Virginia Tech Only Looks at ACT English & Math?

<p>I just submitted my application to Virginia Tech. On the Application tracker, it only shows that my ACT Math & English scores were received (it also shows what i got for those two scores, but not the other scores). It does not say anything about reading/science/writing/composite. So, if i only submit ACT scores, does Virginia Tech only look at the Math and English scores? Also, do they convert these two scores to SAT scores?</p>

<p>**On a completely unrelated note, will it be easier to get into competitive programs if I'm from out of state (Wisconsin).</p>

<p>Andrew1992: I don’t know the answer to your question, but my daughter’s application has been entered the same way: SAT Math and SAT Critical Reading and ACT Math and ACT English (no ACT Composite, Science, or Reading score recorded on the application). I emailed the admissions office to ask what they used, but no response yet. Please let me know if you get an answer to this question. Thanks!</p>

<p>My understanding is that they convert your ACT scores to SAT equivalents, so anything the SAT doesn’t have gets dropped. I do think they consider writing though, or at least use it for english placement or something.</p>

<p>It won’t necessarily be easier but it won’t hurt you. If there are hardly any applicants from Wisconsin it could help a little.</p>

<p>Chey: Thanks for the info!</p>

<p>WARNING: Pet peeve coming: </p>

<p>not involved in Va Tech but how do they rationalize that the ACT english is equivalent to the SAT CR???
not the first time I’ve heard of this and I still don’t get it…</p>

<p>I think I’ll start a thread…</p>

<p>In my early decision application, I sent over my ACT scores in which the science was utterly bombed. When I talked with the assistant director of admissions when he visited my high school, he informed me that they slightly take look into it as a factor. In my case, he said he’d double check my science course grades to make sure it was just a bad test day vs. me sucking at science.</p>

<p>I’n my opinion, I feel that it’s about time colleges started realizing that ACT reading and Science don’t test anything but your speed. I wouldn’t be surprized if they got rid of the science section all together within the next year or two.</p>

<p>Converting the English to SAT critical reading isn’t an irrational decision.</p>

<p>About - what 45%? - of the English section of the ACT is rhetorical questions testing your ability to understand sections of the passage, the passage as a whole, and reading inbetween the lines. These are all traits of the SAT critical reading section.</p>

<p>how do i convert act english to SAT CR? all the offical collegeboard and ACT tables only have composites to SAT and english/writting to sat writting.</p>

<p>i cant find a offical source converting act english and math to sat cr and m? anyone here know the link to where i can find this info? or does anyone have a estimate of the concordance?</p>