Honors Weekend

<p>Any tips for the "top 35" honors weekend? Does anyone know how much money is possible from those scholarships? How many of the 35 do they offer housing?</p>

<p>My D attended…gee I guess it was three years ago now…and things may have changed but here are the answers based on her experience:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Tips? Take advantage of this opportunity to get questions answered and, if you are still deciding, learn about things that may be important factors for you.</p></li>
<li><p>We don’t know for sure, but it appeared that everyone invited to the weekend was offered housing. My sense is that they intend to offer housing to all the invitees, but perhaps they might not for the rare person that might not “fit in.” If you decide you are interested, a quick thank you note (email or snail mail) right after returning home would be nice…the notifications came relatively quickly after the weekend.</p></li>
<li><p>The money was about $3000 per year, about half the cost of housing at the time.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>My D was very impressed by the program for many reasons, but did choose to attend a smaller school, even though she was also offered a small (2K, I think) national merit scholarship. But her best friend entered the program and is now a junior there. From her experience, I’d say there are great opportunities in the honors housing program, but keep in mind they are serious about the min GPA requirement, and you would run across some … interesting personality types.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I’m totally in love with Tech’s honors program but I still can’t tell if going to UNC as just one of the crowd would be worth it. Right now I think I’m leaning just a bit towards Tech. We’ll see how it all turns out. Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>Indecisivealways: Did you already get an invitation for this scholarship weekend? My D was told that the decision would be before 3/15 and then it was changed to 3/29. She has not heard anything yet though!</p>

<p>I did already get an invitation, as well as my itinerary for the weekend. I also received my honors acceptance letter. The weekend itself is the 26th and 27th.</p>