccines, the virus tends to mutate faster, while new variant vaccines must go through a lengthier approval process than for new variant flu vaccines. So there is a greater risk of a COVID-19 vaccine being mismatched than a flu vaccine.

@cbreeze Can you stop taking Paxlovid before using the dosages up? I am on day 3 and feel fine. The instruction is to complete the 5-day course.

I felt great after 1.5 days after starting paxlovid. I did finish the course. I had one more day after I finished that I felt some symptoms. Post nasal drip, sore throat, general aches. But very, very mild. I figured it was a slight rebound but I didnā€™t report it as it was so mild. Iā€™m glad I finished the paxlovid and I was feeling great while on it.

My husband had Covid early June. Fully vaxxed and double boosted. We looked all the recommendations for those who should consider paxlovid and he met none of the criteria. He mainly just felt like he had a bad cold. There are reasons not to take paxlovid too, and our understanding is that if you just have a mild case with no underlying health conditions, you shouldnā€™t take paxlovid. Husband didnā€™t take it, as it wasnā€™t warranted in his case. He was effectively back to normal within five days.

My neighbor was quite a bit sicker and she wished she had taken it. She was sick for about 9 days and tested positive for two weeks. Another friend has now had Covid three times. Sheā€™s been pretty sick every time. Paxlovid wasnā€™t available yet in the UK, where she ended up being stranded for five weeks because it took that long for,her to test negative. (To be clear, she had been there for two weeks already when she got sick. These ladies have both been vaxxed and double boosted.

1 Like

Sure, but the present vaccine was designed for a variant that doesnā€™t really exist anymore. ANY changes to the vaccine would make it more effective against current variants (or future ones descended from omicron), yes??

Sure, it could mutate again, but also, flu vaccine formulators get it wrong as well sometimes.

People often quit taking antibiotics before the whole course, and that practice has gotten us into a whole lot of trouble.

True, this is a completely different drug, but assuming they donā€™t make recommendations for absolutely no reason, Iā€™d go ahead and finish the course. Why take the chance for a rebound?

1 Like

Yes, you can stop the Paxlovid if you feel fine, less chance of rebound. Paxlovid isnā€™t a cure, just lessens the symptoms and chances for hospitalization. But of course, consult with your doctor.

1 Like

Lol, Igloo, good health to you no matter what you do!

Another friend just reported positive test after traveling to Vegas this weekend. Itā€™s just everywhere.

Just had my first meeting with my new doctor (previous one having moved away). I asked her hypothetically what the procedure would be if I had a positive home test. She said to call and that they have a protocol to get someone like me on Paxlovid within 24 hours. This is due to my age and diabetes II condition. She said they trust the home test positive reading so wouldnā€™t need symptoms or a PCR or anything else.

Also was aggravated by the guy who arrived after me to check in - he was maskless so picked up one at the desk (heavy beard so not sure how effective a mask would be anyway) and essentially bragged about how he was one of the few who managed to avoid COVID vaccinations. Fortunately I was called into the exam room about a minute later. The nurse said they get a lot of people like that.

When my D;'s boyfriend got the positive from the home test, I went to the local pharmacy. They needed the proof of positive test to give out Paxlovid. With the positive test strip, he got his Paxlovid within the hour.

How does Paxlovid work? Donā€™t they say thereā€™s no cure for virus? It just has to run its course? Is just suppressing symptoms?

Well, the COVIDians found me. Tested positive this morning. Last test was on Saturday morning (antigen) which was negative. We did that because we were visiting an elderly couple - for an outdoor get together. And, weā€™d been to that four day wedding event - with the return flight the previous Sunday. So weā€™d been testing every day. But stopped as of Sunday, two days ago.

Anyway. I couldnā€™t sleep last night - which is unusual because I am blessed with great sleeping skills. I also felt agitated. Tested with CUE first thing and it was positive. Just for yucks sake - did a Binax test. Almost instant black line,

I have a low grade temp and a bit of a head cold feeling. No mucus or much coughing (occasional but dry), but my ears feel like they are being pulled and my neck muscles are sore. Feel a bit sluggish when I get up.

Went to a ā€˜test to treatā€™ mobil clinic. After testing positive there, I had a tele visit with a physician. Given my medical history the only risk factor is that Iā€™m almost 63 - had to cancel the BD celebration planned for this weekend. Sigh.

Doc said I could take the Paxlovid if I want and went thru all the risks, etc. I decided to take a prescription home with me. If I feel like Iā€™m getting hammered or not improving, Iā€™ll start it before the end of the 5 day window.

H was negative this morning. Heā€™s going to test before bedtime. He does have a CPAP with filtersā€¦so maybe that was protective. I am more worried about him because heā€™s on meds that preclude Paxlovid. I did find two infusion centers with Bebtelovimab in stock. If he turns up positive, it seems like that would be the way to go. Heā€™s given his PCP a heads up regarding the situation.

Where did I get thisā€¦give a 2-4 day window I suspect a museum visit early Sunday. It was indoors, it was crowded and I had forgotten my mask in the car and was too lazy to go back and get it. Guess it could also have been at a large outdoor event where we watch bicycle racing.

Mainly Iā€™m just pissed that it found me.