Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Curious question for those who had covid and went to a doctor: Did they give you antibiotics? My co-worker whose parents had it a couple of weeks ago… Her mom (who got sick first) was at 5+ days, so she was given antibiotics and prednisone. Her Dad got the low dose paxlovid on ~day 2 via a telemed visit. Her Mom recovered on a normal 1 week schedule. Her Dad is still coughing 2 weeks later and went to his normal doctor today. Co-worker reports that his doc said she wouldn’t have put him on paxlovid. She said that she’s had better luck with antibiotics and prednisone.

Umm… wouldn’t antibiotics have no effect on covid? But my other co-worker was also given antibiotics/prednisone with her illness from a different doctor/facility. And she’s the one that still coughing/wheezing months later and has developed asthma.

I was just curious if throwing antibiotics at covid was common elsewhere?

Unless there was also a concurrent bacterial infection of concern, antibiotics would be worse than useless (breeding more resistant bacteria).

Did the doctors explain why the antibiotics were prescribed? If not, then it may be time to find new doctors.

9 Likes

Great question. I don’t know, but I fly out to see them tonight for a whirlwind trip, so I’m sure the topic will come up.

Countries are dropping their vaccine requirements left and right. But up until lately you needed a vaccine within the last 270 days in some countries.

No. People around here always seem to be given antibiotics when they get sick. Pet peeve of mine.

1 Like

For the EU the definition of fully vaccinated it -

The primary vaccination series…if this was concluded more than 270 days ago then you need A booster. That is ONE booster. And that booster can have been administered MORE than 270 days ago.

If you’ve had COVID a letter of recovery takes the place of a booster. But the letter of recovery is only good for 180 post initial verified positive test.

2 Likes

Thanks @dietz199, very informative

Antibiotics were heavily prescribed early in the pandemic.

Today, the doc might be concerned about viral covid turning into viral pneumonia which then begets bacterial pneumonia. In an elderly person (or immunocompromised), that could be fatal before the bacterial gets tested by a specimen.

1 Like

An article about nasal rinsing.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/01455613221123737

2 Likes

YLE writes about data that suggests that another wave may be coming:

There are also appear to be lots of new variants, mostly descendants of BA.5.

3 Likes

Research on mouthwash and covid 19.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-18367-6

My Crest mouthwash has the ingredient discussed.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been using it for a while now, for this reason. Ordered from Amazon.

1 Like

Act Mouthwash also has it, available in stores. I use the dry mouth version.

1 Like

I have two appointments for the bivalent vaccine on Monday (made just in case one or the other place cancelled on me) and am thinking about which one to cancel and which to keep.

One is at the CVS five minutes away - but that’s where I got my Shingrex vaccine that caused me so much pain and trouble. I’ve had previous vaccines there from the same pharmacist with only my usual arm pain but still…I am wary. But I would use almost no gas getting there.

The other is through UCSD Health (my health system) and is drive through in a parking lot, likely given by a nurse. It’s maybe 20-25 minutes away. I feel I would be better able to discuss my reactions to vaccines and if the Shingrex reaction was just because of the kind of vaccine, or if placement in the arm could have been a factor. Also, I would be able to drop by the nearby World Market afterwards and pick up my favorite puff snacks. And anything else interesting!

I would go to the close place. The shingles vaccine is tough. I had severe reactions to it. I don’t think it has anything to do with how it is administered.

I would go to the farther place if you have the time. It sounds like you can get more of your needs met in terms of asking questions and such, you don’t have to get out of your car and you can do some enjoyable errands. I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone having a reaction within a hour or two of getting the shot that you will be down and out immediately.

I’m also a “mind over matter” person. You can go home and wait for a reaction to come - or you can stay busy and go about your day and eventually you will know if you are feeling cruddy or not! A 20 minute ride back home is do-able.

Shingrix is notorious for making people feel like they have the flu for a few days. So whatever decision you make I’d keep that in mind. I had a high fever and aches and chills for the first 12 hours, but I chose to also get the extra-strength flu shot the same day, figuring I might as well take two shots that might make me ill and get it over with.

4 Likes

The strongest vaccine reaction I ever experienced was with Shingrix. Flu-like symptoms along with swelling, redness and heat at the injection site. My arm was very tender for several days.

3 Likes

I just got the Moderna bivalent booster, along with my flu shot. I shall report what happens.

3 Likes

Same here, with the flu shot being the 65+ version which the pharmacist said would likely hit me harder. Not sure I will be able to tell the difference, since we babysat GD today and I was exhausted before going to the pharmacy. At least I have two days to rest before we babysit again.

1 Like