Vent about UC decisions

Also, California residents receive a weighted bump in their UC GPA for UC approved honors courses. Not all HS honors courses are UC approved.

You can look up your high school here and see which courses receive the honors GPA bump. There will be an orange band with a yellow star next to the courses that do.

1 Like

Few of my sonā€™s friends in UCSD are international students who did not take a single AP class in high school. UCs review applications in the kidā€™s high school context.

1 Like

More likely these kids will just stop applying to the ucs. The capped weighted grading calculation, plus test blind, was the reason my oos student who attends a private school with limited aps decided not to apply.

Apart from that, it was entirely foreseeable that adopting a policy that would greatly increase the number of applications while simultaneously limiting the information provided to admission officers would lead to more arbitrary admission results. One has to assume that is what the trustees wanted.

2 Likes

Students can use SAT if theyā€™re international.

Itā€™s my understanding that OOS applicants are competing with other OOS applicants for the OOS spots allocated to them and not with CA residents, so as long as all OOS applicants are evaluated the same as each other, the way the grades are calculated doesnā€™t matter.

2 Likes

Not if the course rigor is considered in the context of the high school they attended.

OOS applicants from schools with unlimited aps will have an advantage over kids at schools with no or limited aps. Unlike with in state students, UC does not give oos students credit for honors courses.

Not at all.

OOS applicants are reviewed separately from in state. They have their own pool of spots they are all competing for.

Just as with CA applicants, the gpa of an OOS applicant is considered within the context of the high school. The applicants are not penalized for attending a high school that does not offer AP classes or honors classes.

I donā€™t know why you keep saying that, the uc weighted grade calculation definitely favor oos students who take AP classes compared to students who take honors classes. When the schools received 125,000 plus apps, they arenā€™t digging into the nitty gritty of oos high schools.

1 Like

Iā€™ve repeated it because you donā€™t seem to understand what Iā€™m saying. Perhaps Iā€™m not articulating it clearly.

The UCs themselves say that it doesnā€™t matter.

It doesnā€™t matter if the weighting of courses for OOS students is different to in state. They are not competing with in state students.

We have to go by how they say they review the applications and they say they do consider the high school and courses available.

i agree w. you. I suppose no one here has evidence of their views. But very simply put, weighted GPA is factually harmed at OOS schools that lack AP/IB

2 Likes

I am talking solely about comparisons among oos students. I think we all understand instate is a separate pool.

OK, so how then are students disadvantaged if they attend a school that doesnā€™t offer AP classes if the UCā€™s take that fact into consideration when looking at an application? (Which is what they say they do).

I suppose where we must differ is that Iā€™m believing them when they say they take it into consideration and you are not?

1 Like

Because the statistics seem to show they donā€™t and given the volume of applications and the state interest in increasing instate attendance and diversity, that is very believable. So yes, you think they are being truthful and I think they are not.

3 Likes

You are factually wrong. The OOS and IS pools are distinct and any disadvantage for an OOS kid will benefit another OOS kid.

I do think itā€™s possible that admissions teams are more familiar with school profiles in-state than out of state, and it does require a bit more engineering to understand where students who are out of state fit into the academic continuum than it is for students who are in state where the courses, etc. are categorized pretty easily. That said, there are still some schools (Santa Cruz, Irvine, etc. ā€“ less so at UCSD and UCSB than prior to last year) where being OOS is clearly an admissions advantage in that acceptance rates are higher (since yields are so low). Admits to the two top schools are hard regardless of where you are applying from, and I think the rigor points matter a lot for both.

3 Likes

So yes. Itā€™s a simple believe/not believe difference.

I think there would be a lot less guessing and speculation if they were more transparent with the process but that comes with itā€™s own difficulties because as soon as you start telling people how you make decisions in detail, people start trying to manipulate their applications to get the desired outcome.

1 Like

Reminder that CC is not a place for debate. Posters debating OOS/AP are welcome to take it to PM. Thank you.

2 Likes

Some of the schools have regional AO in other states/countries. Iā€™m not sure if all of them do.

https://admissions.ucsc.edu/find-your-admissions-representative

1 Like

Back in the really old days, they allowed students to put a first choice and then a second choice. If the first choice said no, we all knew not to put UCLA or Berkeley as our second choice because the schools would be full already. One application, two choices. Certainly limited where you could apply.

3 Likes