Wall Damage

<p>FYI…Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonderfully to clean the showers, especially when used with Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner. It’s pretty disgusting what comes off of them. :)</p>

<p>Okay this is what we do to avoid any charges.
1.) When you move in take photos of walls, doors, ceilings, light fixtures, windows, blinds, screens, appliances inside and out, carpeting, mirrors, smoke detectors, cabinets inside and outside, the showerhead, shower stall, faucets, etc. It is digital, so snap away…
2.) document anything that is even remotely minor on the move in sheet with the RA
3.) When you move out, lower the bed, vacuum the carpets, wipe the furniture down with murphys, clean the windows and sills with windex, clean the mirrors with windex, clean the microwave and refrigerator, take out all trash and recycleables, make sure all items that were broken during the year were reported and note that on the check out list. Make sure the cabinets and closets are empty, the shower curtain is hung, the toilet and shower stall is clean. We also wash bathroom and kitchen floor. For us, it is a matter of respect to gently use the suite, keep it clean, and return it in good order. Always try to think of the next person to use it. It could be your student, if they chose the same room.</p>

<p>I believe that a hole in the wall or something minor will probably be overlooked if the rest is clean, fresh and neat.</p>

<p>This is the way that we have done it and when check out is done, I am confidentstill that there will be no additional charges. The time spent is worth the few hundred dollar charges in possible damage to me.</p>

<p>^^That’s been our plan and our experience as well. Those planning to live off campus might find that not all properties have the same policy as each other though. Some off campus properties have a set charge which is deducted from the security deposit to make minor repairs such as filling nail holes regardless of the condition in which it is left. Be sure to read those leases carefully so it is clear.</p>

<p>The reason the Command Strips remain on the list of things to bring is because some buildings have block walls and they do allow Command Strips because nails cannot be used. Housing addressed this last year on another thread for clarity. Although we have used these successfully for years, we have also had a few experiences where they caused damage due to humidity even though they were installed and removed correctly. Using them isn’t really complicated, but repairing the damage they can leave behind on the drywall can be a pain.</p>

<p>For the shower, I tried using the scrubbing bubbles and soap scum, but in the end, Dawn Dish Detergent did the job. Glad I took the time, as I can imagine the bill, since we got a bill for 12.50 for dirty refrigerator. Don’t know why, but not going to fight it. Could have been a lot worse, considering there were four boys living in that room.</p>

<p>Son is living in the dorm over the summer, and the light in his bathroom has still not been fixed, after a work order a week ago, and the toilet in that bathroom keeps running. He’s the only one there for interim, but this weekend, the remaining three will move in, so hopefully, the bathroom he’ll share with his summer roommate will be fixed.</p>

<p>Before moving son in, I always do a disinfectant clean of the bathroom, toilet and shower, the mattress, the chest of drawers, the cabinets, and the refrigerator, anything that my son’s stuff will touch. Though on moveout, the kids clean up, and supposedly, housing after them, but I always like to disinfect before putting away clothes, linens, and putting food in the fridge and cabinets,</p>

<p>Does anyone know if we haven’t gotten a bill by now, are we in the clear? We should have been good but the posts above got me a bit concerned.</p>

<p>Also, did anyone answer the question of whether this billed amount goes on your student account, as well as a paper copy?</p>

<p>Just checked and our cleaning fee is listed under Spring 2013 charges. Since we have a summer housing charge, it’s carried over into our balance for that. If you don’t have a summer charge, don’t know how you would handle it. You would probably go to the Pay your student bill section, and take care of it there.</p>

<p>Just checked, and S has a credit currently (for the dining dollars or bama cash, which I need to get on to refunding…), and there are no cleaning fees. Because he is going back into the same room, maybe they don’t care…or maybe they haven’t gotten to ‘cleaning’ his dorm yet…or maybe there just weren’t any assess-able fees. We’ll just wait and see.</p>

<p>My D doesn’t have any cleaning fees on her account either. She is moving to a different dorm next term and is not on campus for the summer. HTH!</p>

<p>My kid and his roommates used Scotch tape. No damage charges.</p>

<p>Reading about the dirty fridge damages just reminded me that we left a take-out container FULL OF DREAMLAND PULLED PORK in our room fridge in Ridgecrest South North Tower. Bless my heart, I can’t believe I did that.</p>

<p>…depending on when the cleaning staff found it…neither can they! ;)</p>

<p>Any dorm damage charges would’ve already been posted. I received my non-enrolled student bill (students not enrolled in summer classes with charges/credits on their student account receive a paper bill after graduation) a week after graduation and when calling to have my refund processed, I asked if all damage charges had been posted. The cashier at the Office of Student Receivables said that all dorm damages should have been posted by that time.</p>

<p>Wow, wonder if that Dreamland warranted a fridge charge. I can’t for the life of my figure out why we got a fridge clean charge, unless the roommate didn’t take out his ice trays. No exploding beer cans during the school year or any other mess that I saw. Not that big a charge to fight, but still curious as to what warranted a charge.</p>

<p>I don’t know how it works now, but when my kids were in the Bama dorms, it was the RA report that warranted charges. And, because different RAs have different standards, the reasons for charges were a little loosey-goosey…especially if a messy roomie left early leaving messes for everyone else to clean-up.</p>

<p>I personally think leaving the Dreamland BBQ was a smart way to bribe the RA! No charges for you, TX Architect! ;)</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>I think TXArch left the Dreamland after Bama Bound. Her D hasn’t started at Bama yet.</p>

<p>^^^ Duh! Silly me! :)</p>