Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Feverish last night and this morning, and pain in the shoulder where I got the shot. It’s better now, though we’ll see this evening. No reaction to the flu shot, but I never get one.

1 Like

Glad that you’re already feeling better. Hope this evening you continue to see improvement.

1 Like

We got the Moderna bivalent booster last week, and our 15-year-old high school daughter got the Pfizer bivalent booster. Symptoms, from worst to best:

Me: fever, chills, and severe nausea the first night. Next day, called in sick. Swelling and soreness in the arm, continued chills. Two more days of sore arm. Actually the arm might have been sore and painful on the first day, too, but I was preoccupied with my other symptoms.
Daughter (Pfizer) : fever and chills the first night and the next morning, not bad enough to keep her home.
Husband: sore arm for two days.

First time Moderna for us.

For whatever it’s worth, the severity of booster symptoms was inverse to the severity of how sick we typically get. For example, when we all catch the same cold, husband gets sickest, HS daughter gets next sickest, then me least sick of us three. (College daughter gets least sick of us all.)

This inverse relationship was true first time we got boosted too (all Pfizer). College daughter had most severe symptoms, then me, then HS daughter, then husband.

1 Like

Were your bivalent booster symptoms similar to those you experienced with your prior COVID vaccines? I had much more severe reactions with my first 3 Moderna shots than my most recent bivalent one and I wondered if the greater timeframe between my first booster and this one (10 months) made the difference.

Got the Moderna bivalent booster at 5pm 09/30. Felt fine that night. The next day, around 1 pm, on the way to the grocery store, I started getting chills. I was covered with goosebumps. Grocery stores are really cold, so I didn’t like that and cut the errand short. By the time I got home, I had body aches in my back and legs and hips. Got under a blanket, took a nap, and felt better when I woke. Perfectly normal by the next morning.

2 Likes

I like to get the vaccine in the AM so when it hits me (12 hours later) I am in bed. The next day I drag but not so bad.

3 Likes

For whatever reason, my side effects were much worse this time. We decided to blame it on Moderna and I joked with my husband that I’m running back to team Pfizer if/when we do this again! But it could have been because we had COVID in June/July, who knows. Anyway, his side effects were a little worse but really not that bad. I would say my HS daughter’s side effects were the same or a little milder.

1 Like

I’ve had 4 Moderna so I can definitely imagine that has something to do with it!

1 Like

Moderna has a higher dose of mRNA than Pfizer.

1 Like

H and I have both had the latest Moderna booster, although mine was only
four days ago. We met with two RE agents today unmasked for nearly two hours. I opened several windows and turned on ceiling fans before they arrived, and fortunately it was 70 this afternoon. I kept a table or kitchen island between us 95% of the time. Hope that was good enough.

Masking was never done willingly by more than a small percentage of adults here and these days it’s rare. It’s all be completely politicized in our area. Based on what I’ve read on a local Fb page run by folks who are pro-vax and pro-mask, very few doctors mask any longer according to some people still searching for one who does.

Interesting that physicians generally refuse to mask in your area. COVID-19 is not the only airborne virus that could be spread around by sick people seeking health care. Also, what about dentists and dental hygienists?

California still requires mask use in health care facilities and long term / senior care facilities, except in non-clinical areas when community transmission is low.

Very few other businesses require masks these days, although it does appear that mask use in indoor businesses is still a non-trivial minority. However, many of those using masks are not using high effectiveness masks (N95 / KN95 / KF94).

Why didn’t you request that they mask? If they are coming in your home and want your business, they wouldn’t have masked?

2 Likes

At the bottom of this page:

is mention of some of the economic effects of long COVID:

• Among people who report long COVID symptoms, 23% are not working as a result of the sickness, and 46% reduced work hours as a result of the sickness.
  • 1.1 million people in the US are out of work at any given time because of long COVID, and reduced work hours result in another 500,000 full-time-equivalent job vacancies.

I just got back from my colonoscopy. It was in the big city an hour south. I was pleased and surprised that masks were required by all and I didn’t see anyone out of compliance. I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw that around here, if ever. Even the rehab center/nursing home we went to in town last week said they were required, but nobody was wearing one that we saw.

3 Likes

I took a neighbor to the ER last week after a fall. Masks were required and being worn by everyone I saw there, including preschoolers (not babies, of course). The waiting room was quite full and we were there for hours. (5pm ish to 11pm ish).

Fortunately my neighbor was fine with just pain and a nasty bump on her head. She had passed out from the fall, so it could have been bad.

3 Likes

I work on a hospital campus so I’ve been wearing a mask while at work to some degree for over 2.5 years. Masks required in all hospital spaces except non patient offices. I’ve noticed more people coming into the hospital space without a mask - they are handed one right away but for us who wear a mask like we wear a shirt to work, it’s still shocking to think that people don’t get that masks are still
Needed in a high risk area - like a hospital!!

4 Likes

H didn’t want to wear a mask. He’s been less cautious than I have been in general (which is true in other cases), with no ill effects. He felt comfortable that with windows open and fans running we’d be fine, especially since we’ve both had the most recent booster.

The house is empty, except for one large dining table and chairs where we discussed the listing. We did not go around the house with them but mostly remained in the open concept kitchen/family/dining space while they toured the house.

I think the agents would have masked if we’d asked, as we have of others in the past. Early in the pandemic, before vaccines, we terminated an architect before he even got started because he refused to mask. Refusal, wearing masks as chin straps or below the nose, and other such behavior is actually quite typical in our area.

I saw our former dentist (pre final move) last summer and they wore their usual masks in the exam rooms but not in the reception area. I haven’t been to a dentist in our new area yet to know for sure what’s common here.

Our new PCP still wears a mask, but his nurses often have theirs below their noses (unless he’s in the room.) He’s been annoyed that the other doctors in the same building stopped wearing or requiring/requesting masks as soon as they were no longer required.

H said that masks were required in the hospital here last month. Most masks he saw were not N95 or similar. D and SiL wore cotton masks made in the early weeks of the pandemic, and both wore them as chin straps unless medical personnel were in the room. He didn’t see other N95s like his.

Where I live, dentists and hygienists were putting on masks and face shields before COVID-19, probably because they realized being in close proximity to patients’ open mouths meant that airborne respiratory diseases could easily spread (in either direction) otherwise. Obviously, they continued to do so when COVID-19 happened, though they now keep masks on in reception areas as well and ask patients to wear masks until it is necessary to take them off.

I do notice that, other than health care staff, many people who wear masks (including where there is no requirement, even in some cases outdoors in uncrowded areas) use lesser quality masks, rather than N95 / KN95 / KF94 masks, even though the latter are now readily available and some of them are not highly restrictive on airflow (see Aaron Collins’ mask rating spreadsheet).

2 Likes

if tests expired in July, are they really untrustworthy?