Virginia Tech Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2022 Admission

D22 - Accepted to Engineering (Civil). OOS, 1490, 4.0uw, 5.11w. 12 APs (completed 6, taking 6 this year – three 5s, two 4s and a 3). Ranked 20 out of 765. Offered merit scholarships (VT Scholars and VT Scholarship) totaling at $11K/yr. We are elated!

Question — how can you see if you’re accepted to honors? I don’t see that in her acceptance letter, so maybe she didn’t get into honors? Weird that she’d get so much merit but no honors?

4 Likes

Same here for my son, its been a waitlisted kind of week. Luckily he has some other options but kinda brutal.

2 Likes

I know. Pathetic. Expecting kids to wait until July and miss other opportunities or lose deposits made to other schools just to attend theirs. They really think they’re greater than they really are. My son was also waitlisted, but no big loss to him. He has other choices that are better.

2 Likes

45,000 applications for 6,834 seats!!! Congrats and Good Luck to all!!

1 Like

My son was accepted to College of Engineering (Aerospace). So excited after being deferred from Georgia Tech recently.

OOS
4.0 Unweighted
Team Captain Robotics
Track and Cross Country with state wins
EC- probably and average amount, mainly service organizations
Essays- I thought they were pretty good, but who knows

Contrats to everyone accepted. To those waitlisted and denied- keep your chin up! There is the perfect place still out there.

6 Likes

Waitlisted until May 1st
So I guess it is CU Boulder Aerospace engineering for us. We are not waiting until May.

There are some kids and parents that are willing to do it. In our circle was a girl waitlisted by VTech and already committed to JMU, when she came off the waitlist. Since her HS friends were already committed to VTech, she switched and her parents were willing to eat the loss of the downpayment with JMU.

Many won’t but there will be always enough to make it work for VTech.

Grant and Scholarship section - VT Scholars Renewable NR - when I clicked on it a screen opens with the criteria. Part of the criteria said financial need each year based on FAFSA and the award said up to 3 years. Just recommending u click on it to see the details. We have two kids in college this year only so I expect remaining years we won’t qualify.

Same! My daughter was so happy to see the Hokie confetti!

2 Likes

I’m confused, is that the applicants and acceptances for Early Action? The blurb at the top of this thread says, " Last year, Virginia Tech admitted 14,801 of the 19,227 applicants who applied Early Action." Why is the number of applicants and acceptances so different from last year?

It was on my DD22 acceptance letter.

Yes, ours too, I just didn’t understand it.

I was thinking it was for RD, ED and EA put together for the class of 2026.

1 Like

My son got waitlisted at VT for engineering too. Got into UMD with merit, UT Austin and Purdue engineering. Admission process is indeed random!

6 Likes

Makes sense, I just didn’t realize they accepted that many more kids than there are slots for. Thanks.

I think only about 30% of admitted students actually enroll.

2 Likes

Interesting. UT Austin (engineering) CAPped my son but VT (engineering) accepted him.

2 Likes

If you look at last year’s strands they started pulling off the waiting list earlier than almost anyone. March, I believe. Hopefully July would be the last possible timeline.

1 Like

So does that mean VTs acceptance rate this year is ~13%?

I don’t have an answer for that! The numbers that were given may or may not correlate to a 13% acceptance rate