Vent about UC decisions

Actually I m only talking about the oos to oos applicant comparison which I explicitly said.

Your post below indicated the opposite of what you claim now.

Again, no. Because admissions is being directed to focus more on in state applicants and increasing diversity, they have no incentive to learn the ins and out of oos high schools. It isnā€™t a priority.

Your desire to twist my words and tell me I donā€™t mean what I say is quite odd.

1 Like

I think you are less clear about what you intended than the UCs have been about how they evaluate applications. I have no desire to continue this back and forth anymore.

The UCs count DE classes like APs?

Yes, at least if they are UC-transferrable, which most taken through Californian community colleges would be.

I am not sure how it is handled with community college courses taken in other states - they would definitely count for rigor, but not sure if they also get the 1 point bump that CCC classes get.

My child attends a very well-known private school in California that limits the number of honors and AP classes students can take and when they can take them. Since the UCs went test blind, the UC admit rates for the school have dramatically fallen. Of course, it could be a confluence of events causing this: increased app numbers, holistic review, etc. The curriculum and grading is extremly rigorous at this school (I know, Iā€™ve had children at both public and private schools), but many of the parents blame the limit on APs and honors as the main reason why their children do not get into the UCs at the same percentage as the local public high school. I am not saying they are correct, that is just the perception.

2 Likes

My daughter attends a public high school in California that also limits the number of APs a student can take: only about 15 total are offered, students are not allowed to take any APs until junior year, then are generally limited to a max of 3 per year and often they fill up since so few are offered that realistically, most graduates only end up with a handful, if that (my daughter managed to take only 4). We also only have honors classes available for one year of English, and maybe two years of math. No other honors classes are offered.

We send literally dozens of students to UCs every year, including UCB and UCLA. Lack of APs (and for that matter honors classes) does not seem to have hurt our applicants. We always have a fairly strong showing for the UCs even with those limits.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if thatā€™s true. My daughter attends a private school in San Diego, which offers few AP classes (and no IB) but more Honors classes (just as challenging but not geared towards the AP exam). I was concerned about the weighting issue, but in checking her UC application it appears that all but one of the Honors classes was weighted. It may have disadvantaged her slightly (she had a 4.33 weighted, capped GPA vs. the max 4.4). My daughterā€™s school is modeled on east coast schools, so I suspect the grading is similar and UC would/should assign the Honors classes ā€œHLā€ as appropriate.

I think what the trustees seem to want is 40% of seats for in state first-gen (studentsā€™ parents with no college degree), and as many OOS as possible for the extra $$, and what Californians themselves want is more in-state seats in general, whether first gen or not. Iā€™d like a 10% cap on OOS like TX does with UT Austin now. I would like the SAT back too for UC but that doesnā€™t seem to be in the cards.

I respect the value and opportunity of OOS admissions though as all 4 of my teens applied both in state and OOS and even out of country. So far 3 of the 4 elected to study in CA in the end though.

4 Likes

Is that really what theyā€™re aiming for? I knew they wanted to raise the number of 1st gen, but hadnā€™t heard the 40% goal. Is that for all UCs across the board? Or certain campuses?

1 Like

Then those parents should lobby their private school to bring back the AP classes and honors classes. Seems the lack of them would hinder all college admissions, not just UC admissions.

I believe most of the UC campuses have ALREADY met that goal (40% first gen). Most Californians (and most Americans) donā€™t have 4 year BA or BS degrees, after all.

1 Like

I do think that UCs are committed to using the system to foster social mobility within California. And thatā€™s a good goal! We put the dollars toward that too here in CA in terms of funding their education. Also good. So first-generation students do seem to get a boost at many campuses. Iā€™m personally glad to see the end of the SAT for so many reasons, but I get why some like standardized testing. Based on my sonā€™s experience, OOS and intā€™l students bring great different perspectives to campus and add to the overall sense of the school being elite and in-demand, which he likes. I do think the numbers need to be capped, but Iā€™m really in favor of helping CA students see that CSUs offer a really, really great education too ā€“ and not everybody needs to go to a UC! (I know you personally know this already. ;))

4 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting - I hadnā€™t heard that statistic. Would love to see the exact stats/breakdown.

1 Like

I think I found that info on the main UC website itself.

1 Like

Yup, just found it. 39% across campuses. Some other interesting 1st gen stats as well:

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/student-success/firstgen

4 Likes

Agree with everything here.

1 Like

Most of the private school students have test scores, which help boost admission to non-UC schools. Also, itā€™s cost prohibitive for smaller private schools to staff 25-30 different AP classes. With that said, I donā€™t agree that a lack of APs is the reason the private school students arenā€™t getting into the UCs. Itā€™s just the perception out there . . . private-school parents trying to make sense ā€“ like we all are - of a process that has gone topsy-turvy the past 3 years.

1 Like

Interesting statement that they say ā€œto become the first generation in their families to earn a college degreeā€ as first gen.

As the the individual UCā€™s see first gen as not having a US college degree. So if the parents received a college degree outside of the US (UK, Asia, India, Canada, etc) those applicants are considered first gen.

My company hires people from all over the world, that are required to have a college degree, and they consider degrees outside of the US as a college degree. I really find the UC definition perplexing.

5 Likes