Welcome to the new CC Forums!

For what it’s worth, regarding the scrolling on long threads - I just discovered (on a desktop, at least), on the right hand side where it shows the date of the first post, then a vertical scroll bar, then the date or time of the last response - if you click on the last response, it takes you to the bottom of the thread. Maybe that was explained somewhere but I had missed it.

Also, using Firefox - I’ve had a few instances of the “gak! your tab crashed!” error. Hopefully that’s due to bugs/performance issues still being worked out.

All my PM’s are gone. That’s too bad because I would refer to them for continuing conversations.

I don’t like the badges, don’t need incentives… Also the avatars that accompany posts are visually annoying.

I will try to adapt but this one may be too much for me. Understand the reasons. But I think newcomers will be overwhelmed. I think COVID has reduced traffic but this won’t help in my opinion.

6 Likes

90% of the time I use my ipad to access CC, but yesterday I was working on my iMac so decided to see if the new CC worked better on my computer. The lag time was actually worse, I kept getting error codes and frozen screens. At one point I had this message underneath my Safari toolbar, at which point I gave up and closed out the browser:

“ This webpage is using significant energy. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your Mac."

I’m not sure what causes that but it was enough reason for me to think this new rollout has some big kinks to work out.

2 Likes

See, this illustrates my point. It’s not easier. I don’t want to have to learn how to do things that should be intuitive.

7 Likes

The little blue dots after a post - does that mean they’re new?

The three dots, if clicked, give additional options (flag and bookmark).

This is just one blue dot after a post on the main page (latest posts).

I have what is probably a stupid question. You say to quote that I should highlight the text and a pop up with a quote button will appear. How do I do this on an iPad? I can’t figure out how to highlight text.

I do like this more than old forum.

I like the infinite scroll.

The old forum remembered where you left off in a thread… Scrolling ahead to the last message you read. I haven’t witnessed that behavior in the new. :frowning:

Earlier I tried to add a link to Twitter and it showed a cool preview of the twitter post… which I like. But then the forum wouldn’t allow the post :frowning:

I looked at my profile and it had various “badges.” One was “Basic” which means Trust Level 1. Gee, that is really something after being a member for 18 1/2 years on CC with tens of thousands of posts! :grinning: Did we all have to start over from ground zero? How will newer members get an idea of who has been around a while or posted a lot and who is new?

2 Likes

I would be able to adapt to these changes if the forum was loading properly and I could type a post without issues in less than 10 minutes. Typing is choppy. Loading is S L O W.

1 Like

I’m still feeling grouchy about the new updates, but it’s working much better now than it was yesterday, so some fixes have been made. It’s hard to be patient when the site was down for several days and we thought it would work when it reopened.

2 Likes

Where is there an easy to read reference for how to navigate this site and what the symbols mean? Links to youtube videos are way too tie consuming.

@midwest67, I have the ignore option. I tried it and it seems to be working.

A mouseover (on desktop/laptop) indicates that it means “new topic”.

Or, if you mean larger blue dots with numbers, that means the number of new posts in a thread that you have previously read.

Someone who uses IOS devices needs to answer. On Android devices, holding on some text causes it to be highlighted, with some pointers to move around to increase or decrease the amount of text highlighted.

Huge fail on my iPad.
I have to reply to a previous poster to get the keyboard to show up.
I don’t know what scroll bar others are talking about, I don’t see one in either screen orientation or when I switch from desktop to device in the settings. Typing is a major lag.

But Most Important Where are the post numbers so we can reply coherently to one another? Really, if you don’t understand why that feature is important , you really just don’t get this forum and need to fold.

2 Likes

The vast majority of us not on a computer. Please debug this on iPad’ iPhone and android.

Made that typing speed reminds me of my 1982 PCJunior.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of this new format.

I would like to see who is starting a new thread. I may or may not choose to read based on who has initiated the post.

I would like to see the amount of replies a poster has contributed over the years. Their experience is the reason I come to read the forums.

Page numbers on posts please. As well as time stamps.

The updated font is not appealing. Nothing jumps out as it is all so busy and tiny.

I thought I was liking a post earlier and was led to a giant page of emojis from which I could not escape.

I miss the Forum index, where I could easily click on Latest Posts and see what new news or threads had been added throughout the day.

I don’t like the S avatar… how does that distinguish me from the thousands of other S posters?

When I open a frequently visited thread, I am brought to post #39 - every time. When I try to scroll down to the last posts, the screen bounces, and glitches and lags with swaths of white empty space.

WHY would you choose this time frame to change a perfectly workable site? So many of our kids are in the midst of applying to schools and awaiting news.

Hoping it becomes easier to use as bugs are worked through. Now, when I click Reply, I wonder if I’m applying to the last person who posted here? If so, sorry about that!

1 Like

Oh my…Please go back to the older version. There are so many overly busy changes and everything is squished down and uncentered! I miss the old version :frowning:

2 Likes