Vent about UC decisions

I don’t think you understand what I meant, I meant a student is limited to one UC/CSU acceptance, but not one UC/CSU application, in a sense it should be you rank your preferences and they try to give you one, not all. A student will only enroll in one school and as such should not be given multiple public campuses when other qualified students should be having those spots. Yield adjustments do not work considering how I currently don’t know a single student in my HS admitted to a UC, and nearly all of us are statewide top 9%, yet I see many kids admitted to every UC they applied to or multiple. The current system over embellishes the top 0.01% of students while the rest have to play a lottery system.

4 Likes

Years ago, when you applied to the UC’s, they limited the # to 3 I believe.

Based on the # of Freshman applicants and the target # of enrolled Freshman at each campus, there would still be about 50% of the applicants that would not have a chance to be enrolled in any UC assuming a class size of 7,000/campus and the application numbers of 2023 which are 132,226 (unduplicated for CA residents only).

1 Like

Definitely doesn’t go all the way, which is where @ucscuuw multi-pronged ideas should be used to fill the remaining gap, but going from what seems like only 10-20% having a spot to 50% is a sizeable and worthwhile jump

2 Likes

(Deleted, not relevant now that it got moved :wink:)

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

I have moved a few posts from the UC Berkeley discussion thread to avoid diverting the discussion from UC Berkeley.

2 Likes

This is posted from another message board used by DC area people

Some interesting stats about OOS acceptance rates at UCs for kids who take < 5 AP/IB

A number of east coast and DC private schools dropped AP courses two years ago.

Of course we know that the review is holistic at most (all?) UCs but these numbers are hard to ignore.

This is a bit of a vent and a bit of an FYI - apologies if not the right forum to post.
++++

Here’s some real talk for those of you w/ kids waiting on remaining UCs: the lack of what UC considers as “honors” classes at DMV private schools really hurts odds of admission. For OOS, UC only counts AP and IB courses towards “honors” and therefore weighted. They dont count school designated honors/UL and whatever words DC area private schools use these days after having, in some cases, gotten rid of AP designation

Thanks to the great UC admit data portal, we can look at the 2022, admission rate by UC by OOS applicants and by # of honors designated classes taken.

Here’s the data for overall OOS admit rate by UC campus 2022 and next to it data for admit rate w/ <5 honors designated classes taken by applicant

Summary: this is basically an impossible admit for these kids and on par with HYP admit rates for UCB and UCLA

UCB - 8.5% / 2.9%

Davis - 59.3% / 30.5%

Irvine - 36.9% / 20.8%

UCLA - 8.9% / 4.8%

Merced - 74.8% / 27%

Riverside - 84% / 72.3%

UCSD - 31.3% / 5.7%

UCSB - 28.8% / 4.3%

UCSC - 69.3% / 46.8%

Odds at Santa Barbara OOS < 5 AP/IB are worse than general acceptance rate at Yale.

2 Likes

True. I think it gives kids a chance to enjoy their high school years by exploring classes and activities that appeal to them verses trying to play the game of highest stats and what looks best. In the end that helps them and potential schools find a good fit.

1 Like

I understand what you are saying. The decisions being released this year seem so different to when my older two applied in 2019 and 2020.

My third daughter applied this year from the same high school and has told me there are many kids with either only one offer or no offers. A few years back multiple offers were given to the students. Now it feels like only the ultra-high, way over 4.0 gpa kids are getting more than one or two offers.

I’d be interested to see the statistics to see if that is actually correct.

But I heard they look at course rigor in the context of what is available at your particular high school.

Test blind is a whole new world. The application volume has grown ~50% since 2020 and that obviously affects the admit rates dramatically.

1 Like

True. But I’m not sure that completely explains the difference in the # of acceptances for those with lower GPA’s. (feel ridiculous using that term when these kids’ gpas are so high)

There are also institutional and major-specific factors. Cal made CS direct-admit only while cutting enrollment by 80%.

I believe the post was referring to how the UC GPA is calculated. For OOS students, only AP/IB courses receive a UC GPA bump. OOS honors courses may be evaluated for rigor but do not increased weighting in the UC GPA.

1 Like

@Ramlord
That’s a radical departure from the current process and you are asking students to rank preferences without understanding things like financial package, regents/scholarships, primary/alternate major availability, campus/student life (not every applicant can do visits pre-admit) etc. among many other things. This will simply exacerbate the inequity in admissions since low income, first gen, and middle class kids may not have the time or resources to do all this research pre-admission while dealing with admissions and classes.

9% of kids in CA = ~500k high school grads * 9% = 45K students.

Now compare that to a large impacted major (let’s pick Cal EECS as an example). You need roughly 800 admits to populate the class assuming 50% yield and let’s assume 80% of seats go to In-State. Even in that circumstance, you are looking at 640 seats.

The vast majority of the ELC applicant will be rejected. There are simply not enough seats and making radical changes to application process while reducing flexibility and stability is a recipe for furthering this disaster.

I know you are very frustrated with the results so far, I empathize and understand where you are coming from, and I hope Cal gives you a much needed admit. Good luck!

3 Likes

Exactly - this impacts specifically kids from schools without AP courses - the wGPA factor that all of them use as one of the factors in review. Against a backdrop of UCs favoring more in-state applicants anyway, this is an additional difficulty for the wGPA factor for kids from schools not offering APs.

2 Likes

OOS applicants are reviewed in a separate pool unaffected by IS applicants but yes, lack of APs disadvantages OOS kids from other OOS kids who might have had greater access.

2 Likes

Interesting point about OOS, lack of AP/IB and thus very low acceptance rate.
Does the same apply to in-state kids whose HS does not offer AP or IB ? Are these kids also in disadvantage for UC gpa ?

4 Likes

No, the UCs take school context into account. Applicants are not penalized in any way if their school does not offer AP or IB or honors courses. If those students want an extra bump in their application, however, they can take DE classes which will give their UC GPA the same bump that AP classes would.

4 Likes

Although the data shown is pretty compelling, I’m not too sympathetic to the plight of the East coast privates with no AP designations. Perhaps if so many parents want their students OOS at UC, they should lobby their own private schools to bring back the APs. They could also take APs online during the summer with Silicon Valley HS, Apex, UC Scout, etc. Or they could take more DE classes, which seems to be the growing preferred trend anyway. I know one (in state, CA) student who was admitted to UCLA who took 4 online AP classes every summer. These private school students could do the same to “catch up” to the in state CA AP students. More worrisome to me is the growing trend in some CA school districts to get rid of honors and maybe even AP classes.

3 Likes