Virginia Tech Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

My experience similar to yours. In my days kids generally stayed on campus and vied through the lottery for the better dorms. A handful of kids might have moved off - those were the party houses that by mid-semester the kids got kicked out.

My recent tours of Auburn, U-Tenn, Virginia Tech… almost all 3 were “yeah, kids generally live on campus and then move to apartments just on the outskirt of campus”. Interesting since the dorms today are SO MUCH BETTER than in our days.

It certainly wouldn’t prevent me from sending my DS to any of the schools but good to know now that in October might be getting a call asking for help on this front.

1 Like

Should EA applicants provide first trimester or semester grade updates vis the app portal or update the SRAR? Is it too late to do that for EA?

I think VT does not look at 1st semester grades during EA unless you’re deferred to RD round.

1 Like

Yes. Just received email today from VT FA informing that KHEAA will be in contact by email to complete verification process.

Do parents get that email or our kids? Does everyone get that email or just accepted ED applicants for now?

2 Likes

At this point I’m not 100% sure when the email is suppose to go out. I thought it was sent to those selected for verification AFTER accepted for admission. However, my son applied EA and has not received a decision yet. So that throws that theory out!

Sorry forgot to answer…email went to son.

1 Like

I have an older child at VT and the VT parents page discussed that KHEAA email at length when it first came out. It is a part of the FAFSA verification process and 30% of filers are selected to be verified:

https://finaid.vt.edu/undergraduate/how-to-apply/verification.html?fbclid=IwAR2l_cMFxdOa_jCN8LE0YYvS7b72GTyGovBfsrxXvMcBJI8ZYw7jGYJtX0o

3 Likes

Got it. Good to know not everyone gets it and that we didn’t miss anything. Thanks!

2 Likes

@MEMa23 when my son got this notification from PSU he got his acceptance letter a few days later. Do you think that notification is a sign of an admission? Would they be doing the verification process on a student they didn’t plan to admit? One can hope!

1 Like

Not going to be this week -

Juan Espinoza

@JuanMoreHokie

·

34m

Early Action (EA) update: We’re still working hard on reviewing the 31,515 early action apps. Every application is carefully read and reviewed. Once we wrap up, I will make an announcement on when they will be posted, but it’s not going to be this week.

2 Likes

Darn! That’s too bad! Hopefully next week!!?!!?!!!

1 Like

Where is this coming from? I don’t see they posted anything on IG (I don’t follow them anywhere else). At the admissions session this last Saturday they implied they were done with EA review and starting this past Monday they were moving on to RD.

https://twitter.com/JuanMoreHokie

4 Likes

DARN! So eager to hear! I guess maybe next week now!

Thanks. I’m surprised by it - seemed like it was a done deal. Another week it is!

1 Like

Man, VT is slow, and they don’t even have the Common App essays to read!

1 Like

Mr Espinoza’a tweet says they are reviewing 31,515 applications for EA, but we also know from their own reporting at the end of January that they received over 47,000 applications overall. Makes me wonder if they are comparing some of the EA apps to highly qualified RD applicants too before they send out EA decisions? Just speculating. Another week’s wait it is.

2 Likes

Maybe the difference between Early Decision in January and Early Action in Feburary?

Part of the issue is their EA deadline is 12/1, a month later than most.

3 Likes