VCU 2024

Congrats to those who heard back about financial aid awards!

@SteveMM We’re in-state too but no email yet about merit/financial aid! When did your daughter apply/got offered admission? Feels like they’re doing the financial aid awards in batches too. The wait is killing us!

The waiting is starting to be a little much. Applied in November for COE and my son has reached out to the admission counselor more than once with no response to voice mail. Students are hearing from COE that applied in Jan and are getting acceptances. Just frustrating, has very strong credentials (4.5 GPA, 1400 SAT) in top 12%.

@TheMonaLisa - My daughter applied just before the deadline of November 15. It was our understanding that you had to do that to be eligible for merit scholarships, but we could have been wrong about that. That was the deadline for Honors College anyhow.

Not to contradict, but the priority deadline for the honors college was Feb. 1st. I’m sure because my dd got her application in just by the deadline and was admitted.

You are correct, @threegirlpileup. My mistake. I just looked it up. November 15 was the deadline for consideration for the Presidential, Provost and Deans’ scholarships and also for guaranteed admission. It’s been a few months, so I forgot how it worked. The scholarship that my daughter got was actually not one of those, so merit scholarships may come for those who applied later.

https://www.vcu.edu/admissions/apply/freshman/

I’m hopeful that merit scholarship contender may be the reason why we haven’t heard anything as of yet and will be notified of acceptance at the same time.

All good! I just didn’t want people to worry they’d missed the deadlines. So many schools, so many different deadlines, who can remember them all?!?

Actually, VCU was the only school my daughter applied to. It’s just been since mid-November and my memory isn’t good enough to remember it all!

@SteveMM wow! My dd was applying only to audition-only BFA programs, so we cast a pretty wide net. So many dates and details to track…

@threegirlpileup - Yeah, VCU is really the only place she wanted to go. She wanted an urban campus with a lot of diversity that had a good (or great) nursing school. The urban and diverse schools here in Virginia are VCU, ODU and maybe GMU (although GMU is more suburban than urban.) Since she wanted to go to nursing school, VCU won out handily because it has a great one. If she hadn’t been accepted to VCU before the first of the year, we all agreed she’d probably apply to Longwood, which has a very good nursing school but wasn’t someplace she really knew much about. Thankfully we didn’t have to deal with all of that.

Hi all, for those trying to get a sense on the timing of these things… my kid just got notification of Virginia Merit Award Scholarship.

@napolia Congrats!! by email or snail mail?

My daughter is going to go ahead and accept her invite today. She’s also been accepted into the Honors College. Does anyone know if we have to accept that at the same time? She’s not 100% sure she wants to deal with the extra work for the Honors College, but we’re trying to gently talk her into it.

Thank you! By email! :smiley:

That’s so weird @napolia. My daughter got her notification via email.

We have an appointment next week with a counselor from the Honors College for a tour, and a separate one on the same day with a transfer advisor to discuss my daughter’s dual enrollment credits. Tish is getting real here.

My DD tried to see if her award was online, but there were issues there so she emailed financial aid and this is the response she got today: We have started mailing out the award letters for 2020-2021 this week. Please allow a few days for it to be received as it will be going through the postal service.

@yourmama99 thanks for the heads up! Just in time for the Preview Day on March 21! Yay!

Do y’all think Preview Day could get canceled due to the Coronavirus?

Yes . Other schools already did.