Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I think the J and J is the vaccine that poses risk to those with ITP.

Again
there isn’t consensus on that. The J&J is for sure out. But the MRna might be out also.

1 Like

Conversation has been civil and as long as that continues the thread will remain open. As for links, we do not have a team of people or an AI (like FB) vetting all the links, so posting any controversial links will be subject to flagging and removal by the community.

For those that would prefer to skip this thread altogether, setting it on “Mute” would be the best option. Let me know if you’d like assistance on that option.

14 Likes

What do the ITP support organizations recommend re: covid vaccination? If the vaccines aren’t an option, seems like those with/at risk for ITP have 3 options: risk getting covid, risk the vaccine, or stay home/be extremely careful about going out into society/work, etc (even riskier now with Max’s is coming off in many places). Tough decision with imperfect information regarding the relative risks of each choice, which is typical of many diseases, treatments, and vaccines.

1 Like

Everybody concerned has had Covid, so the risk of getting it again is reduced. It isn’t clear yet, from the research, what about the vaccines make them riskier for people with ITP. They have seen ITP reactions from the mrna vaccines also - though fewer than the J&J. So, for us, I think waiting is a reasonable strategy.

Personally, I agree that decisions like these should be up to the individual and their doctor.

Thank you for writing my thoughts. Anyone not interested in any thread doesn’t have to read it. I like seeing and knowing what is out there (fully vaccinated myself + family, and glad of it).

I want to know what those around me choosing not to vaccinate base their thoughts on, medical, conspiracy, or any reason. It helps me understand them (and potentially educate when I’m able). Pretending “bad” reasons don’t exist does nothing to help. Pretending one knows their arguments without actually seeing/reading the basis for it doesn’t help either.

6 Likes

My husband’s rheumatologist had the same advice. My husband has psoriatic arthritis and Crohns.

Are there any studies that say who shouldn’t get the Covid vaccine? It seems that there is some disagreement among the experts?

I can’t find anything from the CDC. A guide from the UK states, “The vaccines do not contain living organisms, and so are safe for people with disorders of the immune system. These people may not respond so well to the vaccine. A very small number of people who are at risk of COVID-19 cannot have the vaccine – this includes people who have severe allergies to a component in the vaccine.”

2 Likes

Thanks so much. I’m understandably nervous about my husband’s condition and he contracting Covid. So I try to read what I can.

3 Likes

As a licensed broadcaster I don’t agree with your description of it as a “video.” At 55 seconds it’s a video clip. If it was much shorter it would be a soundbite. I disagree with your interpretation of the content too. None of the speakers said there was “reluctance” at their agencies.
They didn’t even hint at it. Sources absolutely matter. They’re presenting a video clip with leading headlines to sway people who aren’t astute enough to know better. The video they presented doesn’t support their headlines at all:

Faucii said he thought 60% of their employees (not medical professionals, but all employees) had been vaccinated. He wasn’t asked what percentage of employees were eligible or where his data came from. If only 75% are eligible and immunizations are happening both on site and off and not being tracked then the data doesn’t mean much. He didn’t say anything about what his employees think about the vaccine and he wasn’t asked.

Marks guessed 60% too, but said he didn’t know for sure because some employees were vaccinated on site but others weren’t. He also didn’t say what percentage of staff were eligible or what the employees think about the vaccine.

Walensky said she doesn’t know what percent of their employees have received the vaccine because they aren’t keeping track. Businesses aren’t required to collect that information so they aren’t gathering it. She wasn’t asked what her employees think of the vaccine and she wasn’t asked.

I think that the headline and subhead are intentionally misleading. There was a reason they chose to say Fauci and Marks “admit” rather than “report” or “state” and substituted “medical professionals” instead of the shorter (and actually accurate) “employees.” If it wasn’t intentional then they’re just seriously bad at what they do.

19 Likes

Thank you for your post. There’s a Facebook group called “Maine Journal News” that posts anything but news. It’s discouraging that people fall for this stuff (censoring myself).

5 Likes

Ugh, that’s tough. I don’t envy people making tough decisions. The daughter of a close friend is expecting twins in July and told me she decided not to get vaccinated. I don’t agree with her decision, but of course I didn’t say anything. It’s her choice.

1 Like

And I’d bet that Fauci and Marks are just making educated guesses. With the masses of federal employees still working from home, I’m sure that they have little data on which to opine. They could have been much more accurate with their response as in, ‘we have thousands of employees working across multiple states, so our tracking is limited by location and time zones, but one(?) internal survey indicates that 60% of DC/MD/NoVa? employees are now fully vaccinated
OTOH, we believe 80%(?) of all medical professional are vaccinated.’

My husband was vaccinated as soon as he could. Never any hesitation from him as he likes and trusts his rheumatologist. I’m the one who worries.

But these decisions are difficult.

1 Like

My neighbor had Chrons and got the vaccine as soon as he could. His mom is a lung doc and encouraged his prompt vaccination. He said he’s relieved to be fully vaxed and did not complain of any side effects.

My other neighbor with MS and others who are cancer survivors also got their vaxes as soon as they could (as urged by their MDs) and also had no problems.

My good friend has chronic ITP and got the J and J vaccine. She works in a school and got the vaccine the first day she was eligible and before the news about the strokes etc. Due the her condition she monitors her platelet numbers often but after the news she asked for more monitoring. Thankfully nothing happened. Her numbers remained constant the whole time. It is now 2 months. She also has chronic vertigo that comes and goes unexpectedly. One time she got a bad vertigo case a few days after the flue shot but another yeas she did not. It is hard to make conclusion like this. For the J and J vaccine she got nothing. She told me for years she is trying to find the vertigo triggers (keeping a journal etc) but still not sure.

4 Likes

Apparently by about 80.5%, but only 47.1% for age 65 and older, according to https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00662-0/fulltext .

Other studies have found that production of antibodies against the receptor binding domain of the spike protein is quite variable after natural infection, though you could at least theoretically get tested for the level of antibodies you have. Natural infection also tends to cause production of antibodies against the nucleocapsid protein, which do not neutralize the virus (but may increase the risk of antibody dependent enhancement of subsequent infection).

3 Likes

Very helpful article in today’s NYT based on research as to why people are vaccine reluctant, and how to address that, in different states.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that and agree.

1 Like

There was an article in the Maine newspaper on Sunday regarding vaccines, and getting them out. The town of Turner has the lowest %age of vaccinated folks and the highest %age of Covid cases per.

Is this a coincidence?

Folks were interviewed and not a single one supported getting the vaccine.