Villanova University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Agreed. A few of those in this thread, actually. I wonder if the various Catholic universities have better insight into where they sit in high stat applicant minds than others do. There’s a clear prestige pecking order among them - Notre Dame, Georgetown, BC, Villanova, and so on (gets a little hazy after Fordham or Santa Clara or so, I guess), and my sense is that there’s a very high likelihood that a kid who applies to one of those also applies to several others. So it’s a somewhat contained universe.

If nothing else, Villanova has enough data on their yield of applicants from Catholic high school X, that when they see Student A from that school, who’s got grades and test scores that make them look more like the kids who end up at Georgetown, for instance, they can crosscheck their historical yield of kids at around that level and assess whether or not they’ve actually got a good chance of an acceptance leading to matriculation. Same thing when Fairfield gets an application from someone who looks to them more like a Villanova type.

1 Like

Georgetown #1, followed by Notre Dame :wink:

1 Like

DD Deferred
Nursing
3.89 UW/4.26 W
34 ACT
8 APs/7 honors
School does not rank (small private school)

A lot of the choice is very Major dependent as well.
Engineering would be ND/Villanova
Business Gtown, ND and Villanova are all top 10 undergrad programs
Nursing BC, Nova and Georgetown
Poly Sci: Gtwon
Science and Research ND and Gtown

2 Likes

Our daughter recently accepted EA into V business school. My comments are mainly focused on V’s business school reputation.

Alumni networks at ND and G-Town are incredibly tight and Loyal and among the best in the nation, according to everything I’ve read, and I’ve done tons of research starting with my son six years ago, and more recently with our daughter (probably 4,000+ hours of research I’m sad to say; I’ve been semi- retired); amazing helping hands for internships and new college grads. Those two networks are truly Fiercely loyal. Villanova reputedly has a strong network, but my research hasn’t been able to validate that with strong, objective evidence. For example, ND and G-Town place extremely well into elite business careers (the elite business world is Very prestige conscious!) whereas Villanova is relatively weak and even hard to find in many sources that show how well their placement is in certain “lofty” business world sectors.

Previous poster is correct that ND, G-Town and Villanova are generally highly ranked undergrad business schools, depending on which ranking one looks at, since there are several (avoid the Niche and similar commercial rankings, they’re hogwash). And especially avoid that Bloomberg #1 ranking for Villanova from 5-6 years ago—that’s total insanity that had anyone and everyone in the know scratching their heads. No, NOT #1 by a country mile (and we love Villanova!). That said, if one looks at the reputable business school rankings, Villanova consistently has one of the 3-4 highest GPA’s of schools on the lists, along with competitive standardized test scores. Impressive!

But, getting back to my previous point, there is a clear and curious bifurcation in their high business school ranking (on SOME lists) and their relative absence or weak showing on the lists showing schools that place very well in elite spheres of the business world. This has been a bit confounding, since common conjecture has it (and V strongly infers and mildly states) that Villanova places extremely well in these sectors, but the objective truth is skimpy. (The “detailed” placement data buried in V’s website hardly supports strong placement in these sectors.)

If you want to become a doctor or lawyer, you can go to an average undergraduate college and achieve your goal. It’s Much harder for a student who wishes to enter the higher levels of the business world. There, the prestige of the school matters—a lot.

3 Likes

Just spitballing, but could part of this be that most of the extremely prestigious universities don’t have undergraduate business schools/majors? Stanford, Duke, most of the Ivies, Northwestern, etc. don’t issue bachelor degrees in business administration, etc. But most of them nonetheless have pipelines into the world of Wall Street, Silicon Valley, Big Consulting or wherever due to a combo of (a) hiring world confidence that an Econ major from Dartmouth is just as well-prepared for an analyst job as someone from Ross or Mendoza, much less someone from a less selective undergrad school’s business program, and (b) those worlds being full of MBA’s from Sloane, HBS, and Kellogg who also came out of those schools without undergraduate business degrees.

I think your last paragraph is accurate, but misses a step - there’s a route to the higher levels of the business world through an MBA; it’s just that most people don’t go straight there from undergrad the way they do law or med school. If you crush the GMAT and have some relevant work experience, the doors to graduate business programs are just as open to you regardless of undergrad institution as the doors to law schools are for those with high LSAT scores.

You’re absolutely correct. Never mentioned MBA route because, as I said at the beginning, my comment was mainly about V’s business school. Although I did make some generalizations later on, I never mentioned other routes to the higher echelon business world (so as to stay on topic), like Tier 1 schools (Ivy’s and Ivy equivalents) and even Tier 2 schools like BC, ND, G-Town, et al. Our son attended a top ten business school, graduated in 2021, and is in IB in Chicago. He said (and I have consistently read over the years) that you can achieve the higher business world level careers from an average (non-target) school, however it requires a lot more effort, and is a lot harder with networking, cold-calling, etc. Some of his colleagues are Tier 1 school grads, some are Tier 2 grads and a smaller number are Tier 3 & 4 school grads. He said that a few of those from average schools had “hooks” by knowing someone in the industry, but some did not. His VP majored in Chinese Literature at Georgetown, and five years later entered University of Chicago Business School and earned her MBA in finance. And, as I’m sure you know, you don’t have to major in business or even a STEM field to gain entrance to these career paths. Liberal arts grads can make it, albeit in smaller numbers. Look at the CEO of GS, he graduated from Hamilton College, a liberal arts school. Think about it, if you’re holding an executive meeting in the conference or amphitheater room of your company, do you want all business majors? No, you want different perspectives from employees with different backgrounds, majors, specialties; this makes for better decisions and corporate proposals!

Finally, I’ll add something I tried to add in my first comment but couldn’t because I waited too long to edit. Even though I couldn’t find much objective evidence for Villanova (business school or any school there) placing “Very Well” in the higher echelon business world, I did find a decent amount of such evidence. I would categorize it as “good to very good,” but not excellent, and certainly not outstanding, like Ross, UVA, Cornell, et al. So, V certainly is at least a semi-target. Curiously, most of the evidence I found for V’s placement was from the 2015 era, give or take a few years. In that time frame they placed moderately well. All that said, I strongly suspect that V places better than they appear to; not everything can be quantified accurately by rankings and lists.

As an old Catholic school boy from Brooklyn, who attended Catholic grammar school, high school and even college (St. Francis) for one semester—(I had to transfer out after one semester because it was a tiny school, claustrophobic)—and then CUNY, I tried to get my son to apply to a Catholic college or two, and Colgate (I still believe a liberal arts education is best), but he wanted no part of it. Only business school for him, he said. Our daughter is more open-minded. My wife, an educator, and I love that Catholic schools focus on the Whole Person, and the fact that the better ones tend to have students from very good homes. As an old-fashioned, later in life father, I especially value that for our daughter!

Finally, a default path is Econ major if you can’t make it into business school. You’ll have an excellent chance of success.

There is no one path to success!

2 Likes

Son applied ED 2. Hope to hear 2/15!! Good luck to all ! Its a crazy ride & I will be happy when it’s all over !!

4 Likes

Does Villanova accept letters of continued interest for those that got deferred? Unlike Notre Dame they didnt mention it in the deferral letter.

Wondering if anyone who was RD or deferred switched to ED2 and how common that is with Villanova admissions?

1 Like

My S23 was deferred EA and switched his app to ED2. I have no idea how many kids actually switch… it would be interesting to know.

I would call the admissions office directly. I called last week with a question… the phone was answered promptly (not a phone tree), by adult office staff (not a student), and the woman was very helpful. On her suggestion, without me asking, she pulled up my son’s account to double check that his midterm grades had been received and that they had everything they needed, since I was on the phone.

1 Like

Some students received Presidential Scholarship information today. I can’t get into my daughter’s but after the deferral I don’t believe there is much chance she will remain in consideration.

When my daughter was accepted a few years ago into honors, she didn’t get a dime in merit.

1 Like

That is what I have heard- very little offered in terms of merit.

1 Like

top 25% probably. Word is they are heavy accepting top ten.

1 Like

deleted

What other schools is your daughter considering?

My S23 has focused his search on direct admit (business), mid size private schools. V is at the top of his list because of the placement in NYC, as well as many other “fit” reasons.

I agree the info is hard to find online. We contacted the business school directly. They were more than happy to meet with us and share their results.

Our son was just accepted into the Honors College, which I thought was exciting. Any feedback on it? I did not even know that he applied:) TIA!

2 Likes

Congratulations to him! I think all applicants are automatically considered. How were you notified (email or regular mail)?

2 Likes