Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

The reality is many sources do not choose to share particular information for various reasons. That choice of what to report or not does not reduce the validity of the information. The video clearly shows the testimony. Not sharing that information doesn’t make it irrelevant. Obviously there are different perspectives in this country but to outright dismiss a video because it’s not on a source that one feels is credible doesn’t make the video false. The testimony happened and the video documented it. That information should be available to the public. It’s not some conspiracy to show it.

1 Like

I was replying to somebody who also is concerned with ITP and the vaccine.

I did not minimize COVID in any way other than to say that I’m not afraid of it at this point in time. Let me explain further - because we had it, we still likely have the antibodies. And before you wish to correct me over that, I also know that we don’t know how long the antibodies will last. Nor do we know how long the vaccine will last. So, the decision is still difficult and we are waiting for more information.

2 Likes

This thread is about vaccine reluctance. I shared an anecdotal story of a neighbor and her vaccine reluctance. It doesn’t need to be considered useful to all, it’s a story to explain why one person is definitely reluctant. Obviously there are tons of anecdotal stories that support getting the vaccines. I’m fully vaccinated so I’m personally not reluctant though I did wait and analyze my options.

3 Likes

@MACmiracle , you have legitimate medical reasons do be reluctant. YOU are the reason the rest of us need to get vaccinated - we need to protect our vulnerable, we need protect those who cannot get vaccinated.

Best of luck to you and your family!

7 Likes

Followed by anecdotes. :grinning:

I have lupus and the vaccine (and allergies) went fine. The advice from rheumatology is to get vaccinated with certain caveats (prednisone should be under 20mg etc.).

4 Likes

Is it clear that covid is safe for people with those conditions?

Posting links to articles and websites with zero credibility doesn’t provide people with any useful information. It’s so easy to take things out of context. I can only hope that people continue to seek information from credible sources and not from sources such as National File.

From Adfontes media, in regard to National File: https://www.adfontesmedia.com/national-file-bias-and-reliability/

In particular, this line stands out: “Ad Fontes Media rates National File in the hyper-partisan right category of bias and as somewhat unreliable in terms of reliability.”

It’s hard to think that someone stumbled on National File by accident. Anyone interested can have a look at the very scary headlines, but I won’t link that site here.

11 Likes

My point is that I can counter any anecdote with one that contradicts it. Thought that would be obvious. :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

I looked up National File as well- Ad Fontes Media is being kind. National File is not known for being factual at all.

With so many websites that act like news sources, people really need to research who these websites are. Many websites are out for clicks, not accuracy.

4 Likes

I followed the link from another source. Can’t remember which one. But even if I did regularly visit the site, that wouldn’t make the video of Sen. Burr asking a question to Fauci, Marks and Walenski - the heads of NIH, FDA and CDC, not a real video. Whether you agree with the analysis or not, the video itself is a primary source.

As I have stated, I did find it interesting that the rate of vaccination wasn’t higher in those agencies. Some people, without arguing the numbers presented in the video, answered with reasons why this might be. Which is great. I like an informational conversation.

No, it is not clear that COVID is safe for people with these autoimmune conditions. Usually any immune challenges to a person with an autoimmune issue is not a good thing. At the same time, we don’t know if the vaccine is a good thing either. So again, having had COVID, introducing the vaccine to a person with these autoimmune issues when it’s likely not needed at this time is a difficult decision that should not be made based on social pressure.

1 Like

There will always be people who shouldn’t get X vaccine for medical reasons. There will always be medical exemptions from vaccines just for this reason. No one should be telling anyone they need to get it in spite of health issues they might have. If in doubt, consult a doctor who knows you.

There will also always be more people who erroneously think vaccines are worse than the disease for them, when they aren’t really in the at risk group.

It’s rarely the people who know what they are doing (doctors in the field) who are needlessly worried, but often those who get their news from non-experts. We all know the that the person in line at the grocery (or posting online - wherever) is a vaccine/disease/medical expert, esp the ones the media or gov’t is trying to suppress.

Nothing new under the sun.

I think we agree on that point. That said, if this is a thread about the statistics on vaccine reluctance, it could be summed up with one chart and nobody would need to discuss a thing. Instead, people here are sharing their concerns for/against the vaccine. These concerns are often individual - they do not apply to everybody.

Am I to assume, because you are a Super Moderator offering negative comments about anecdotal information, that we aren’t to discuss the reasons for our reluctance or non-reluctance on this thread?

That’s mostly true. Others are actively promoting and propagandizing antivax sentiment. There’s a big difference between saying “I’m concerned that the vaccine might harm me” and “here is a link to a noncredible “news” source that stokes antivax paranoia based on fringe theories.”

10 Likes

The tone of some posts gets kind of heated here. I hope we can keep it friendly.

I do think that only peer-reviewed studies or pre-prints from legit research sharing sites belong on here.

There is a slight chance that the vaccine could cause a flare for people with autoimmune disorders, a week or two after the shot. Stoking the immune system might, theoretically do that. I and one of my kids have more than one autoimmune disorder but had the PFIZER vaccine with little trouble. I also have allergies. My kid got dizzy 5 days after and that lasted awhile, and I got very fatigued a week after. Better then COVID in our view.

However the real problem lies in the immune-suppressing medications that may render the vaccine less or even not effective. Ditto chemo. I have friends in both groups who nevertheless got the vaccine, but continue precautions.

4 Likes

I would add that being afraid of vaccination for health reasons is very different from being opposed to vaccination.

8 Likes

The video I referred to did not contain any antivax paranoia or fringe theories and you’ll note that my comments on it did not state anything but that it looks like there is some reluctance in these agencies also. Because it caused such a stink with the moderators though, I will refrain from posting anything other than medical publications in the future.

My comments on the other subject concerning ITP and other immune issues were informational and also included why my family is vaccine reluctant. Again…no fringe theories or antivax paranoia. You may not be aware that ITP is a rare blood platelet condition so the data set on its interaction with the vaccine is too small to reasonably reach a conclusion on safety. We do know that some people with ITP do have difficulties with the vaccine on the short term and whether they will prove to be long term issues is still unknown. The problem is that an ITP reaction can be deadly pretty quickly. Some doctors recommend a wait and see attitude for these people while others recommend that you go ahead. There isn’t a consensus on this particular issue.

4 Likes

Here we go again - your website isn’t credible, anecdotes don’t matter, etc. SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN FOR GOOD! There is nothing to be gained from these posts (which keep happening again and again on this thread.) @CC_Mike

1 Like

Seriously? If you are so threatened by discussion then don’t read the thread. I find the discussion on here helpful and you certainly don’t speak for me in your request.

15 Likes

Um - respectfully ask that we keep the thread going. This is a far more fascinating and helpful conversation than following who got pulled off the waitlist.

15 Likes

My youngest child got vaccinated last Thursday, the first day our state allowed it after FDA and CDC approvals in the preceding days. I’d made the appointment preemptively on Monday after the FDA announcement. We are a vaccine-committed family.

Anyway, I noticed that late Wednesday on Facebook my feed was full of parents from all over the country posting photos of their 12-15 year olds getting vaccinated. And it was really comforting and empowering even though we were already planning to do it. I posted a similar photo when we were done with the appointment, and several friends have messaged me to say that seeing people they respect and trust getting their kids vaccinated helped them overcome their anxieties. I suspect it might help generally if those vaccinated share on social media that they are. Obviously there are people with specific reasons for not being vaccinated, but, for those with general fear, seeing others’ overcome fear could be just the thing that helps.

8 Likes