Virginia Tech vs Clemson vs University of South Carolina

My daughter was in Douthit (she joined CUBS llc for business so got to pick early), I’ve had 5 in college and this was definitely the nicest dorm I’ve ever seen. However, most move off campus after freshman year (and most of the off campus properties are ridiculously nice, my daughter enjoys her free spray tans and coffee bar, but has yet to try goat yoga, enjoys the free kayaks and paddle boards).

2 Likes

Thank you for all the replies. Decision time is a week away and it looks like we may end up at community college or just working. Oh well
Maybe someday all colleges will be affordable again.

This is so hard and it should not be this way.

Getting some of the gen ed requirements and prerequisites out of the way at a community college or local state 4 year with discounts can definitely help keep the costs down for a 4 year degree.

In SC, a lot of students take summer classes at their local community colleges to keep costs down or to get their GPAs up to keep their state scholarships.

Helping them identify where they may be able to transfer to for the final two years can help with course selection, which also saves money so they are not taking classes they do not need or will not transfer.

Taking a gap year to work and while looking at options with more merit may be a great plan, too. She has some great acceptances that may equate to more merit in other places.

There are also transfer options from UNCW to UNC -CH if she can open herself up to that idea.

Thank you for the reply.
Really trying to convince kid to do UNCW and transfer after one year.
Visited UoSC a second time just for the heck of it and glad we did. Completely eliminated. Saw the underbelly (pre-game parties, different groups etc) and kid did not like how it really was/could be. Could see how it’s a good fit for some kids just not my kid. Opinion way way down after dorm tours and campus dining hall meal.
VT back up top - if I find a job - otherwise still the same.

1 Like

Or UNCW and LOVE IT.

It’s a fine school.

And frankly, while I know you think UNCCH is better (or your kid does), for a psych major - it’s not going to matter.

They’re either going to grad school or getting a job for people with “any major”, etc. and where they go simply won’t matter (IMHO).

I hate the idea of going, thinking you’ll transfer.

UNCW is a fine institution in its own right.

Thank you tsbna44
I’m trying
At this point I’m back to simply trying to get kid excited about college since they are now depressed/shut down. Probably from overthinking, over talking, over analyzing etc. Saw a slight glimmer when looking at VT videos so kid not completely shut down.
Trying to show kid how dorms at UNCW were even nicer and that major of neuro may change so may not need to/want to transfer.

VT has the highest rated food in America. So there’s that. And it’s gorgeous IMHO.

but mom/dad shouldn’t have to get a job to attend.

Although Dunkin is paying $16 an hour. Nothing wrong with frying up some donuts twice a week to help the cause :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.