Virginia Tech Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2022 Admission

In state NoVA
4.4 gpa, 1510 SAT
10 APs, Varsity sport, good ECs
Business/Finance
Waitlisted

1 Like

Recently attended an admissions session and the counselor was very direct and clear about how they review applications.

They look at VT short answer questions, grades and are you taking the hardest classes (especially in your area of interest) offered at your school, extra curricular with a big focus on service and leadership and test scores if you submit. If you don’t submit test scores they will focus more on the other sections so if you have good test scores submit to balance the application pieces.

They do not look at recommendations, senior year grades (but do look at what you are taking), common app essay, or any supplemental materials not requested. Grades are also self-reported but checked with a final transcript.

Choice of major is very important. VT allots only a certain number of seats per major (for example -not just engineering but mechanical engineering) and changing majors into an engineering field, architecture (almost impossible) and Pamplin (certain ones) is very difficult. Changing within the other colleges is not as hard. There is an undecided type major which has a very low acceptance rate but if you can narrow it down to something like College of Science undecided that can help.

If you apply to the Core of Cadets they are given special consideration but if you don’t complete the 6 week program they will look at your application again and may pull your admission offer.

There’s probably more but that’s what I can remember.

8 Likes

I agree (and kind of strange that people try to merit shop at VT, which notoriously doesn’t give a lot, and are then shocked that their high-stat kid didn’t get any). There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to VT’s merit awards, which I think is great because it means a kid at any stat level has a chance at getting one (including mine).

The amount of merit in general has decreased dramatically between the time my older daughter applied (2013) and when my younger daughter applied (2021) - almost the same list of schools (mostly big publics, one private). Younger daughter had higher stats and received much less merit (as well as a deferral and denial from 2 colleges that older daughter easily got into, WITH merit!) I think this trend will continue and future applicants will benefit most from a list of schools that their families can afford, whether or not they get merit. Merit hunting is always a gamble - sometimes it pays off but when it doesn’t, you just gotta move on.

My perception of VT is that they really try to get a well-rounded incoming class, and that means kids with a variety of stats. If you’re trying for engineering or computer science, there are no longer any safety schools (including VT). Additionally, VT is pretty darn serious about its UT Prosim motto, and finding future students who are committed to carrying on that tradition, so if your kid didn’t tie that into any of the short answer questions, then they may have missed an opportunity. Sometimes it’s about more than gpa’s & test scores.

5 Likes

Not even that. My son’s stats are good enough to be admitted but not as good as many others (1410 sat) and he is also waitlisted.

I truly believe the UT Prosim Motto-centered essays were instrumental in my daughter’s acceptance. The other colleges she was accepted to showed her “Love” but Virginia Tech made her feel like “Family!”

3 Likes

UT Prosim is what sets VT apart from other colleges - they really live the motto!

2 Likes

Does anyone know if there is an opportunity to receive more scholarship then the merit scholarship given in the initial admission decision?

Hello there, just wondering on the “Financial Aid” portion, under “College Financing Plan” what do you guys see on your cost of attendance page? Mine has all 0s, truly confused, does not make sense.

I would say yes but don’t count on it. My niece is a sophomore engineering major and she received a small scholarship ($1500?) during the summer before her freshman year. She also got another one this past summer. And probably not helpful as it was over 30 years ago, but I got my tuition paid for (by Exxon but it was through the school) a month into the semester.

100% agree. A story to support, seen year after year on these forums, including in recent days:

One-time, drive by post on this forum laments their high stats student being waitlisted - deems it sort of outrageous. What’s missing? Student applied to different school a month or more before VT’s ED deadline and was accepted. Did not apply ED to VT. Why? Maybe VT not 1st choice, or shopping for merit, or may have considered VT a sure-thing based on stats and although was able to apply to other school with same app options (Common, Coalition) over a month before VT ED deadline, chose to apply EA instead. Admissions is experienced enough to think those 3 potential reasons could mean that applicant may likely not accept an offer. So they waitlist the applicant to see just how serious they may be about attending VT. Parent rants, although actions could have been taken to better the chance of the applicant being accepted at VT - if it really was their first choice. Story as old as time on these forums.

3 Likes

I am sure this is somewhere in the thread, but a question about visits. Is Open House and Hokie Focus essentially the same tour? We have a conflict for Hokie Focus, but could make Open House. Thanks and sorry if redundant.

My son applied to sports media and was waitlisted. As was everyone else who applied to Tech from his school. I don’t think he realized how small the major was at the time of the application. It honestly seems easier to get into out of state schools.
3.93 GPA. No AP courses as they are not offered. I’m a Hokie, and I’m very disappointed in the college acceptance process so far. Congratulations to all that got in. If you have 1/2 as much fun as I did, you’ll be in heaven.

Would welcome any information on sports media. Wonder if VT should consider a bridge program similar to NC state???

So then why have anything but ED? If schools are only concerned about who will accept their offer, then only have an ED period and get rid of EA and RD.

Reason #1 Because low-income students can’t attend college without getting substantial financial aid, they can’t commit to enrolling in an institution by applying on an early-decision basis. They need to compare aid offers once they hear from all the colleges and universities that accept them. This fact alone essentially precludes those with financial need from applying early.

In contrast, wealthy students – whose parents can pay their full college costs without financial aid – have no problem applying for and accepting early-decision admissions.

2 Likes

Maybe @Norm91 was being a little sarcastic?
ED is definitely not for everyone.

1 Like

@sevmom Yeah, I was being a little sarcastic, as @ShenVal18 seemed to imply if you really wanted to attend VT you should have applied ED.

@Whit26 Yes, I understand that for sure, and even middle-class students may need to see what financial aid they get as well.

3 Likes

Actually- I think ED benefits both low income and those who can full pay without second thought. Parents can run the COA and see what aid they should be awarded- and decide if they can pay that. If the aid does not come in as shown in the calculator, they can back out. And for families that can full pay, it is as easy as knowing that is THE school you want (which isn’t always clear- it might not the the top school for a kid, but the kid might not get into their top choice.) I really think where ED seems “unfair” is for the middle kids—the families that know they are not getting aid and they are looking for merit. Kids who have to go to the lowest price school they can get based on merit really aren’t in a position to ED—and that can really seem unfair.

6 Likes

Great points! The choice of selection definitely depends on different factors.

It seems that one is not allowed to lament their high stat student being waitlisted?

I would add though that several of D’s friends that applied ED were deferred, and then waitlisted, so I truly don’t know what else these students (who were previously in the stats range for VT prior to COVID and test optional times) could have done to indicate interest. So honestly, I think it’s ok for these students and families to be a little frustrated, and it seems like we should be compassionate.

7 Likes

Agree @gcmom1 . Compassion never hurts. I can empathize , maybe because I went through this years ago. Son applied ED, was deferred, then waitlisted , Above 75th percentile with his scores , excellent EC’s. His guidance counselor was surprised at the result. I was very disappointed when he did not get in ED and vented my frustration mostly to husband and guidance counselor after the deferral. I see nothing wrong with venting a little here as long as it does not go on too long. Eventually, we all have to move on for the sake of our kids. And there are plenty of other great schools out there!

And son did get off the wait-list in early June that year. And ended up graduating Magna Cum Laude in engineering. VT almost lost him to GMU or JMU. Admissions results are never perfect at colleges. This can be a stressful time, waiting for results, reacting to disappointing results, deciding which college to attend. All the best to all!

9 Likes