Waitlist Discussion - Fall 2019 Virginia Tech

Actually scratch that. Looks like zero chance any more acceptances. My son received email this morning they are expecting large class and are waiving first year on campus requirement. Sounds like they have a housing crunch again.

Incoming 2017 had around 6,800 students and there were reports of triples and some lounges being converted to rooms (4 students to a room). 2018 was approx. 6,200 and it didn’t sound like there were any triples or conversions. Their target for 2019 was 6,600, but by the sound of it they may have exceeded that (and possibly exceeded 6,800 from 2017).

There’s construction underway for a new residence hall near the bookstore I believe. But it would have to move at breakneck speed to be done by August.

This is just personal opinion, but even if it meant sharing a triple I think I would want my student to live on campus just because that experience is worth it in their first year. But, if you are going t consider off campus you should start looking right now. Several complexes filled up as early as November.

I agree they should live on campus. I would assume the people last to sign housing contract could be inconvenienced more.

Didn’t they have a new dorm open late for move in 2017 that then helped alleviate a few months in.

Parents on facebook all freaked out. Worry about everything including the dining halls will be to crowded. I guess there kids will starve.

I was wondering the same thing re: when housing contracts were signed and impact on how students are placed. The new hall that was opened in 2017 was for the cadets, which would have opened up some space in the other res halls. But I do know there were still triples and lounge conversions in some of the res halls.

We were probably one of the first early action students to sign housing contract. We did everything immediately (accepted and signed up for PID immediately and then kept checking for starrez to come active) so only the early decision group should be ahead of my son. I’m assuming that early decision is 35%-40% incoming freshman. So we should be easily in the first 50%.

@cbl1 Pretty sure ED students make up 20% of the incoming class

Unless I’m incorrect they said 20% offers from ED, 60% offers from EA, and 20% offers RD.

So lets say 12,000 given offers - that’s 2,400 ED, 7,200 EA, and 2,400 RD.

Assuming ED is 90% acceptance (since binding) and the other 2 are 40% acceptance.

That would be a freshman class of 2,160 ED (36%), 2,880 EA (48%), and 960 RD (16%).