Weddings Minus Covid

That would be a question to ask of the venue. I would not assume they could accommodate that request as the dinners would not be prepared until much later.

3 Likes

I worked for a venue once that hosted a lot of weddings and they prohibited people from taking food off the property. It was sort of a hotel/conference center. So just saying, surely that’s not the rule for anyone but don’t assume they could box up food - ask!

3 Likes

If you are strict about that people would not be admitted without testing and would be turned away if tested positive then people who really want to go to the wedding will 1) refrain from attending risky events prior to the wedding, 2) do the testing prior to the wedding. Testing kits are free and abundant now, the guests can easily get tested themselves.
If any guests is positive then he or she should just leave. There is no need to provide another room or food for them. I don’t see any servers would want to come anywhere near infected guests and it would be unfair to ask them to do so.

4 Likes

People can be contagious without any symptoms and that’s why testing is important.

3 Likes

People who are sick with anything should NOT attend an event.

8 Likes

I’ve Been to two weddings in the last year. One of them required everyone be vaccinated, vaccine cards were uploaded to a link provided by the wedding planner. That took the burden off the wedding couple. I think they lost a couple of guests due to the requirements. It was a large wedding with Friday night dinner on a crowded outdoor patio. Wedding was ceremony outside, reception a room with two open sides. The brunch on Sunday was indoors and felt uncomfortable. This was during the delta wave and no one masked. The 2nd wedding was also during delta. It was more difficult because the groom had close family and a best friend that weren’t vaccinated. They didn’t want to exclude those people so testing was required of those unvaccinated. They did not require proof as they knew who was and wasn’t. That entire wedding was outdoors.

I went to my friend’s son’s wedding last weekend. Here’s how it went:

It was supposed to be totally outdoors, on a covered patio. But it was raining, so they had to hang plastic around the three open-air sides. But they did pull back the plastic, curtain-style, on the long side of the patio, so there was ventilation to the outdoors.

My entire table was masked. We were the only ones. Table full of doctors and their spouses. But it was totally fine. It did not interfere with enjoyment of the wedding at all. When dinner was served, we brought our plates outside (it was no longer raining), where there were couches and small tables set up near fire pits. Worked out great.

Bottom line: We were masked “indoors” (within the plastic barrier) and unmasked outdoors.

Of course, I’m not going to mask at my own child’s wedding, but my guests can comfortably feel free to do so, and we’ll set up some tables outdoors.

3 Likes

Post deleted.

@CTTC I read it as they and the people at their table were the only people/table at the wedding wearing masks.

2 Likes

Ah, ok, that makes sense! Somehow I got it into my head that the two of them were the only ones!

Attended a wedding for my niece on Saturday. Ceremony outside. Reception had indoor/outdoor space, but it started to drizzle so not a ton of use of outdoor space. About 150 people, no masks. We are 96 hours out and no reports of a COVID outbreak. My husband and I have laid low or wore masks around others since returning on Sunday, just in case. Most people were vaccinated and boosted. It was nice to celebrate and be together. We knew the risk and it has worked out so far.

3 Likes

I meant we were all wearing masks at our table. I felt very safe with the ventilation, my mask, and eating outside.

1 Like

I haven’t been to a wedding since October of 2021. Most of the guests were vaccinated and those that weren’t had all gotten tested. And they asked that if you were sick, please stay home.

1 Like

Second hand news but reliable source. Indoor wedding and reception last weekend. 20 guests only. All vaccinated. Masks were not worn at the wedding, reception or the pre-wedding dinner or post-wedding brunch. Now the bride and groom both have Covid and had to return early from the honeymoon.

My daughter went to a wedding this weekend and now has Covid, she has heard of at least one other Covid positive guest. Friday night rehearsal and Saturday wedding was all outdoors.

Bride and groom come in contact with a lot of people the week before a wedding - florists, hairdressers, tux rental guy, restaurant servers, photographers, officiants…and of course all the guests. Even if all 20 guests were vaccinated, I’m sure a lot of the others have more exposure to the public in general.

3 Likes

Currently at wedding. Step dad of groom has covid and missing it. Ceremony was outdoors, but reception is indoors, except a few people who are remaining outdoors. Delayed wedding from a year ago. Required vaccines but noone checked

Will see what happens

That’s the part that kills me every time. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Three weddings this summer…and only one is requiring testing, and vaccine verification. But really…at this point in time, I know more people who are fully vaccinated who are testing positive for COVID. And they want the testing done within 72 hours. Frankly…that window is too long.

But we will comply. Most of this one is outdoors.

The others…well…one was last week, fully indoors. And the other is also fully indoors.

We will rapid test the morning of each event…and if we are positive, we just won’t go. Both are destinations for us…but oh well.

As a practical matter, it is likely that most unvaccinated people have been infected by now. Prior infection alone is probably equivalent to one dose of vaccine* in immunity, so requiring vaccination but not booster or record of infection probably does not move the baseline level of immunity much.

*One dose of J&J is considered “fully vaccinated”.