Vent about UC decisions

Here’s one FT Physics “lecturer” at SLO, she’s a PhD from Cal:

Here’s another FT Physics “lecturer,” at SLO, he’s a PhD from Cal as well:

I’m not going to check each one, but “lecturer” doesn’t necessarily mean not a PhD, at least in these two examples in this one department at Cal Poly SLO.

1 Like

Your quote from another CC spin off thread: "But as a CA taxpayer I can assure you we love OOS students! OOS students are always full-pay and the $125K or more each one contributes in OOS fees helps keep UC afloat” reminds me of another vent I have about UC admissions. Why on earth is the tuition exactly the same at UC Merced as it is at UCLA/Cal? The campuses should charge tuition based on supply and demand. I’d bet there are many wealthy Californians who would be eager to pay closer to OOS tuition if that meant the OOS spots could be reduced for more in state spots.

I’ve had two kids at Cal States: Chico State, not in demand, charges $8k/yr tuition while Cal Poly SLO, much more in demand, charges $11K. UC should follow suit.

I see.

I don’t know what the reputation of UCs is like outside of CA, but I wonder if the kids in privates that are dropping APs aren’t usually the types to go for public schools.

According to his LinkedIn, he went to community college then Berkeley for undergrad. He did his masters at Michigan and PhD at Berkeley. He does live in Davis so I’ll give that to him.

Private schools will listen to the preferences of the parents much more than public schools will. If a private high school in CA decides to drop AP classes, you’d think the parents of UC-bound students would push back, threaten to remove their kids, etc and the private schools would back off.

1 Like

I think most parents in my son’s private want private universities. UCs tend to be backups. I am a bit surprised that OOS kids out of private schools care to attend UCs.

Our CA public hasn’t entirely eliminated APs but there is a very limited number available and restrictions on how many a student is allowed to take (including no APs before junior year), so most students graduate with only a few APs (my daughter managed to take a total of 4 - 2 junior year, 2 senior year). Our school has excellent results at the UCs, especially UC Berkeley (curious about data on the percentage of admits from our school this year, because almost everyone my daughter knows from her school who applied to UCB got in; she only knows one person who was declined this year; the results for Davis seem equally impressive, and a good showing of other UC campuses as well, but UCB and UCD are the most applied to at our school). So I do fully believe that the UCs take school context into consideration and, if a school doesn’t offer many or any APs, the students of that school will not be penalized, so maybe no real need to push back?

​"Set by the Board of Trustees, system wide tuition is charged at the same rate per academic year at each CSU campus." What you are seeing is a difference in campus fees.

Edit because we are on slow mode: The UCs also have the same tuition but different campus fees. For example, UCI has their campus fees broken down by category. UCSB lists campus fees as $1881 and UCD lists campus fees as $2170.

2 Likes

Depending on topic and rigor, the UCs weigh many advanced and honors courses the same as they do AP courses. So when a private school drops or limits AP courses and replaces them with equally (or more) rigorous honors courses, it doesn’t negatively impact UC admissions.

2 Likes

Yes my DD is a senior in a private Christian HS in CA. Looking at the data, I found no one from her school has even APPLIED to UC Santa Barbara for years and years (unless it was <5 students possibly, masked for privacy). The reasoning? “It’s an immoral party school.” (Perhaps it is.)
My DD is not only the first from her school to apply in many years, but the first to be accepted in a long time too, and now has SIR’d there. She’s a little worried/embarrassed about wearing her UCSB merch on Decision Day (May 4th at her school) due to the whole “party school” thing. Most students at her school apply to, and choose, mostly private colleges, whether Christian or secular. UCSB is avoided. I was relieved UC looked past that and offered my DD a spot at UCSB anyway. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for setting me straight. Good to know. :slight_smile: Well–does UC charge different fees per campus too, so that the more desirable campuses like Cal and UCLA end up being 32% more expensive than UCM? Hopefully they do. . .they should! We need some actual market forces badly.

It looks like a couple of students have reported getting ELC offers from Riverside.

2 Likes

Except the actual data on UC’s own website clearly shows the chances of admission are much greater if the applicant had 10+ AP/DE/IB classes. (Maybe “honors” too.) So I know it’s said everything is “in the context of the high school,” but it’s clear from UC’s own data that having fewer than 10 APs (especially if having fewer than 5) really hurts an applicant’s chances.
Seems risky to apply with few or no APs. Students should pick some APs up online during the summers through UC Scout or Apex or something. (Because even when high schools decree: “no APs before junior year,” there’s NOTHING to stop a student from taking APs through those private offerings.)

2 Likes

Good minor clarification. Interesting that you spent the time to look that bio info up
but haven’t attempted to address the actual argument he was making about the low priority of undergraduate education at UCs, nor the dozens of comments by current and former UC Davis students on that thread supporting that, the overwhelming consensus of which can be summarized as “duh!”

It should be noted that UC Davis has particularly bad metrics for class sizes compared to other top UCs and national R1 publics, so this may account for some the magnitude and energy of those responses.

According to US News data, 32.8% of UCD’s classes have more than 50 students, compared to 19.6% for Cal, 22.8% for UCLA, 19.6% for UCSB, 20.6% for UCI, 23.8% for UCSD. However, those other UC figures don’t look great in comparison to other US News top-ranked publics: Michigan at 18.5%, Virginia at 16%, Florida at 9.8%, and UNC at 12.7%. Student-faculty ratio data tells the same story.

UCSC is 25.2%, Riverside at 33.9%, and Merced at 28%, So Davis is 2nd worst in the UC system for share of large classes over 50 students.

1 Like

Correct, In the CSU classification system, “lecturer” refers solely to “non-tenured/tenure-track faculty” status. It is not related to whether the person has a PhD or not. See, for example: Temporary Faculty Lecturer Information | Sacramento State

The California State University (CSU) system classifies all of the following as “Lecturers”: part-time faculty, temporary faculty, lecturers, and adjunct faculty*. Sacramento State typically refers to all of the above as “part-time faculty” or “temp faculty” regardless of the time base the faculty member works. Any of the above terms are used to describe non-tenured/tenure-track faculty.

*At Sacramento State, the term “adjunct faculty” applies to volunteer faculty.

Read again this sentence in my previous post: "At Cal Poly and the other CSU schools the instructors generally indeed have a PhD. "

Instructor, lecturer, teacher, prof: don’t you understand these are all often used as synonyms for the person at the front of the class? The point I was making in my post to which you replied was clearly about whether they were full-time ladder faculty, not what level of education they had attained.

My experience is very limited but, as I said, our high school has a very strong showing with the UCs every year - far more students get in than don’t, and most students have far fewer than 10 APs (the technical max per student at our school is 6 - 3 junior year, 3 senior year; this varies a bit, but still the average student does not have 10+ APs). We also only offer ONE honors class. All others classes are standard college-prep classes - no special designation. I don’t know any students who take APs online or through other companies or schools - I’m sure it happens, but it is rare enough that I don’t know of any students who have done that. And none of this seems to be held against our students whatsoever. I obviously can’t speak for other schools, but I doubt our school is so special? In terms of the data showing 10+ APs: sure, but I think that’s for students whose school OFFER 20+ or whatever APs without restrictions placed on students for taking them. That’s the whole point of context - if they’re offered, then yes, you hurt yourself if you don’t take them, as many as possible. But if they are NOT offer or are restricted, then you are not penalized. My sample size is exactly one school, but over multiple years of observing admissions outcomes, and reviewing the UC data by source school (which shows the acceptance rate for our school, which is consistently high for the UCs, especially UCB and UCD, which may demonstrate regional preference).

1 Like

Absolutely this. Schools can only take so many from one high school or from certain urban/suburban demographically advantaged areas. In fact this exact thing was named in last week’s final installment of the Your College Bound Kid podcast look at “the 7 groups of applicants who are most likely to be disappointed with their decisions” (love that podcast—it’s the best!).

Minute 52: Spotify

Basically if you are applying in any way, shape or form in which you are over represented in the applicant pool, your chances of getting in are lower!

3 Likes

Read my post again. At Cal Poly you get a professor, not a TA. That was my point.

No, I don’t understand that, because I’m not in education other than paying for my kid’s education.

And the point I was making was that there aren’t many, if any, TA’s at Cal Poly. I don’t care if they call themselves teacher, professor, lecturer or “on the ladder.”

1 Like

I have found UCLA to be one of the less expensive UCs. It’s definitely going to cost us more for my D23 to go to UCSD than for her brother (S21) to go to UCLA even given the fact that tuition is obviously a little higher than it would have been 2 years ago. UCLA has cheap room and meal plans among the many options, but I’m sure it’s also a difference in fees.

1 Like