Virginia Tech Post-Offer Decision Making and if Accept What Next? 2020

I’m creating this thread for questions regarding decision making on Acceptance and if Accept Virginia Tech offer next step help.

Should you attend Virginia Tech?

Hokie Focus Accepted Student Weekend information April 4 or 5 (link below for further info and registration
https://vt.edu/admissions/undergraduate/visit/hokie-focus.html

For those that can’t Attend Hokie Focus they have special dates setup as well-

High School Spring Break
If you can’t make it to Hokie Focus, there is still another opportunity to explore Virginia Tech. Visit us during one of the days of High School Spring Break, April 6th - 10th and April 13th - 17th. You can participate in an Admissions information session and campus tour, designed specifically for students offered admission. The information session includes a panel of current students who can answer questions about student life, dining, the campus experience, and what it means to be a Hokie. You also have the opportunity to learn about your major at the Academic Information Fair.

Choose from one of the dates listed below (Accepted students should have received email with links to register for any of these dates below):

High School Spring Break on April 6, 2020

High School Spring Break on April 7, 2020

High School Spring Break on April 8, 2020

High School Spring Break on April 9, 2020

High School Spring Break on April 10, 2020

High School Spring Break on April 13, 2020

High School Spring Break on April 14, 2020

High School Spring Break on April 15, 2020 - 11:30 am

High School Spring Break on April 15, 2020 - 12:30 pm

High School Spring Break on April 16, 2020 - 11:30 am

High School Spring Break on April 16, 2020 - 12:30 pm

High School Spring Break on April 17, 2020 - 11:30 am

High School Spring Break on April 17, 2020 - 12:30 pm

Once you have decided to accept your Virginia Tech offer here is timeframe for activities you need to do - upon acceptance the most important is setup your VT ID and then access StarRez to sign your housing contract (which then gets you in line to chose your dorm - - which will happen in July). The checklist below says you don’t need to worry with signing housing contract until July - do not wait … do your housing contract as soon as you can.

https://students.vt.edu/nowwhat/need_to_knows/before_you_get_here.html

Thanks for continuing to start and contribute to useful threads, cbl1. One question I had. My kid had got their VT ID, accessed StarRez and done the housing–basically as much as possibly can at this point. One question I had. Since she signed up, she now has an @vt.edu email address. I’m assuming at some point she’ll stop getting emails from the account she used to apply, and start getting them at the @vt.edu address, correct? Do you know when that is, and how she would access that email?

Welcome to the vt forum Napolia. Yes your correct. Your not going to see many emails go to their old email address (maybe some reminders on orientation if that). All VT communication will start coming to the vt.edu email.

The vt.edu utilizes googles email service. So you can go to google.com and at top right login to email.

Or directly mail.google.com

Nice and easy. Thanks so much, cbl1!

I’m still deciding between VT and another school, what’s the recommended time frame in which I make a decision before housing etc. starts getting harder to find?

@Snrstudent20 Last year many of the preferred residence halls were booked by June. Booked as in roommate groups (2 people max) had already selected, leaving some singles but not in the most popular res halls.

Don’t quote me on this, but I think room selection comes online a week or so after the matriculation deadline. To date, every ED, some LLC*, and each EA student who has matriculated is already in front of you. The longer you wait, the wider that gap becomes.

*The LLC’s that have housing assignments associated with them have rooms blocked ahead of time.

My son last year accepted right after early action decision came out. Some of the popular dorms with AC and Pritchard were full. The traditional dorms were fairly empty like Eggleston, vawter, slusher, Campbell.

I would say accepting after RD is released and your most likely going to have to take what you can get. Only way to improve that is join an LLC or have a roommate that accepted early (so you group in with their selection date).

…or join the Corps of Cadets

@cbl1 So does this mean if someone gets pulled off the wait list, they would get a horrible choice? I bet most who come off waitlist have to take what they can get in either room or roommate

Well I guess that depends on what someone calls a horrible choice. My son chose Eggleston because of its terrific location. Others would say Eggleston is old and not want it. I think Slusher was one of the last to have rooms and I have always heard people talk negatively about Slusher. But my son has friends there and they all seem to like it.

So I wouldn’t say they get horrible choices - what they get is not many choices. It does make roommate situation harder I will have to say that is true (if you have a friend you had wanted to room with).

@cbl1 What about the LLC’s for waitlist kids? Do you think they’ll have rooms in the Galileo LLC for waitlist kids?

There will be openings since VT has multiple acceptance cycles for LLCs

Cycle #3: March 2 – March 31
Application Deadline: March 31
Application Notification: April 1 (or earlier depending on application submission date)
Offer Expiration: April 15

Cycle #4: April 2 – April 30
Application Deadline: April 30
Application Notification: May 1 (or earlier depending on application submission date)
Offer Expiration: May 15

Cycle #5: May 2 – May 30
Application Deadline: May 30
Application Notification: June 1 (or earlier depending on application submission date)
Offer Expiration: June 15

Cycle #6: June 2 – June 30
Application Deadline: June 30
Application Notification: July 1 (or earlier depending on application submission date)
Offer Expiration: July 1

Hopefully they reserve enough rooms in each cycle.

@HokieCrazy All Galileo members live in the same residence hall. They block # of rooms based on the LLC’s given limit of members. LLC membership may top out before later application cycles would come online.

Yep - it was my residence hall 30 years ago. :slight_smile: I suppose if my son gets yanked from the waitlist, I can just call the housing/LLC folk and see if there are rooms available. Can’t hurt, right?

@HokieCrazy You would then likely be the first person in recent history to special request Lee Hall :smiley:

Deleted post

Welcome to the VT forum Colin2

First generation helps but those are pretty low GPA and SAT numbers. They are weighing essays pretty heavy this year so there is hope. If not for the first generation I would say looking real bad.

Another thing I saw was that it is brand new major and only has 1 acceptance to last year directly. So they may be pushing to get the major filled and would then improve your odds as well.

Best of luck!