Vent about UC decisions

Not my kid. It’s @warriormom75 kid. Just trying to lend some support by saying her vent is fully justified rather than dismiss it because my kid got in …

I think the point I’m making that people are missing is that the perceived ‘prestige’ of a college isn’t that important in the overall scheme of things. It may help slightly to get you an interview when you first graduate, but after that, you’re on your own. Why would anyone want to work for a company that would judge a graduate based solely on that? If my resume gets passed over for no other reason than where I studied, I personally am not interested in working for them anyway.

I agree - far too much emphasis is placed on a college’s overall ranking. I’m more interested in what the individual college has to offer in terms of whatever it is my kid wants to study and the opportunities that may be available to them. If the #1 college doesn’t haven’t the right degree and can’t offer the right environment, but the #20 college can offer those things, why would I choose #1 just because of it’s rankings? Makes no practical sense.

4 Likes

What is his top preference at this time?

Do we know what this child’s gpa is? How competitive his high school is? His course rigor, his ec’s? His PIQ’s?

Could it be that UCR was a good offer for him?

He was given an offer of admission to a UC in an extremely competitive major. There are many in-state kids that have so far been rejected or waitlisted everywhere.

I understand the parent might be disappointed, but we don’t know how realistic the expectations of that family are.

With the way the admissions decisions are rolling out, it seems these days it’s far more likely that you only get accepted to one or two instead of all of them like you would see a few years before.

I’m only seeing ultra high performing (in all areas) kids getting multiple offers.

2 Likes

Guess you missed this part

" He has good OOS options- UT Austin, UIUC,UNC chapel HIll , Univ Wisconsin Madison all admitted him for CS or CE". Those are all top 25 CS schools."

I’m asking the question in the context of the UC system.

In addition, one argument that is overused to justify a rejection is that “the kid wasn’t a good fit for the school”.

I refuse to believe only a few thousand are deemed as good “fits” for a school, and all the 100000+ others who didn’t make it weren’t good “fits”. This is just absurd. There must be many many more good fits who end up getting rejected due to other institutional preferences.

10 Likes

I guess a kid that makes it to that list of colleges definitely deserves other UCs a well.

1 Like

No, they probably didn’t. Your answer may well have been “the sky is blue” for all the relevance it had UT Austin, UIUC, UNC chapel HIll, UW-Madison are all excellent schools. The parent and child should be thrilled to have these options. But UCs evaluate applicants independently of other universities.

3 Likes

The question was about GPA, ECs and PIQs… A child that makes it to that list For CS definitely has outstanding GPA and other ECs.

2 Likes

Exactly. Look at this ranking of CS schools. Those OOS schools are ALL top 25 whilst only UCSD and UCB are top 25.

4 Likes

A student that makes it to that list has excellent options. This idea of focusing on where they didn’t get in and why is just of no use.

2 Likes

That was a tad presumptuous. Maybe they want to go to a UC for whatever reason.

1 Like

@CuriousType is right. This is a discussion forum to vent. Let the parent (@warriormom75 ) vent for heaven’s sake , in this case it’s well deserved. And enough with the justifying UCs are different posts. Some of us can say that because our kids got in, but I’d be venting if my kid didn’t as well.

10 Likes

Delete. I misread your reply. My mistake.

Does anybody know what exactly happened to the UC systems to cause such as influx of applications? I remember when Cal/UCLA were closer to 30k couple of decades ago. How things have changed.

1 Like

No it isn’t of no use and your comment is condescending. For good often personal reasons, kids/parents want to stay close to each other. Also, this is a thread to vent, so let the person vent!

8 Likes

Curious about this too.

1 Like

I often think when a student has surprising results, positive or negative, with the UCs, it’s the PIQs and A & A sections that could be telling. Let’s be real, the UC app is kind of a pain in the butt. If a student doesn’t tell their story well through the essay questions or activities, and another student does tell their story well and uses every opportunity to distinguish themselves, this could swing results. There are many reasons PIQs could be a miss, too flowery, too dry, too religious, too smug, too humble, not hitting on institutional goals keywords… it’s really hard to compare one student to another.

8 Likes

The point people are trying to make is relevant, though. The admissions process for the UC system is different whether we like it/want to admit it or not.

Judging by the difficulty kids are having to get offers, people are just trying to make the parent and family feel better by acknowledging that the process is competitive and at least they got an offer compared to some of the other qualified kids that haven’t gotten anything.

1 Like