VCU 2024

They may not cancel it, but I wonder if they’ll consider canceling anything where people are packed into a lecture hall.

@Litva4 I don’t think so yet. they are monitoring it day by day

Does this mean VCU Preview Day on March 21, Saturday, is cancelled? :frowning: See below: https://president.vcu.edu/?fbclid=IwAR3Tvnny-5Wf-_uW9sC3RHlDYaMx-VLuuv9LLV7kOCvQL-xdmH1q-fZX5M0

Seems that way:
“Effective immediately, university events that include more than 100 people are cancelled until April 15. For smaller events, please consider rescheduling or online alternatives when possible, and please take every necessary precaution to prevent the spread of infection.”

The Preview Days on March 21 and April 4 are both officially canceled, per VCU on Twitter.

Is there a date that we can reasonably assume if we haven’t heard anything about merit aid by then they’re not offering any?

@pcarnette never got letter in mail, but it was available online. DD had to set up an email etc and financial aid package is in the self service section online

@yourmama99 Thanks! I see that information now. I guess I was inquiring more about merit scholarships than financial aid.

@yourmama99 Thanks so much! It took about twenty minutes, but from what you said, I went back to look at the original decision letter online (which I had to find from original emailed link) and figured out how to see the financial aid and merit.

For those still waiting on merit/financial aid letter, go to the original decision letter online. Copy the banner id, which starts with a V followed by a bunch of digits. Then go to this page to set up your myeID (assuming you don’t already have one), by choosing “Claim my eID” and follow the instructions. This is where you’ll need that banner ID. When you’re done setting it up, copy your new username and remember the password you just used:
https://myeid.vcu.edu/

Then go to this page to log into your myVCU portal. Since it’s your first time, it may have you do some two step verification process:
https://my.vcu.edu/group/myvcu

Once you’re in, you scroll all the way down to “Resources”, where there will be a link to “eservices/ VCU Self Service”.
Choose that. Then click on the Financial Aid tab. Then Choose Estimated Award Letter (or Financial Aid Status, then the appropriate academic year and then Award Overview tab…either should give you the info you want).

It should include both merit and financial aid.
S20 got 12K merit and 3K Grant (and work-study and loans). We’re OOS, so that offsets the OOS tuition a bit.

Good luck!

@Graphitemovermom Thanks for the breakdown. That should be helpful for a lot of people, as it certainly isn’t easy to navigate their system and the directions are lacking. For the merit you mention, was that found under Award Summary in the Gift Aid section?

@pcarnette Yes, the merit scholarship was listed in the Gift Aid section of the Estimated Award Letter under the Financial Aid tab. It was also listed in the Awards tab in the Financial Aid Status link (also under Financial Aid tab). Basically, anything that had “Awards”, if I click on it, it showed all the $$ he would get, though one page was “prettier” and wordy, and other page was more like a table with a lot of numbers.

@Graphitemovermom THANK YOU for your post!! Really appreciate it!! Why didn’t VCU tell us about this?!! My son has decided to go to VCU but I am not liking their non-communication…am I over-reacting?? Compared to other schools that have accepted my son, VCU is not too great about communicating info to parents…

@TheMonaLisa I do agree that it’s been crickets with VCU, however, in all fairness, they actually did provide a link to the steps to do all this in the original decision letter online. You had to click on “Say Yes” on that decision letter page to get to the instructions to set up (which is what I did to get to those pages with the links in my previous post). So, basically, you had to pretend to accept their offer of admission before they give you the info to get to set up accounts. It’s pretty tricky of them. I would have never thought to click on that link, except that @yourmama99 said something about setting accounts and I realized that was really the only link they gave us, and so I figure it must lead to a page with other info and not actually automatically accept their offer of admission (I mean, realistically, that is probably the case anyway, but I didn’t want to risk it at first.) I remember SVA did something similar with a button that said “Enroll Now”, but really, it just went to a page with more instructions.

FYI: The math placement test, which I found out is mandatory, is finally available to take. It was most recently scheduled to be available 3/21; but it is available now.

FYI - All in-person meetings at VCU have been canceled. We had two (transfer advising for dual enrollment and at the Honors College) scheduled for Thursday. They’ve both been moved to a video call.

On VCU’s Scholarship website, it lists the average and median GPAs criteria for each of their three scholarships (Presidential, Provost, and Dean’s). How can i recalculate my gpa to fit these standards and see if I qualify for a scholarship or not?

For example, is it +1.0 for AP classes and Honors classes?

My daughter and I had a couple of video calls with advisers from VCU today. We were told that starting next week ALL school offices will be closed and employees will be working from home. I assume the numbers to call with questions will be the same.

Thanks for the heads up, @SteveMM . We need to get in touch with financial aid to see if we can negotiate my son’s financial aid letter…

After VA Governor’s announcement yesterday that schools are closed for the remainder of the school year, we were stunned. No prom, no graduation. BUT at the end of the day, we had this to be excited about - my son finally said YES to VCU!! It’s been a rollercoaster last couple of days. Hope you are all well!

p.s. if your DS/DD have committed to VCU, please join our group, VCU Parents - Class of 2024 on FB!

I couldn’t find that group, but I did find one called “VCU Parents”. Do you have a link?