VT honors or UNC

<p>Daughter was accepted into Virginia Tech honors housing/program. She plans to major in biology and english (would like to get her PHD eventually) Her first choice had been UNC but she was waitlisted and dissappointed (OSS). She received notification that she was accepted off the waitlist last Friday..two days after the deposit was sent to VT. Scholarship $ are pretty similar. Looking for thoughts and opinions on strength of the programs, she's still leaning toward VT, especially after the Honors weekend. Study abroad programs are also very important. She'll do well regardless, just looking for some honest feedback this late in the process.</p>

<p>I personally chose Tech Honors housing over UNC after getting into UNC OOS. Study abroad is slightly better at UNC, but Tech will provide so many more opportunities for experiential scholarships (the honors developmental). English is AWESOME at VT (resident English phenom in Nikki Giovanni), but UNC’s biomed department is really impressive. Biology is just as good at Tech though. All in all, can’t go wrong either way as you said, but the community aspect of the honors housing is what sold me. Being the top 200 at a university of 20000 isn’t too bad either in terms of opportunities. Any other questions about either? I went to Explore Carolina after I was admitted, and I got a really good picture of Carolina (not as good a picture as a student but still).</p>

<p>Tglower: Don’t want to hijack your thread, but I have a quick question for you. Is your daughter OOS for Virginia Tech? I notice that you said that she received scholarship $$$ that was similiar at both VT and UNC. I’ve been told that VT offers virtually no scholarship $$$ for OOS students. My daughter has very high stats and is interested in VT, but we simply can’t afford it without merit aid (we won’t be eligible for need-based aid). Do you mind me asking what your daughter’s stats were (GPA, SAT) and how much of a scholarship she was awarded? I truly have been led to believe that OOSer’s get nothing, despite high stats… Thanks in advance!</p>