Virginia Tech - Welcoming atmosphere for Out of Staters?

My DD just got accepted OOS at Virginia Tech. It was her number one choice!! I keep hearing there are two cultures at the school … one called Nova and then everyone else. I don’t know what this means - a regional thing? But will an OOS student feel welcomed and able to break into this “Nova” group? Thanks for any insight.

“Northern Virginia,” I think.

Your D will defintely feel welcome. My S is an OOS sophomore living off campus with 2 Nova roommates. There just happens to be a large group from Nova. I wouldn’t worry about it.

If your D is friendly and willing to make friends, she will feel welcome. My S is from NY and has made many VA friends as well as OOS friends. There will be cliques and cultures at any school. I think the Virginia culture thing is more strongly felt by Virginians. OOS kids just make friends with everyone. Fortunately, with 24,000 students, your D will find her crew and if history serves, they’ll be Hokies for life.

Congratulations. Virginia Tech is an amazing school. You will find students from all over the place at VT. Instate students are just fortunate to have such a great state school. With such a large population and so many activities and clubs to join there will be so many opportunities to meet new people. It is a very friendly campus where the students are happy and they have great food. The students have wonderful school spirit.

No one is going to treat anyone differently for being out of state.