Very Tough Situation - Homeschooled, International, no leads on what to do

I apologize, but I don’t really know if I can trust you with that information. Germany did not take in a million refugees all at once; I believe right now their refugee count is 1.3 million, but it’s’ always been at 1-1.5 million for the past few years, and their regular intake of immigrants is actually decreasing I heard, so your argument doesn’t make sense to be frank.

Education in Germany is very cheap as long as I learn German, so I probably won’t even need a scholarship in the first place.

I’d appreciate if you could source some of the info about the statistics. But all that aside, I do agree that Russia in general is a very great option, and that last bit you said does catch my eye. I’m gonna do more research myself on it, so don’t worry, I believe I will find the best option while considering everything. Thanks a bunch!

I really don’t want to hold off college for any longer than I should. Right now I’ve been in a comfort zone for wayy too long, and the only way for me to make progress that’s at least 20 times more potent if I go outside of it, which would be college in my case. I really should just work as hard as possible to make it to a decent college abroad for the next semester. Plus my confidence will shatter if I apply any later than next year, and I’ll feel terrible about it. I’ll for sure consider working as an interpreter for the next few months, just for the experience and connections, and if it’s decent enough it could save me some money for future living costs, since I don’t have to pay any right now.

Beyond the scope of this thread. Let’s focus on you, not German immigration

1 Like

It is great you are absorbing new information and adjusting your plans accordingly.

If Germany is your goal, how far are you into researching the requirements?

I’m not an expert, but there are posters on here very familiar if you want to bounce ideas off others who have gone through the process before.

Off the top of my head (and not verified!!), items I hope you are already familiar with:

• Will your high school certificate be recognized or will you need to attend one year of prep, Studienkolleg?
  • Do you know what aptitude tests and language tests will be required?
  • Will you meet the visa requirement of proof of financial means? I believe 10k-12kEU per year and may need to be deposited in a German escrow account. This is to prove you can support your living expenses and health insurance.

These are a few things I’ve seen discussed; I’m sure there are many more considerations. Good luck!

1 Like

I actually researched about Germany before Canada, like over a year ago. A levels are accepted in almost all German universities, as long as the subjects you pick fall into their rules, and I will have to take a German language test. I guess the only issue is the proof of financial means, but I’ll work that out with my parents.

I’ll definitely go and check for any other posts regarding international application to Germany, thx!

Paging @Tigerle , @MYOS1634 , @collegemom3717 for input on attending German uni as an international (Syria).

2 Likes

Why aren’t schools from other countries under consideration too, such as UK, Netherlands, etc?

Netherlands could/should be; UK won’t be cheap enough for an international student.

Yield to @MYOS1634 on german unis- will just say that it is very much a sink-or-swim environment, no hand-holding and most courses are very defined. The course may be taught in English, but (from a small sample size), you are expected to figure out how things work on your own, and the english language skills in the admin are … variable.

1 Like

UK is just as expensive as Canada, both living and tuition costs, so Canada wins because of cultural and geographical preference. Netherlands and other countries in Europe are also great, but I prefer Germany as I do have some distant family there and its top universities are relatively cheap, and I’ve invested the most time researching it, and my parents also prefer it over other European countries. A good way to put it is that they “were” under consideration, but were eliminated due to the preference of a few countries.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve heard that a lot about how ruthless and solo students in Germany are, and how most courses are taught, and I’m totally fine with working under that kind of pressure and style, in fact I excel at it. I’m definitely not going to Germany without having at least a B1 proficiency in German, not gonna create a grave for myself that soon XD.

I second this suggestion!!

@ScrollG The “talent” you need to “manifest” is the ability to succeed in an academic setting, which is what college is, actually. Colleges need to make sure the students they accept can do the work, think critically, articulate thoughts orally and in writing.

Small liberal arts colleges like the ones I suggested will bend over backwards to help non-traditional students acclimate to the demands of an academic environment, but you’ll need to meet them halfway with some evidence of your intellectual capabilities, e.g. transcripts, standardized test scores, recommendations, essays.

EducationUSA isn’t going to get you accepted to an American college but they may help you craft your application to explain your academic experience to date in a way that admissions committees can relate to.

I don’t know how old you are or how long it’s been since you dropped out of high school, or what high school or junior college options are available to you where you live. However, it seems to me that getting back in school on any level would be the best way to establish credentials and develop mentor relationships.

About to hop on train, will reply later after reading whole thread,
but
Germany does not recognize homeschooling so international A-level results would have to be awarded before application.
Results/achievement based scholarships - look into UToronto, McGill, UBC (scholarships for internationals, esp. those // your situation).

1 Like

Yeah I already got the results. I cannot use predicted grades so I had to wait, still am, but yeah.

I gave up on Canada for the time being, I definitely am not competitive enough right now for a full scholarship, which I absolutely need to prove for the study permit visa. Heck I won’t be able to support myself if I can’t get some sort of job, which isn’t allowed for me obviously. I’m sure I already know most of the stuff taught in the first year of the average Canadian university, so I’ll have plenty of free time to work or figure out something, but unfortunately that all goes down the bin cuz of the student permit proofs and restrictions for work outside of coop, which starts after the first/second year so it’s not an option.

Exactly, I don’t have much time to enroll in a new academic setting that is not university. I’d rather go to any okay-ish university right now and if my talent is truly as great as I think it is, I might be recommended for bigger universities.

Also I’m definitely not using Edu-USA to help me enroll in an American college. Just gonna try and extract as much information as I can about them in the prospects you mentioned.

I’m 18 right now and it has been 2 years since I dropped out of high school, I really don’t think going back to high school/junior college is a good decision, I have to keep moving forward right now.

What does this mean?

You would need to apply to bigger universities….you wouldn’t “get recommended” for them. In this country and I’m guessing most others, if you want to transfer colleges, you need to apply anew to the new college.

And keep this in mind…financial aid for transfer students sometimes is much less than for incoming freshmen.

1 Like

Understand that high school isn’t a good option at this point. If you really can’t present transcripts or academic recommendations then you might consider taking the SAT as that would at least provide the admissions committee with a basis of comparison.

I would suggest that that you do some research on schools that have programs geared toward non-traditional students. Commonly non-traditional refers to students with families to support, but it’s also used to refer to students whose education has been interrupted for other reasons such as poverty, conflict, immigration, military service, prison etc.

Edited to delete SATIIs. Thanks for the update

These no longer exist.

2 Likes

OP has the results of their A level tests, an SAT test probably won’t add much to an application (IMO of course). SAT subject tests have been discontinued worldwide, the last international ones were held over a year ago.

3 Likes

18 is definitely not too old to work as an interpreter now to get contacts and save money for college a year or two away. It’s super common for many of our kids who are limited by finances to work first - and many others just take a gap year in order to explore life prior to going to college.

If you can work for a Canadian company you might be able to get residency there. Again, I’m brainstorming, so nothing specific, but it would be an avenue I’d investigate since you like Canada (as do I - I grew up 6 blocks and a river away from the border).

1 Like