Villanova University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Agreed. Not getting in a blessing in disguise. Estimated Total Cost of Attendance for a 4-year degree is $310,820 and by the time you finance it with student loans it becomes $500k - $750k with current interest rates, depending on how long your loan is, which comes down to what you can afford in monthly payments.

Never imagined I would be looking at half a million plus for a degree but here we are. So yeah, maybe dodged a bullet by not getting accepted.

2 Likes

My youngest (twins) graduated HS in 2021, no college tours for them!

3 Likes

Apparently not one student was accepted to Nova from a local Catholic high school which has traditionally sent a number of students there each year. I know a high stats kid who was deferred for business. Fingers crossed for him.

1 Like

Has anyone heard any stats on %accepted, %deferred and %denied? In this EA round.

2 Likes

Adding to the data: D was accepted EA. 34 ACT; hard to translate GPA (0-100 scale) but around 4.0 UW and 4.3 W, she’s somewhere in the top 6-7% but not pushing for valedictorian honors; competitive Midwestern Catholic high school that’s traditionally something of a feeder to 'Nova; impressive EC resume with a lot of leadership; 4-year not terribly serious athlete and senior captain; one or two AP’s shy of the max her school allows, and all 4’s and 5’s on AP exams.

Villanova had started as a backup for our D but based on '22 results we and our college counselor had started to consider it more of a target. Her HS traditionally has anywhere from a 30-50% acceptance rate there, but last year there was a precipitous decline that sort of scared us all. Hard to know if that’s longterm trend, a blip in the data, a one-off year where some lower stats kids applied from her school, etc. D was still amongst almost entirely green checks on the Naviance scatterplot (except for one rejection that had, eerily, exactly the same GPA and ACT score), but the general trend is clear: Villanova’s gone from a 43% acceptance rate in 2016 to well below 30% now.

Until March results come in, Villanova is D’s top choice of the places she’s gotten in so far, and somewhere she’d be thrilled to attend.

4 Likes

Deferred
OOS (Pacific Northwest)
4.0 unweighted
34 ACT
3 sport varsity athlete with recognitions
Editor In Chief of paper (First 2 year EIC ever at her school)
Strong school based ECs
Weaker community service but some good work with local youth
Public (i.e. not Catholic) HS

2 Likes

I sense that they prefer students from catholic schools. Deferred is not a no, and if not she will end up where she is meant to be.

When will ED2 decisions be released?

2 Likes

Feb15th. It will be interesting to see what the acceptances look like in that round.

1 Like

so i had rly good midterm grades and submitted. will this help?

1 Like

Impressive! My son has similar stats…and perfect math sat score…catholic school and even still an altar server and is also deferred.

2 Likes

The deferral has had a strange and a little bit unexpected result. Where I thought this news might make our daughter MORE interested in Villanova (she is a really competitive person and put more hours into her essays for Villanova than another of her other schools) she has almost totally shifted away from the school. In her mind, for reasons we don’t quite understand, she has moved on. Maybe that is a healthy way to look at this crazy process.

6 Likes

Understandable. Kids are getting burnt out as this process drags on. Hopefully she has other great acceptances in her back pocket? I wonder if anyone knows the odds of getting in RD at Villanova after a deferral?

4 Likes

Daughter volunteered at a Convent for 4 years!
Broke high school Swim records
1520 SAT
13AP’s
4.0 unweighted
Ranked 1 in her class
100’s of hours of service work
Did a list of the school a few months ago - showed a ton of interest.
Essays were well thought out and rewritten many times
Deferred
Could not believe it.
Maybe if she was a Nun she would have got in - lol.

5 Likes

Someone said they may want people to move to ED2 or are hoping for additional demonstrated interest. It sounds like yield protection to me.

Honestly, I’m not 100% sure if Nova has ED2. This was a comment made about a couple different colleges.

But they make a point of saying they do not consider demonstrated interest, could have been yield protection though.

5 Likes

what major did she apply to?

1 Like

Happy for everyone who was accepted. D was denied for nursing. Her stats were low for Villanova (did not report test scores and APs not great) but she has a 98 average and tons of volunteer work and a CNA course.

She was deferred at another school and accepted at 2 other private Catholic universities with merit money – and is waiting for 2 more notifications – so she will have choices. As late as it is, we are even going to visit a school on Friday.

We have a close family friend, an Augustinian, on faculty at Villanova who years ago did his seminary internship at my family’s soup kitchen and house of hospitality. He thinks our kid is the kind of student they want, but he’s not in admissions! Sadly his letter of recommendation (he watched D grow up over the years) was not accepted for consideration. I called Admissions and they explained they were cutting back on the number of LORs they would take, given the enormous quantity of applications they receive.

I had hoped she would do ED 2 at Villanova but she chose not to. In fact the deadline is Jan. 30 and notification of EA was Jan. 20 so it seemed like if she had been deferred she could have gone for ED2.

Question: Is the ED2 deadline Jan. 31st?

1 Like

Do you think there is any chance they will post decisions prior to that date? I thought Feb 15 was the latest it would be announced?

1 Like